2008 Senate Matchups: South Dakota
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:16:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2008 Senate Matchups: South Dakota
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Who would win?
Stephanie Hersheth (D)

Mike Rounds (R)

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: 2008 Senate Matchups: South Dakota  (Read 3648 times)
Conan
conan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2007, 02:58:17 PM »

Did anyone happen to see the Rounds inauguration. This man isnt a politician, he's more of a cleric. He gave more of a sermon than anything else. He's scarey in these theocratic ways.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2007, 03:24:59 PM »

Let us not forget he defeated Senator Larry Pressler in a Presidential year in which Bob Dole carried South Dakota. 

...by about 3 points.

Pressler was an incumbent in a state Dole won by a wide margin. I don't think Rounds can win (even if he is interested in taking the seat) because he was too badly damaged by the abortion referendum.

Dole didn't win the state by a wide margin! He won it by 3 points! When a gap of 15,000 votes in a state is considered a wide margin, come wake me up.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2007, 03:37:50 PM »

Let us not forget he defeated Senator Larry Pressler in a Presidential year in which Bob Dole carried South Dakota. 

...by about 3 points.

Pressler was an incumbent in a state Dole won by a wide margin. I don't think Rounds can win (even if he is interested in taking the seat) because he was too badly damaged by the abortion referendum.

Dole didn't win the state by a wide margin! He won it by 3 points! When a gap of 15,000 votes in a state is considered a wide margin, come wake me up.

ok but that's not really relevent to the point I was trying to make. Also Perot got almost 10% of the vote. The point is that if Johnson beat an incumbent under unfavorable conditions, he should also be able to defeat a challenger under less-than-favorable conditions.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2007, 03:41:45 PM »

Did anyone happen to see the Rounds inauguration. This man isnt a politician, he's more of a cleric. He gave more of a sermon than anything else. He's scarey in these theocratic ways.

Well, then I like him more than ever.  Remember, an endorsment of atheism is more dangerous than an endorsement of Christianity.
Deano963

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2007, 03:47:34 PM »

Well, then I like him more than ever.  Remember, an endorsment of atheism is more dangerous than an endorsement of Christianity.

Yes, b/c there is obviously no middle ground between endorsing an atheist society and endorsing a theocratic one.....
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2007, 04:01:27 PM »

...by about 3 points.

ok but that's not really relevent to the point I was trying to make. Also Perot got almost 10% of the vote. The point is that if Johnson beat an incumbent under unfavorable conditions, he should also be able to defeat a challenger under less-than-favorable conditions.

No, it isn't at all. The point you made that I responded to was the fact that Johnson beat Pressler while Dole carried the state. Regardless if Perot got nearly 10 percent or not, the fact is Dole only would have won with about 53% or so, at the most if he had some of Perots support. 

I support Johnson, but it's still too early to see what capacity this man will be in two years. I hope he makes a great recovery, and is re-elected to the Senate, because we need people like him. But if he isn't in the best condition, would it really be the best for the state to re-elect a man who isn't going to be able to be out there fighting for South Dakotas values.
Rococo4

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2007, 05:26:45 PM »

If Johnson runs, he is a virtual lock to win after what happened - if he recovers.  If not Herseth v. Rounds would be a titanic battle - I 'd probably say Herseth actually starting out slightly favored.  But it would be a good race.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2007, 08:12:53 PM »

He was impressive. No doubt that the man is a great speaker.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2007, 08:15:26 PM »

Stephanie Herseth would likely win in that year, though given South Dakota's traditionally Republican allegiance and the fact that Governor Mike Rounds is a top-tier candidate, it will be a closely fought race that will be decided within a few percentage points. 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies