Allard: No third term
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:21:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Allard: No third term
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Allard: No third term  (Read 4755 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2007, 11:48:33 PM »

Looks like another pickup for the Democrats.  If that is the case, the Democratic Presidential Candidate would have a great chance in Colorado with two Democratic Senators and four of the seven House seats being held by Democrats.

This is also a good foothold for the Democrats to take to relinquish the GOP grip on the Southwest, and might, just might, help tap into the strong GOP hold of the Northern Plains.  Wyoming and Utah are strong GOP no matter what, and probably so is Nebraska.  Though, Utah is more likely than Wyoming to go Democrat with a Democrat Mayor in Salt Lake City.

With the Democrats making inroads in Nevada and already a strong presence in New Mexico, and a Democrat Governor in Arizona, the entire Southwest might start turning blue slowly but surely.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2007, 11:48:48 PM »

I fear this race would only serve as a good opportunity to rid ourselves of either Musgrave or Tancredo.

You better watch your words, or you might find DWTL with a pickax at your door... Tongue
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2007, 11:59:50 PM »

I highly doubt  Allard's choice to drop out had anything to do with him wanting to be true to his word about term limits.  I would say it has much more to do with him knowing that he didn't have a chance in hell at holding on to his seat.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2007, 10:14:48 AM »

I agree that McInnis would be a stronger candidate than Schaffer, who was defeated by Pete Coors in the 2004 GOP Senate Primary and who represented CO-4.  He is probably now too conservative statewide. 

As for Hickenlooper running, he passed up opportunities to run for the Senate in 2004 and Governor in 2006; I can't see him being interested given that Udall is already the declared Democratic candidate and the unanimous choice of the Party.  One factor that will definitely work in Udall's favour is that he already has money and organisation from his announcement in March 2005.  The Republican candidate will have none of these until they are nominated. 
Deano963

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2007, 12:16:31 PM »

I fear this race would only serve as a good opportunity to rid ourselves of either Musgrave or Tancredo.

Oh don't worry, I'm sure they would both be replaced by someone just as crazy if either vacated their seats.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2007, 02:39:38 PM »

i wish nighthorse campbell would come out of retirement.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2007, 02:40:55 PM »

i wish nighthorse campbell would come out of retirement.

He retired for health reasons so don't count on it.
08watch

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2007, 03:22:39 PM »

Looks like another pickup for the Democrats.  If that is the case, the Democratic Presidential Candidate would have a great chance in Colorado with two Democratic Senators and four of the seven House seats being held by Democrats.

This is also a good foothold for the Democrats to take to relinquish the GOP grip on the Southwest, and might, just might, help tap into the strong GOP hold of the Northern Plains.  Wyoming and Utah are strong GOP no matter what, and probably so is Nebraska.  Though, Utah is more likely than Wyoming to go Democrat with a Democrat Mayor in Salt Lake City.

With the Democrats making inroads in Nevada and already a strong presence in New Mexico, and a Democrat Governor in Arizona, the entire Southwest might start turning blue slowly but surely.

Wouldn't it be a hoot if they did the DC/Utah house seat thing and the Democrats then won Utah?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2007, 03:25:39 PM »

Wouldn't it be a hoot if they did the DC/Utah house seat thing and the Democrats then won Utah?

It'd be less of a 'hoot' and more of a 'wtf?!'
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2007, 03:56:12 PM »

The only way to get a non wingnut in those seats is for a Democrat to win. Do you really think the wingnuts are going to vote for a non-wingnut to succeed a wingnut?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2007, 04:39:00 PM »

You better watch your words, or you might find DWTL with a pickax at your door... Tongue

Plus immediatley change your party affiliation Smiley

IF the immigration debate heats up more, and IF Tancredo can paint himself as sane, I see him making this race a tossup till the bitter end.  It's way to far out to definitivley count Tancredo out, who thought Sherrod Brown would be Ohio's next senator in January 2005?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2007, 04:50:34 PM »

IF the immigration debate heats up more, and IF Tancredo can paint himself as sane, I see him making this race a tossup till the bitter end.  It's way to far out to definitivley count Tancredo out, who thought Sherrod Brown would be Ohio's next senator in January 2005?

I predicted that he would win IF he ran (which I didn't think he would)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2007, 04:52:55 PM »

Your right, Tom Tancredo will be too busy being president to run for Senate Smiley

Tom Tancredo should have a shrine dedicated to him, he is the most forthright and amazing American politician in history

What kind of shrine should we erect for Mr. Tancredo?  Something tells me boxcars should be a part of it...
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2007, 04:54:38 PM »

Also, please never compair Tancredo to Sherrod, thank you!
Deano963

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2007, 05:15:46 PM »

Well, no one did, b/c in January 2005 Sherrod Brown had not even announced his candidacy.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2007, 07:29:16 PM »

It's way to far out to definitivley count Tancredo out, who thought Sherrod Brown would be Ohio's next senator in January 2005?

Well, no one did, b/c in January 2005 Sherrod Brown had not even announced his candidacy.

And nor has Tancredo announced his candidacy for this seat.  That was what he was getting at.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2007, 07:34:54 PM »

It's way to far out to definitivley count Tancredo out, who thought Sherrod Brown would be Ohio's next senator in January 2005?

And nor has Tancredo announced his candidacy for this seat.  That was what he was getting at.

Not only that, but my major point is it is impossible to definitivley call a race almost 2 years beforehand
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2007, 07:38:12 PM »

A much better example would have been predicting back in Jan. '05 that George Allen would now be out of office.  Essentially I agree with you, but I still find it incredibly unlikely that Tancredo would even finish within ten points of victory.  The dynamic simply isn't there for him.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2007, 08:42:31 PM »

The Tancredo:Brown comparison is pretty ridiculous since Brown's pet issue, fighting unfair free trade deals and preserving jobs at home, is exactly the type of thing that plays very well in Ohio. The same is not true of Tancredo's, even if Coloradans don't like illegal immigration, it's unlikely the majority share his insane views (and if you think they do, give my congratulations to Rep. Randy Graf). Brown also isn't anywhere near as gaffe-prone (did he ever compare a major US city to a third world country?) and benefited greatly from the toxic political climate for Republicans, doubled in Ohio thanks to Bob Taft.

Oh yeah, you can bet with Tancredo as the nominee Hispanic turnout isn't going to be low, and we all know how they're going to be voting.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2007, 09:44:03 PM »

The Tancredo:Brown comparison is pretty ridiculous since Brown's pet issue, fighting unfair free trade deals and preserving jobs at home, is exactly the type of thing that plays very well in Ohio. The same is not true of Tancredo's, even if Coloradans don't like illegal immigration, it's unlikely the majority share his insane views (and if you think they do, give my congratulations to Rep. Randy Graf). Brown also isn't anywhere near as gaffe-prone (did he ever compare a major US city to a third world country?) and benefited greatly from the toxic political climate for Republicans, doubled in Ohio thanks to Bob Taft.

Oh yeah, you can bet with Tancredo as the nominee Hispanic turnout isn't going to be low, and we all know how they're going to be voting.

You seem to be confused as many Hispanics share Tancredo's view on immigartion, especially those who came here legally and feel cheated
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2007, 10:31:37 PM »

You seem to be confused as many Hispanics share Tancredo's view on immigartion, especially those who came here legally and feel cheated

Umm ok, maybe a few do...

but how many of them are going to support a racist scumbag like Tancredo?Huh?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2007, 10:36:57 PM »

Rep. Randy Graf sure did well among Hispanics in his victorious run for Congress, didn't he?
Deano963

« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2007, 10:51:35 PM »

No, I think what DWTL was trying to say was "who would have thought that Sherrod Brown could have defeated Mike Dewine in January 2005"?

And the answer to that question of course was myself and many other Democrats. Sherrod Brown was and is a very strong Ohio politician, with very, very strong ties to labor, minorities and a populist platform with broad cross-party appeal with previous statewide office experience. Tancredo is none of those things.

What makes this a very bad comparison is that Sherrod Brown was far more electable and closer to the political center statewide in Ohio than Tom Tancredo is in Colorado. So the usual stipulation of "well, you never know, a lot of things can happen in 2 years" dosen't really apply. A better comparison for Tom Tancredo would be to Katherine Harris in Florida.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2007, 11:52:16 PM »

Tancredo is too busy off on his odyssey for President to be bothered with a Senate seat.

Likely the GOP nomination will be between McInnis, Schaeffer and Owens (should one of the three choose to enter), though someone could arise out of nowhere; there are some other Republican names I'm forgetting most likely.

I suspect Musgrave is actually too intelligent to consider running for Senate.  I am pretty sure that she can do the numbers she receives within her own district and transpose that out on the statewide scale.  Tancredo doesn't have that intelligence. (yes, Musgrave is smarter than Tancredo)

Still way too early to know for sure.  This seat will be a tough one for the GOP to hold (depending on the national environment), but I still get a kick out of the whole "Colorado rapidly moving left" thingy.  Since most posters don't remember the 1980s, it is quite understandable, however.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2007, 12:43:45 AM »

Kiss of death? Tancredo urging McInnis to run. Does Tancredo realize that his efforts likely encourage others to do the opposite or at least strongly reconsider what they're about to do? I wonder if McInnis will warmly accept the endorsement?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies