Edwards rejects VP slot?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:52:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Edwards rejects VP slot?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Edwards rejects VP slot?  (Read 7680 times)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2004, 06:05:47 PM »
« edited: January 28, 2004, 06:13:57 PM by hughento »

How about Tom Hrkin for a prominent Democratic midwesterner? Been a senator for IA since the 80's and before that he was in the house for a decade...

Lane Evans from Illinois has also been around since before I was born...
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2004, 08:01:47 PM »

How about Tom Hrkin for a prominent Democratic midwesterner? Been a senator for IA since the 80's and before that he was in the house for a decade...

Harkin is too liberal.
jravnsbo

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2004, 09:41:17 PM »

yeah but so is Kerry and he is running Smiley

Harkin is too liberal.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2004, 09:43:49 PM »

maybe it's a good if Harkin is the VP since he's a liberal it will help the republicans.
bejkuy

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2004, 06:58:14 PM »

If I was the Dem nominee I would definately select a southerner for a running mate.

He's a little out there, but I think Bob Graham could be a great VP for the dems and could give them a *shot* at Florida.  

Not much long term mileage out of him though.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2004, 08:27:21 PM »

If I was the Dem nominee I would definately select a southerner for a running mate.

He's a little out there, but I think Bob Graham could be a great VP for the dems and could give them a *shot* at Florida.  

Not much long term mileage out of him though.
Florida's big, 27ev's.  bill Nelson may be the better choice out of FLA.
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2004, 08:39:45 PM »

Nelson would indeed be a better choice out of Florida than goofball Bob.  That said, with Kerry at the head of the ticket, dems would be better to look to someone from the midwest.  However, I also agree with Miami that that someone should not be Harkin.  He absolutely is too liberal.

Thing about Florida is that since 2000 it has been trending more Republican.  That, and expect Bush to do somewhat better among jews in South Florida than he did in 2000.  Kerry will need to almost sweep all battleground states outside the South.  Expecting a Massachusetts liberal with a record at least as liberal as Ted kennedy to have more success  in the South than Gore is a pipedream.  And it doesn't matter how many times Kerry mentions Vietnam.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2004, 08:42:33 PM »

Florida isn't really the south, remember, lots of my relatives live down there, from NY.

Graham isn't that popular in florida anymore, he turned people off with his bush bashing.  Nelson voted for the war, which helps the floridian cause.
jravnsbo

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2004, 12:10:48 AM »

always go back to the side note of the senate.  Lets say Kerry picks Nelson and they win.  That gives the GOP 2 more senate seats.  Maybe a small price for the Presidency, but also gives GOP the senate for a long while.
jravnsbo

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2004, 12:25:04 AM »

hmmm  Senator Katherine Harris by appointment, nice!
Mort from NewYawk
MortfromNewYawk

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2004, 11:06:55 AM »

Perhaps this is a quirky idea, but how about former Senator Jeanne Carnahan of Missouri?

Endorsed Kerry yesterday, national name recognition.

Not sure that she has the ambition to be VP, though.
jravnsbo

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2004, 11:12:39 AM »

Well she would have female appeal and help in MO, but unclear if she could carry MO.  She lost in 2002 to Senator Jim Talent, while it was close she still lost.

Plus she was never elected to the post and only took over for her dead husband, who won on a sypathy vote.

Perhaps this is a quirky idea, but how about former Senator Jeanne Carnahan of Missouri?

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2004, 01:32:06 PM »

Florida isn't really the south, remember, lots of my relatives live down there, from NY.

Graham isn't that popular in florida anymore, he turned people off with his bush bashing.  Nelson voted for the war, which helps the floridian cause.

I agree, Florida nowadays is too different to be counted as a Southern state, nowhere near the same voting patterns.
NHPolitico

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2004, 01:41:36 PM »

Jean Carnahan was a lousy candidate in 2002.  She's never won an election on her own. That would be a dumb idea. The only thing that is sensible about it is that Missouri is a good Midwestern state for a national candidate to come from.
NHPolitico

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2004, 02:11:50 PM »

always go back to the side note of the senate.  Lets say Kerry picks Nelson and they win.  That gives the GOP 2 more senate seats.  Maybe a small price for the Presidency, but also gives GOP the senate for a long while.

You know, if Kerry were to win, I'm not the least bit sure that Romney would appoint a Republican to replace him.  Romney wants to win re-election. He might appoint someone like Steve Grossman who is much more conservative than Kerry.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2004, 02:22:18 PM »

You know, if Kerry were to win, I'm not the least bit sure that Romney would appoint a Republican to replace him.  Romney wants to win re-election. He might appoint someone like Steve Grossman who is much more conservative than Kerry.

Exactly, particuarly given the fact that Mass. has a very thin GOP base. I'm sure the Dem Gov. nominee in 2006 could use it against him. Had Lieberman been elected in a 2000, it would have been a similar situation, but at least Rowland could have gotten away with appointing Representatives Shays or Johnson. Outside of Gov. and Lt. Gov., Dems pretty much control everything in Mass.
NHPolitico

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2004, 02:38:50 PM »

Exactly, particuarly given the fact that Mass. has a very thin GOP base. I'm sure the Dem Gov. nominee in 2006 could use it against him. Had Lieberman been elected in a 2000, it would have been a similar situation, but at least Rowland could have gotten away with appointing Representatives Shays or Johnson. Outside of Gov. and Lt. Gov., Dems pretty much control everything in Mass.

I thought of a couple of other improvements on Kerry-- Tom Finneran and Stephen Lynch.
jravnsbo

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2004, 04:59:08 PM »

who is LT Gov in Mass, a possible replacement, but Bush will crush carry anyway so just speculation.  "We want Kerry" we want kerry"  lets starta chant. Smiley

I thought of a couple of other improvements on Kerry-- Tom Finneran and Stephen Lynch.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2004, 06:19:52 PM »

How about Tom Vilsack, the Governor of IA?

He won very solidly over Doug Gross in the election.

He is reasonably moderate, and is reasonably well known, especially after the caucus.

He is President of the Democratic Governor's Association...

And he is from the midwest.

He would deliver IA, maybe OH, and MN, IMHO.
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2004, 06:40:38 PM »

Uh, I don't think the governor of Iowa is going to deliver Ohio.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2004, 06:49:02 PM »

He is a midwesterner, and a rust-beltian. He would certainly increase the chances, certainly moreso then and Floridian.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies