Edwards rejects VP slot?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:36:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Edwards rejects VP slot?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Edwards rejects VP slot?  (Read 7675 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 28, 2004, 01:42:13 PM »

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2004/01/28/politics0813EST0501.DTL&type=printable

Presidential candidate John Edwards on Wednesday rejected any notion of sharing the Democratic ticket with front-running rival John Kerry -- unless he is at the top.

Asked on NBC's "Today" show if he would accept second place on the Democratic slate to face President Bush in the fall election, Edwards said: "I think you've got the order reversed. I intend to be the nominee."

Edwards said he would not be willing to be No. 2. "No, no. Final. I don't want to be vice president. I'm running for president," he said.

---

Never thought Edwards would be a good pick for VP.  Kerry, if nominated, needs to look for a running mate from Ohio.
emergingDmajority1
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2004, 01:54:57 PM »

why would Edwards say now that he is even thinking about the VP spot? He's got to keep his eye on the prize and his supporters energized.
jravnsbo

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2004, 02:33:43 PM »

no major dems from Ohio though.

He has to worry about the gore states first.  Commentators are already taking apart his record and talking he will have t o runa northern strategy and divide the country to win.  Great!  bring it on!  Bush goes everywhere and will make him earn those Gore states.

His gun control voting record alone will sink Kerry inthe south.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2004/01/28/politics0813EST0501.DTL&type=printable

Presidential candidate John Edwards on Wednesday rejected any notion of sharing the Democratic ticket with front-running rival John Kerry -- unless he is at the top.

Asked on NBC's "Today" show if he would accept second place on the Democratic slate to face President Bush in the fall election, Edwards said: "I think you've got the order reversed. I intend to be the nominee."

Edwards said he would not be willing to be No. 2. "No, no. Final. I don't want to be vice president. I'm running for president," he said.

---

Never thought Edwards would be a good pick for VP.  Kerry, if nominated, needs to look for a running mate from Ohio.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2004, 02:37:08 PM »

Yeah, the Dems had gotten smart and had left the gun issue alone, now it is back with Kerry.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2004, 04:07:03 PM »

Edwards might help in the south if he was the VP nomminee he say no because he wants the presidential nommination.

The gun issue is bad news for the democrats they should leave it alone but it will most likely come up.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2004, 04:10:08 PM »

Edwards might help in the south if he was the VP nomminee he say no because he wants the presidential nommination.

Exactly. I mean, what else is he supposed to say? "Oh yeah, I really want to be someone else's running mate, I'm just doing all this camaigning for a laugh and people who are throwing all their weight behind me and supporting me are wasting their time."
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2004, 04:12:45 PM »

If Edwards has to drop out he would most likely take the VP spot.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2004, 04:14:47 PM »

Yes, and in my opinion he's got running mate written all over him, but for as long as he's campaigning he will have to look as if he isn't interested in the VP slot. That and he still has a realistic chance of winning the nominaiton.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2004, 04:37:51 PM »

Yep, JMF, Jerry Springer would be a great Ohio VP now that you mention it.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2004, 04:42:22 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2004, 04:43:33 PM by jmfcst »

Edwards would've been defeated for reelection to the Senate.  He brings NOTHING, not one single state, to Kerry.

All of these candidates know that either Hillary or Gore is going to be the nominee in 2008.  Accepting a VP slot does nothing for Edwards.
jravnsbo

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2004, 04:43:36 PM »

Dean can neutralize the issue but Kerry can't.  Sad day for dems when Dean is looking more moderate than Kerry, especially when Kerry has been treated with Kid gloves and Dean has been taking body blows from the media.

Yeah, the Dems had gotten smart and had left the gun issue alone, now it is back with Kerry.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2004, 04:44:02 PM »

Edwards would've been defeated for reelection to the Senate.  He brings NOTHING, not one single state, to Kerry.

All of these candidates know that either Hillary or Gore is going to the nominee in 2008.  Accepting a VP slot does nothing for Edwards.
Do you think Gore could win in 2008?  I don't.

Edwards would have been in a close race for senate re-election, you can't definitely say that he would have lost it.
jravnsbo

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2004, 04:45:18 PM »

it gives hima platform for 2008, otherwise the dream is dead forever.  No one will care about him if he is just a dem primary loser ina weak field and no longer a senator.

All of these candidates know that either Hillary or Gore is going to be the nominee in 2008.  Accepting a VP slot does nothing for Edwards.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2004, 04:50:32 PM »

Do you think Gore could win in 2008?  I don't.

Edwards would have been in a close race for senate re-election, you can't definitely say that he would have lost it.

I think it will be Hillary, but if she doesn't run, Gore could probably take it.

Edwards would have been the underdog, and it is very doubtful he could deliver NC to Kerry.  Clark would have a better chance with Arkansas if Kerry chooses him.

Bush will lose at most one Southern state in a 50/50 election, and Bush will only lose one if Kerry has a Southern on the ticket.  Trying to win Ark with Clark or NC with Edwards is not worth the risk.  IMO

Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2004, 04:58:42 PM »

hopefully if Hillary rus she will lose she would make a horrorable president.  Edwards can't deliver North Carolina the south will most likely go republican
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2004, 05:21:13 PM »

Edwards is a good choice for VP; whilst he wouldn't win NC, he would make FL, AK and Louisiana contestable.

I think that for Kerry, it has to be a midwesterner though; Kerry/Edwards would have trrouble keeping IA, MN and WI, and have no chance at gaining Missouri.

With someone from this area, they might win MO and would prolly keep MN and IA.

Better chance at winning Mo wuith a midwesterner then FL with a southerner, I'd say.

Maybe it could be Gephardt?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2004, 05:26:46 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2004, 05:27:25 PM by jmfcst »

I don't see how LA, Ark, or FL would care about a VP from NC.  
jravnsbo

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2004, 05:38:12 PM »

yeah but people don't vote for a Pvp as much as they do for a President and Kerry's liberal record wsill not play well in those states.

Edwards is a good choice for VP; whilst he wouldn't win NC, he would make FL, AK and Louisiana contestable.

I think that for Kerry, it has to be a midwesterner though; Kerry/Edwards would have trrouble keeping IA, MN and WI, and have no chance at gaining Missouri.

Better chance at winning Mo wuith a midwesterner then FL with a southerner, I'd say.

emergingDmajority1
Rookie

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2004, 05:39:47 PM »

To make the biggest impact on the south & midwest, you need 2 southerners on the ticket, not 1.

Edwards/Gephardt
Edwards/Breaux
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2004, 05:40:40 PM »

with a moderate midwesterner, Kerry would have MO, IA and MN in the bag.
jravnsbo

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2004, 05:41:50 PM »

edwards needs to worry about SC first.  Honestly I think he could have a shot if he wins it and then comes TN and VA soon after.  Plus if Clark could win OK and Dean out west they continue to keep Kerry down in delegates and we could have a close race for a while.

To make the biggest impact on the south & midwest, you need 2 southerners on the ticket, not 1.

Edwards/Gephardt
Edwards/Breaux
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2004, 05:45:41 PM »

Breaux voted for all the Bush tax cuts, I can't see him as Kerry's VP (Edwards can't win the nomination, so a Edwards/Breaux ticket is out of the question).  

Breaux could be Bush if he were at the top of the ticket...but the Dems who could beat Bush aren't running.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2004, 05:47:57 PM »

Breaux voted for all the Bush tax cuts, I can't see him as Kerry's VP (Edwards can't win the nomination, so a Edwards/Breaux ticket is out of the question).  

Breaux could be Bush if he were at the top of the ticket...but the Dems who could beat Bush aren't running.

Well, if the Dems ran a Republican the election would only be interesting from a technical view-point, not idelogically.
HoopsCubs
Rookie

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2004, 05:48:01 PM »

I'll give you an alternate scenario.  What if Kerry picked Bill Richardson, Governor of New Mexico, or Bill Nelson, Senator of Florida?

Here's my thinking.  Kerry has to win Ohio, West Virginia and New Hampshire on his own.  Tough, very tough in fact, but do-able if certain things can go his way.   If he picks Richardson (part Hispanic), he has a decent shot at winning Arizona and Nevada.  And maybe, just maybe, the Hispanic population of Dade and Broward (5 years removed from Elian) looks at Kerry-Richardson favorably to just offset the heavy Republican vote from the Gulf Coast and Panhandle - long-shot.  If he picks Nelson, Kerry may not win Arizona or Nevada, but has a solid shot at Florida.

As I understand it, Gephardt is not liked in Missouri other than in his own district.  He would not deliver Missouri to Kerry.  If you need to pick a Midwesterner, you need one who can guarantee Ohio.  No such Democrat exists.

I think the VP comes from Florida or Southwest.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2004, 05:50:56 PM »

I'll give you an alternate scenario.  What if Kerry picked Bill Richardson, Governor of New Mexico, or Bill Nelson, Senator of Florida?

Here's my thinking.  Kerry has to win Ohio, West Virginia and New Hampshire on his own.  Tough, very tough in fact, but do-able if certain things can go his way.   If he picks Richardson (part Hispanic), he has a decent shot at winning Arizona and Nevada.  And maybe, just maybe, the Hispanic population of Dade and Broward (5 years removed from Elian) looks at Kerry-Richardson favorably to just offset the heavy Republican vote from the Gulf Coast and Panhandle - long-shot.  If he picks Nelson, Kerry may not win Arizona or Nevada, but has a solid shot at Florida.

As I understand it, Gephardt is not liked in Missouri other than in his own district.  He would not deliver Missouri to Kerry.  If you need to pick a Midwesterner, you need one who can guarantee Ohio.  No such Democrat exists.

I think the VP comes from Florida or Southwest.

Good points. Also, Ohio has the economy and steel issues to work in favour of the Dems, so the VP-requirement is smaller there.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies