300 years of union
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:20:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  300 years of union
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 300 years of union  (Read 3909 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 16, 2007, 12:34:31 PM »

Today marks 300 years since the signing of the Act of Union between Scotland and England. So begins a series of national debates and a 'roadshow' organised by The Scotsman newspaper in the run up to the May elections as Gordon Brown prepares to head north and arguing in favour of saving his job the Union with David Cameron expected to do likewise.

And me? I hold out hope for every option, but after a barrage of quite offensive rhetoric from Reid/Brown reminiscent of the 'no' campaign in '97 (and would have greatly upset Dewar) a very loose union with full fiscal independence and further devolution of power is probably the only case I could have for maintaining the Union at present.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 12:44:19 PM »

I'm a staunch Unionist because I feel the whole (i.e. the United Kingdom) is greater than any of its constituent parts (i.e. England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales)

Furthermore, I never refer to myself as English, only British

Dave
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 12:50:06 PM »

"Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush."

Sorry, couldn't resist.  Wink
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 12:52:45 PM »

I'm a staunch Unionist because I feel the whole (i.e. the United Kingdom) is greater than any of its constituent parts (i.e. England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales)

Dave

Here's a random question: As I understand it, "British" refers to someone residing in Great Britain.  Is there any term for someone residing in all of the UK, or can you use "British" for that as well?

I ask because I've always wondered what you call someone from the UK.  "United Kingdoman"? Tongue
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 12:57:25 PM »

Dave

Here's a random question: As I understand it, "British" refers to someone residing in Great Britain.  Is there any term for someone residing in all of the UK, or can you use "British" for that as well?

I ask because I've always wondered what you call someone from the UK.  "United Kingdoman"? Tongue

Well, I suppose you could encompass the Irish in the term British in a loose sense.  The two are called the British Isles.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 12:58:20 PM »

"Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush."

Sorry, couldn't resist.  Wink

'Those days are past now
And in the past they must remain
But we can still rise now
And be the nation again'

Smiley

Seriously the infamous verse in God Save the Queen related to Jacobites and contemporary politics not to Scots in general; though it isn't really sung anymore.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 01:00:02 PM »

The Newsnight poll of this is worth a look through: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/16_01_07_union.pdf

In the long run, I suspect we'll see greater devolution away from Whitehall, both to Holyrood and Cardiff, but also to some form of devolved government/governments in England (although quite what form that would take is hard to tell).
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 01:00:22 PM »

Dave

Not that I know of. I know in Northern Ireland, most unionists define themselves as "British"; while nationalists consider themselves "Irish"

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well, that along with such other possibilities as "United Kingdomlander" don't quite roll off the tongue as easily as "British"

Dave
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 01:01:59 PM »

Yes you can, and 'tis normal to do so. After all, the word Britain refers to the entire collection of rainy islands north of France, not just the biggest one Grin
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 01:03:17 PM »

Dave

Not that I know of. I know in Northern Ireland, most unionists define themselves as "British"; while nationalists consider themselves "Irish"

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well, that along with such other possibilities as "United Kingdomlander" don't quite roll off the tongue as easily as "British"

Dave

So the answer is basically "no, there is no well-defined term for people living in all of the UK"?

Yes you can, and 'tis normal to do so. After all, the word Britain refers to the entire collection of rainy islands north of France, not just the biggest one Grin

Well sure, but then you're calling people from Ireland "British", and that sounds even more wrong. Tongue
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 01:06:17 PM »

Well sure, but then you're calling people from Ireland "British", and that sounds even more wrong. Tongue

Are we talking about the island of Ireland here or just the Republic?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 01:10:00 PM »

Are we talking about the island of Ireland here or just the Republic?

The Republic; given that the people from Northern Ireland are at least officially attached to Great Britain, it doesn't sound quite as weird to call them "British".

I'm aware that the British Isles includes all of the islands up there, but it still doesn't really sound right to call them "British".
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 01:12:31 PM »

I'm aware that the British Isles includes all of the islands up there, but it still doesn't really sound right to call them "British".

True, but that's because the word has come to mean something else.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 01:25:48 PM »

The Republic; given that the people from Northern Ireland are at least officially attached to Great Britain, it doesn't sound quite as weird to call them "British".

Not only does it not sound right, it isn't right. At least, no more so than to refer to you as an American based on the fact that you're from the Americas, for example.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007, 03:40:54 PM »

Not only does it not sound right, it isn't right. At least, no more so than to refer to you as an American based on the fact that you're from the Americas, for example.

Well he ought to be an American. 54°40' or fight!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2007, 03:56:40 PM »

Gabu is an American though. As am I. We are from the American continent.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2007, 04:39:44 PM »

Is the UK going to become, gasp...a federal system?
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2007, 04:52:16 PM »

May it last 300 more years, the nationalists can go to hell, be proud to be British, be proud to be the last real people on the continent, the english aren't enslaving anyone anymore, a split based on ancient animosity will only ruin the success that post war Britain can become.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2007, 04:54:17 PM »

May it last 300 more years, the nationalists can go to hell, be proud to be British, be proud to be the last real people on the continent, the english aren't enslaving anyone anymore, a split based on ancient animosity will only ruin the success that post war Britain can become.

My God, you make it sound like Britain is a failure or such...the only area where I think American culture is superior is in cuisine...and that seems to be changing.

(Dentistry too :-p)
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2007, 05:24:45 PM »

My God, you make it sound like Britain is a failure or such...the only area where I think American culture is superior is in cuisine...and that seems to be changing.

(Dentistry too :-p)

She's not a failure in the least, it would just be an absolute disgrace for my children to look on the map when they are young and see three countries instead of one, I'm proud to be Welsh, sure the English are pale little cowards and the Scots are bucktoothed hicks, (they're quick to remind us Welsh of our.... thing for sheep) but it's one country, one union, something to be supremely proud of, people these days just have no pride, no pride at all.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2007, 05:46:15 PM »

The "British Isles"? I thought they were called the North West European Archipelago by now. Grin No seriously... Irish Nationalists apparently used that term for a while.
And the "original" meaning of British is, of course, basically synonymous with the modern term "Welsh".
Since the inhabitant of a "kingdom" is a "subject", someone from the UK could be termed a United Subject, don't you think?

Okay. Seriously. There are lots of people in England whose "nation" is definitely Great Britain (or the UK... but I think Great Britain's more accurate.), not England. Especially if their ancestors came from the continent less than 300 years ago. But Scots do tend to think of Scotland as their nation, even those that're opposed to full independence.
One of my pet theories. Great Britain is a nation, Scotland is a nation. Nations seldom occupy plots of land exclusively from other nations. Which is why nationalism is a wrong and misguided concept at core.
As I said, pet theory.

afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2007, 05:56:43 PM »

National identity is often constructed, and can go through periods of growth or repression. 'Modern' Scottish identity is somewhat more inclusive, perhaps even more 'non threatening' than English or British national identity- polls show that ethnic and religious minorities feel a closer attachment to a Scottish identity (as their main, or partial identity) than they do to that of Britain. In celebrating the arts there is less of an intentional (or guilt induced) seperation of Scottish and minority culture in that identity. It's the little things, tartan at a Sikh wedding, support for the national team in sports that is successful. Flag waving jingoe is pointless, as the celebration of national identity is a celebration of being Scottish and not necessarily Scotland and belonging to the land or the institutions of the land etc. This isn't modern either, it's a vein that runs through centuries.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2007, 06:10:53 PM »

'Modern' Scottish identity is somewhat more inclusive, perhaps even more 'non threatening' than English or British national identity- polls show that ethnic and religious minorities feel a closer attachment to a Scottish identity (as their main, or partial identity) than they do to that of Britain.

...to people and minorites in Scotland. Which is part of the problem with nationalism o/c; it always looks different, very different, from the outside.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2007, 06:16:42 PM »

'Modern' Scottish identity is somewhat more inclusive, perhaps even more 'non threatening' than English or British national identity- polls show that ethnic and religious minorities feel a closer attachment to a Scottish identity (as their main, or partial identity) than they do to that of Britain.

...to people and minorites in Scotland. Which is part of the problem with nationalism o/c; it always looks different, very different, from the outside.

Which can work to ones advantage if you want to portray Scotland and England hating each others guts- which is as far from the case as possible. To be fair a better example of a modern constructed national identity would be Wales was is still evolving. By constructed I dont mean thats it's false, just that it's forged by modern culture and institutions and events, even things such as a relitively recent flag and adoption of capital city.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2007, 06:21:52 PM »

Which can work to ones advantage if you want to portray Scotland and England hating each others guts- which is as far from the case as possible. To be fair a better example of a modern constructed national identity would be Wales was is still evolving. By constructed I dont mean thats it's false, just that it's forged by modern culture and institutions and events, even things such as a relitively recent flag and adoption of capital city.

Certainly weren't English before Cardiff became the capital.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies