Baucus to Help Johnson Raise Money
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:26:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Baucus to Help Johnson Raise Money
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Baucus to Help Johnson Raise Money  (Read 1417 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 17, 2007, 01:36:11 PM »

Sen. Max Baucus (D-MT), "who is up for re-election this cycle, has formed a special fundraising account to help" Sen. Tim Johnson (D-SD) "raise money for a prospective 2008 bid while recovering from emergency brain surgery," reports Roll Call.

Baucus "finalized the creation of the Baucus-Johnson Victory Fund, a joint fundraising committee that allows Baucus to simultaneously raise money for his re-election as well as Johnson’s."

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2007/01/17/baucus_to_help_johnson_raise_money.html

I would really like to praise Senator Max Baucus for his graciousness and kindness; lets keep both of them in the Senate!
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 01:45:57 PM »

Yep, Johnson is going to run again.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 01:59:34 PM »

im sorry.  but if you are bedridden in the hospital, you shouldnt be thinking of running again.

MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 02:40:33 PM »

im sorry.  but if you are bedridden in the hospital, you shouldnt be thinking of running again.

he isnt, which is why baucus is doing this.
Conan
conan

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 02:51:25 PM »

Good for Baucus. Johnson is an incredibly popular senator. I just hope he wants to continue to serve. The Johnson family must have let Baucus know he wanted to run again.
Deano963

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 03:45:36 PM »

This was never in doubt. Although, to listen to some people on this forum, one would get the impression that Johnson had already retired, Herseth had then ran for his seat against Governor Rounds and defeated him in a landslide and was now the Junior Senator from South Dakota.

If you would bother to read up on Johnson's updated condition, you would know that he is not bedridden and his recovery is expected to take several months, but he is expected to make a full recovery nonetheless.

And I suppose you would be saying that same thing about Sen. Crapo if in the event of his retirement it was very likely that a Democrat would pick up his seat?
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 01:03:34 AM »

So say for example, if you were fighting an agressive form of cancer and had a low chance of survival given your age and the type of cancer you have. Would you resign from the Senate to spend your remaining days with your family fighting this disease or would you continue on with your duties in Congress?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 08:08:07 PM »

So when we are unable to make our own political decisions, especially when it comes to seeking office again after a life threatening condition, we can turn to the senior Senator from Montana. Thanks, Max. You're too kind.

By the way, did he even talk this over with the Johnson family?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 09:36:05 PM »

Geez guys, Johnson's "stroke" (it was even a real stroke by a strict medical definition) wasn't that serious or life-threatening. Biden had a similar stroke in the past and took 8 months off the Senate, but now he's fine. Johnson has plenty of time to recover before 2008.
Deano963

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 09:46:40 PM »

So when we are unable to make our own political decisions, especially when it comes to seeking office again after a life threatening condition, we can turn to the senior Senator from Montana. Thanks, Max. You're too kind.

None of this post made any sense whatsoever.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 03:20:44 AM »

I think what he's trying to say is that it is unclear as to whether Baucus even consulted with Johnson or his family before launching this thing.  If not, that is pretty rude and presumptuous of him.  If so, it is very generous.
Deano963

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 04:14:09 PM »
« Edited: January 19, 2007, 05:19:10 PM by Dave Leip »

I think what he's trying to say is that it is unclear as to whether Baucus even consulted with Johnson or his family before launching this thing.  If not, that is pretty rude and presumptuous of him.  If so, it is very generous.

Well, if that is the case that is pretty presumptuous and unfounded. Why on Earth would anyone just assume that Baucus had done this without consulting Johnson first? That's a huge conclusion to jump to without knowing any of the facts.

Also, Chuck Schumer has stated already that the only Senator who has not committed to running for reelection is Tom Harkin, and he said this AFTER Johnson's hemorage happened. Therefore, its [ my conclusion ] that Johnson intends to run for reelection. Simple logic.........

Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 08:29:01 PM »

Well, if that is the case that is pretty presumptuous and unfounded. Why on Earth would anyone just assume that Baucus had done this without consulting Johnson first? That's a huge conclusion to jump to without knowing any of the facts.

Also, Chuck Schumer has stated already that the only Senator who has not committed to running for reelection is Tom Harkin, and he said this AFTER Johnson's hemorage happened. Therefore, its [ my conclusion ] that Johnson intends to run for reelection. Simple logic.........

After thinking on it some more, I get the feeling that Baucus did this more out of a request from Schumer than from Johnson.  I think Schumer is assuming Johnson still plans to run since we haven't heard anything diiferent from him or his family.  Schumer then probably asked a couple Western and Upper Midwest Senators if they'd be willing to do something like this.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 12:31:46 PM »

Uh, how is it presumptuous and unfounded? Did he say he consulted the family in the article? I love how I don't know any of the facts yet they didn't bother to state that Baucus asked in the article, right, Deano?

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies