Ralph Nader
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:55:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Ralph Nader
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ralph Nader  (Read 2245 times)
khirkhib

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 02, 2004, 12:51:22 PM »

I listened to Ralph Nader on the Ed Schultz show last night.  Ed asked Ralph how many state ballots he was actually on.  Ralph responded that he expected to be on 42 states in November because lots of states are fairly easy to get on and the deadlines aren't until August-September but that means that their are a lot of fires to put out.

Nader off the ballot in Arizona.
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0702nader-ON.html

Confusion in Oregon
http://www.mtv.com/chooseorlose/headlines/news.jhtml?id=1488815
http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/06/30/bush.nader/
http://www.kgw.com/sharedcontent/APStories/stories/D83IBJJG0.html

And he's flat off in Indiana
http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/newssentinel/news/local/9057672.htm

What do you think?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2004, 01:14:49 PM »

I have no idea
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2004, 01:26:13 PM »

Expect an organization to run an ad attacking the dems for that in AZ.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2004, 01:57:37 PM »

i think it is an f'ing outrage what the democrats pulled out in arizona.    and i cant believe the media hasnt called them out.

the democrats have bellyached for four freakin years about the supreme court deciding an election.  then they turn around and haul ralph nader to court to keep him off the ballot.

im sure those kind of actions will make nader supporters run to the polls in november to vote for john kerry.
stry_cat

Political Matrix
E: 6.25, S: -1.38

P P P
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2004, 02:03:56 PM »

i think it is an f'ing outrage what the democrats pulled out in arizona.    and i cant believe the media hasnt called them out.

I agree.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

See both parties are the same Sad

You must be logged in to read this quote.

No but hopefully they'll vote for Badnarik  Grin
cwelsch

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2004, 01:13:29 AM »

I give him around 15.  His campaign is seriously lagging, he's on maybe ten now, with two being challenged, I believe (AZ, IL).  He not only has to withstand the litigation and fury of the DNC, he has to withstand the ire of progressive Kerry-voting Democrats and the competition of the Greens and Cobb.  He had the resources and support before when he combined the left Democrats, the Greens and others into the foot soldiers and lawyers to get petitions and ballot access across the country.  He doesn't have that this year.  He's pissed off the activists and organizers who helped in 2000 because they don't want him to run - and those that did wanted him to run as a Green.

All in all, a poorly run campaign.  He might make the 19-24 bracket, maybe with a lot of luck up to 30, but ultimately he's going to get screwed.  I predict he'll drop out at some point, getting some kind of discussion or agreement with Kerry.  He might use Edwards' appointment as VP (if it happens) as an excuse to bail out of this mess he's built for himself.  If he takes it all the way to November I don't see him breaking past the 20s, assuming he gets that high.

Only Reform got him this far and they don't really have  the manpower, organization or resources to do a whole lot more than a dozen states.  They gave him eight state and a step up in a couple others, but other than that they're on their own.  I don't see it happening, sorry Nader.

Without the progressives, he's just a regulation-fetishist Tongue without a constituency.
cwelsch

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2004, 01:19:36 AM »

Hah, I didn't see that he was off AZ.  Loser.

Badnarik, despite what this centrist-biased article says, is on the ballot in Arizona.  He also has the support of L. Neil Smith - the Libertarian who with Vun Suprynomicz rebelled against Browne 2000 due to ethical and corruption charges (which were actually true, most likely) and because Browne said in 1996 he'd only run once.  So the Libertarians can very likely spoil AZ 2004.

Nader down to six states as of the second.  Great job there, Ralphie.  Maybe you can break into double digits by October.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2004, 05:41:01 AM »

the democrats have bellyached for four freakin years about the supreme court deciding an election.  then they turn around and haul ralph nader to court to keep him off the ballot.

im sure those kind of actions will make nader supporters run to the polls in november to vote for john kerry.

My god, enforcing the law, to prevent invalid Republican signatures from qualifying Nader. That's just.... just awful.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2004, 10:01:25 AM »

I took a guess and said 25-30
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2004, 10:17:07 AM »

My god, enforcing the law, to prevent invalid Republican signatures from qualifying Nader. That's just.... just awful.

Do I wish that the Democrats were unsuccessful in removing Nader? Yes.

Do I think that it's inconsistent to cry foul when one side uses the law in one election then use election laws advantageously the next? Yes.

Does it bother me? No. Every state has election laws and anyone active in politics knows that use of the rules is very much part of process. If an opponent errs on procedure it's fair game to win in the process and avoid the election. This is common in IL and many races are decided at filing rather than at the election.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2004, 10:21:04 AM »

7-12.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2004, 10:43:10 AM »

7-12 the 7 Reform Party Ballots + Texas, New Mexico, Nevada, Florida and a mystery state.
cwelsch

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2004, 08:50:43 PM »

7-12 the 7 Reform Party Ballots + Texas, New Mexico, Nevada, Florida and a mystery state.

He already missed Texas after the TX Greens refused to help him (this was pre-convention).
NYGOP
nygop
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2004, 09:58:00 PM »

19-24, just a guess though.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2004, 11:26:36 AM »

He already missed Texas after the TX Greens refused to help him (this was pre-convention).

No he made Texas as an Independent.
http://www.votenader.org/ballot_access/texas/
cwelsch

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2004, 03:52:35 PM »

Forgive me, I hadn't heard.  I just knew the Greens screwed him over and it was funny enough for me to remember. Tongue
khirkhib

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2004, 09:23:11 PM »

Remember Nader might not have a free ticket to the ballots that the Reform Party gave him.  Many states require that the candidate be chosen at a convention.  Nader was chosen as the reform party candidate on a conference call.  Come on how many people do you think were on that conference call.  Nader will drop out in Late August when he is having trouble getting on to the "easy" states to save whatever diginity he has left.

millwx

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2004, 10:58:47 AM »

I can't believe that anyone (other than Nader supporters, perhaps) are complaining about the Dems actions in AZ.  If the shoe were on the other foot, I would put money on it guaranteeing the the Reps would do the same thing.  And, frankly, they'd be right to do so.  The signatures were illegal.  Those with a vested interest (in this case the Dems) should challenge them and would be idiots to not do so.  I am all for third parties being on the ballot.  I have voted third party in two of the last three elections, and I most closely align myself with a third party (Libertarian).  But, uh, how about at least making a slight effort to follow election laws to get on the ballot?!?!?  Nader has no business being on the AZ ballot.  Honestly, at first, I thought the Dems were being underhanded as well... until I learned more about the case.  Some of these "illegal" signatures were so obviously and clearly a violation that it was an outright fraud by Nader and those who wanted him on the ballot.  The Dems would have been morons had they not challenged it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies