Judge removes Nader from the ballot in Arizona
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:36:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Judge removes Nader from the ballot in Arizona
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Judge removes Nader from the ballot in Arizona  (Read 2648 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 02, 2004, 01:11:16 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040702/ap_on_el_pr/nader_arizona_1

good. Let's hope this continues in other states. Keep him off the ballot by any means neccesary, that worthless little fascist.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2004, 01:33:45 PM »

I expect an organiztion runs ads against the democrats based on this.  The good is Nader is off the ballot.  The bad is you kept him off with a lawsuit.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2004, 01:36:32 PM »

He was violating Arizona election laws. Should we have just let him stay on?
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2004, 03:04:36 PM »

It's a sad day for the Democrats when they feel they can't win without bullying others away.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2004, 03:15:13 PM »

It's a sad day for the Democrats when they feel they can't win without bullying others away.

Its a sad day when Republicans break state laws to try & get a third partry on the ballot.

My whole feeling on the Nader issuue.  Do I want him on the ballots?  No.  Does he have a right to be on the ballots?  Yes, but if it is done LEGALLY
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2004, 10:04:22 PM »

Somehow, I can't see my fellow Democrats being this vocal about -- oh, hypothetically, Roy Moore trying to get on the ballot for the Constitution Party. I just can't see it.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2004, 10:13:30 PM »

Somehow, I can't see my fellow Democrats being this vocal about -- oh, hypothetically, Roy Moore trying to get on the ballot for the Constitution Party. I just can't see it.
if he did it legally.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2004, 12:48:33 AM »
« Edited: July 03, 2004, 12:50:41 AM by Better Red Than Dead »

see, my problems with Nader are many.

First of all like was stated here, he violated Arizona law in collecting many of the signatures, which is why they were thrown out.

But besides that, Nader knows he's helping Republicans, and he doesn't care. The Green candidate this year says he'll pursue a "safe state" strategy and will use his campaign as a second front against Bush. Nader on the other hand just wants as many votes as possible to fill his giant ego, and doesn't care about the results. He also doesn't care who helps him. There are many documented cases of his biggest donors and people helping on his campaign being Republicans. He has no problem siding with the right wing. He's not campaigning for the left, just himself. He's said he doesn't care about Bush being in office now, and would have no problems if he got in again.

And the thing that made me most mad about him was after he announced his campaign, he said Gore would've invaded Iraq as well. Gore was one of the invasions most vocal critics, even before it started. Yet he makes a baseless and silly claim. One fine example of a "useful idiot"
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2004, 09:52:03 AM »

Nader is power hungry. If he cared about his principles he would support the Democrats. On almost all issues, the Republicans are a 0, the Democrats are a 6, and the Greens are a 10. Instead of supporting the party who would put most of his iniatives on the table, he supports the one that is the exact oppiste of most of his principles. The guy just doesn't get it.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2004, 10:41:54 AM »

Legal or not, you Democrats have just made Nader angry at you.  Now there will be no dropping out as was first hinted at when he decided to run (that he might consider dropping out if it was going to be so close that he might cause the Dem to lose again).

You guys hate Nader so much for 2000 (even though in reality it was really Gore who beat Gore--not Nader).  Now he hates you guys as well.  Score 1 for the Democrats!
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2004, 02:19:02 AM »

Legal or not, you Democrats have just made Nader angry at you.  Now there will be no dropping out as was first hinted at when he decided to run (that he might consider dropping out if it was going to be so close that he might cause the Dem to lose again).

You guys hate Nader so much for 2000 (even though in reality it was really Gore who beat Gore--not Nader).  Now he hates you guys as well.  Score 1 for the Democrats!

Nader pourposefully concentrated on swing states to defeat Al Gore in 2000. We owe Nader nothing but hatred.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2004, 02:57:26 AM »

Excuse me, but Ralph Nader has a right to run a campaign, you know.  The world doesn't revelve around your single minded desire to beat George W. Bush.

This is the problem with Democrats, they have little in the way of ideas, just a lot of anger at Republicans because a Republican beat them up in grade school or some crap.  So they go out and find neutered candidates like Bill Clinton and Al Gore, who bent over backwards to give my side anything we wanted in terms of legislation.  Then you get mad that Nader hands us an election, never mind that the policies are little different.

You guys believe in nothing but winning elections.  The right lesson to learn from Nader 2000 is not, "Hey, lets disqualify him on a technicality!", but rather, "Hey, let's get some spine and some principles."  But no, even though Ralph told you that if you nominated Dean and not Kerry, he'd stay home.  But you had to send us the flippy floppy Jean Francois Kerry.  You never learn, do you?
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2004, 11:02:37 AM »

Excuse me, but Ralph Nader has a right to run a campaign, you know.  The world doesn't revelve around your single minded desire to beat George W. Bush.

This is the problem with Democrats, they have little in the way of ideas, just a lot of anger at Republicans because a Republican beat them up in grade school or some crap.  So they go out and find neutered candidates like Bill Clinton and Al Gore, who bent over backwards to give my side anything we wanted in terms of legislation.  Then you get mad that Nader hands us an election, never mind that the policies are little different.

You guys believe in nothing but winning elections.  The right lesson to learn from Nader 2000 is not, "Hey, lets disqualify him on a technicality!", but rather, "Hey, let's get some spine and some principles."  But no, even though Ralph told you that if you nominated Dean and not Kerry, he'd stay home.  But you had to send us the flippy floppy Jean Francois Kerry.  You never learn, do you?

Bill Clinton did not give you guys anything you wanted. Especially before 1994, when the Dems controlled Congress. We would do better with Kerry and Nader on every ballot than with Dean and no Nader on every ballot. He has the right to run a campaign yes, but LEGALLY. And he should shut up about the theory that he'll take more votes from Bush and Kerry. We all know that is BS.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2004, 01:09:28 PM »

He was violating Arizona election laws. Should we have just let him stay on?

Your terminology is a little over the top.

Nader didn't have enought valid signatures.

Typically candidates calculate that they should file at least 115% of the number of signatures required in order to have enough valid signatures to avoid a legal challenge.

Invalid signatures can run as high as fifty per cent.

Contrary to unfounded rumors, the nader operation in Arizona did not have Republican help, was incompetent, and failed to file a sufficent number of valid signatures.  Hence, when challenged, the naderites (the few of them that there are), lost.  If they had received Republican help they would have had sufficent valid signatures.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2004, 01:25:40 PM »

Akno,

Bill Clinton gave us NAFTA before we took congress, after having campaigned against it in 1992.  Then he caved on health care.  Yes, we got what we wanted.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2004, 02:27:24 PM »

Akno,

Bill Clinton gave us NAFTA before we took congress, after having campaigned against it in 1992.  Then he caved on health care.  Yes, we got what we wanted.

Did the Republicans want the gun-control laws passed?
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2004, 08:10:26 PM »

Akno,

Did the Republicans want the gun-control laws passed?

Actually, yes, to an extent.  It gave the Republicans ammo to use against Clinton on the national stage.

Legally the Dems were right to keep Nader off the abllot, but they may come to regret it witha good ad campaign.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2004, 10:16:46 PM »

You guys hate Nader so much for 2000 (even though in reality it was really Gore who beat Gore--not Nader).

Actually, some of us supported him, and aren't ashamed to admit it Smiley
Seawolf

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2004, 12:18:26 AM »

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040702/ap_on_el_pr/nader_arizona_1

good. Let's hope this continues in other states. Keep him off the ballot by any means neccesary, that worthless little fascist.
Haha God forbid someone try to run for President besides the anointed one, John F. Kerry.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2004, 02:01:01 AM »

He couldn't get the health care plan passed because lots of conservative Democrats in Congress opposed it. But you know how much Republicans whine about his first budget which passed without a single Republican vote. And of course, Republicans think he's the spawn of Satan the way they talk about him, just do a search for "Clinton" on Free Republic to see what they think. He had to do something to piss them off.

I don't see what CARLHAYDEN is trying to point out aside from the obvious, since Nader didn't have enough valid signatures, he does not have a right to be on the ballot. Not too difficult to understand. Yet for some reason the Republicans are defending him. I'm sure they wouldn't argue some looney LaRouche type kook should be on the ballot if he didn't have enough valid signatures.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2004, 11:23:48 AM »
« Edited: July 06, 2004, 11:28:08 AM by CARLHAYDEN »

Apparently you are unfamiliar with the meaning of the term you used, "violating" with respect to Arizona elections laws.

If the Nader people had submitted forged signatures, that would be a "violation," while merely submitting an insufficent number of valid signatures does NOT constitute a "violation," but merely results in not being listed on the ballot.

"Violating" Arizona election laws is a criminal offense.  Failing to submit enought valid signatures is NOT a criminal offense.

BTW, most initiative proposals where generated by the public fail to gather enought valid signatures to make the ballot.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2004, 11:35:45 AM »
« Edited: July 06, 2004, 11:36:31 AM by Gov. NickG »

Yeah, I don't see how Nader violated the law.  But he didn't fail to make the ballot because of a "technicality" either (as John Ford claimed).

In order to get on the ballot, you need a certain number of valid signatures.   This is the fundamental standard for ballot access, not an incidental technicality.  

The number of valid signitures is the only method by which independent candidates get on the ballot, and Nader didn't have enough.  How else should this situation be evaluated?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies