How old for House?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:51:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  How old for House?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: How old for House?  (Read 2929 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2007, 01:53:22 PM »

There's no such thing as being a "citizen of a state".
Of course there is.

I assume the terms "citizen" and "resident" are being used interchangably. While that may not be technically correct is there a legal basis for a difference? Just curious.

Constitutionally, there is a very specific difference between the rights of a citizen and the rights of others (people, accused (see 6th amendment).

To put it bluntly, a "citizen of the United States" has different rights than a "citizen of a state" or a simple "person".

My question was only to clarify the use of the terms "citizen" and "resident". Let me give an example... me. I am a citizen of the United States and a resident of Pennsylvania. I have a US passport and was born in the US. That establishes my citizenship. I live in PA and hold a PA driver's license, voters registration, pay state and local income taxes in PA and so forth. That establishes my residency. My question has only to do with are we confusing the terms and/or are they, in fact, different. I have never heard of anyone being called a "citizen" of a state. I always believed that citizenship was national and residency was state/local. I am just asking for clarification.

Ok, let's clarify.  When you speak of being a "resident" of Pennsylvania, constitutionally you are speaking of the factors ("residence") that establishes you as a "citizen" of that state in terms of the Constitution.

The parts within the Constitution where this distinction becomes apparent are Article III, Section 2, Article IV, Section 2 ("the privileges and immunities" clause), the 11th amendment and the 14th amendment (most importantly of all), whose first lines..

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside"

which essentially overturned Dred Scott's holding that black persons could never be citizens of the United States, although they could be citizens of the state where they reside.

I'm not going to really go into the legal aspects state citizenship provides, since there it is usually easier to understand by the term "resident".
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2007, 05:00:18 PM »

I didn't have to apply for citizenship when I moved to Arizona and Texas.

You mean you're there illegally?

I'm not Mexican. Tongue

And I didn't move to AZ or TX by choice.

Damn Canadian sneaking into AZ and TX then?  Pfft.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2007, 05:38:30 PM »

Article I, Section 2

No Person shall be a Representative who shall not have attained to the Age of twenty five Years, and been seven Years a Citizen of the United States, and who shall not, when elected, be an Inhabitant of that State in which he shall be chosen.

wait I'd or anyone would have to run in another state than their native one?  i don't understand that.

No you are reading it wrong.  To paraphrase: No person may be a Representative if they haven't turned 25, and haven't been a citizen for 7 years, and isn't (when elected) an inhabitant of the state in which he or she was elected.

wait i am confused again.  u have to be a citizen of that State for at least the past 7 years right?  and 25?

No, you have to be a citizen of the United States for 7 years and you have to be from that state.  To my knowledge, there is no official sort of state citizenship.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2007, 05:44:56 PM »

You mean you're there illegally?

I'm not Mexican. Tongue

And I didn't move to AZ or TX by choice.

Damn Canadian sneaking into AZ and TX then?  Pfft.

I was born and raised in California. My dad's job moved us to AZ and TX.

That's exactly what an illegal Canadian immigrant would say.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2007, 03:48:46 AM »

Article I, Section 2

No Person shall be a Representative who shall not have attained to the Age of twenty five Years, and been seven Years a Citizen of the United States, and who shall not, when elected, be an Inhabitant of that State in which he shall be chosen.

wait I'd or anyone would have to run in another state than their native one?  i don't understand that.

No you are reading it wrong.  To paraphrase: No person may be a Representative if they haven't turned 25, and haven't been a citizen for 7 years, and isn't (when elected) an inhabitant of the state in which he or she was elected.

wait i am confused again.  u have to be a citizen of that State for at least the past 7 years right?  and 25?

No, you have to be a citizen of the United States for 7 years and you have to be from that state.  To my knowledge, there is no official sort of state citizenship.
There is, as Jim has pointed out. If you're a citizen of the US and residing in one of its states, then you're also a citizen of that state, without any bureaucratic process being needed.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2007, 04:34:21 AM »

You became a Texas citizen by virtue of the 14th amendment.

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States, and the state wherein they reside."
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2007, 04:52:25 AM »

You became a Texas citizen by virtue of the 14th amendment.

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States, and the state wherein they reside."

Texas. It's like a whole other country...
GOVERNMENT CODE

§ 3101.005. STATE SONG.  The state song, "Texas, Our
Texas" by William J. Marsh and Gladys Yoakum Wright, is as follows:

Texas, our Texas!  All hail the mighty State!
Texas, our Texas!  So wonderful so great!
Boldest and grandest, Withstanding ev'ry test;
O Empire wide and glorious, You stand supremely blest.

Refrain:

God bless you Texas!  And keep you brave and strong,
That you may grow in power and worth,
Thro'out the ages long.

Texas, O Texas!  Your freeborn single star,
Sends out its radiance to nations near and far.
Emblem of freedom!  It sets our hearts aglow,
With thoughts of San Jacinto and glorious Alamo.

Refrain

Texas, dear Texas!  From tyrant grip now free,
Shines forth in splendor your star of destiny!
Mother of heroes!  We come your children true,
Proclaiming our allegiance, our faith, our love for you.

Refrain
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2007, 05:03:57 AM »

Texas, Our Texas

Texas, Our Texas - vocal at about 7:26:00
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length