In Massachusetts, GOP Sees Vulernable Kerry
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:01:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  In Massachusetts, GOP Sees Vulernable Kerry
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: In Massachusetts, GOP Sees Vulernable Kerry  (Read 5153 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 25, 2007, 06:43:47 PM »

Massachusetts Republicans "are circling like vultures around a politically weakened John Kerry, vowing to field a strong challenger that may be able to capitalize on his fractured image and snatch his coveted" Senate seat, reports the Boston Herald.

The pool of possible Republican challengers could include Harvard Pilgrim CEO Charles Baker, real estate mogul and powerful GOP fund-raiser Chris Egan, and President Bush’s former chief of staff, Andy Card, among others.

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2007/01/25/in_massachusetts_gop_sees_vulnerable_kerry.html

I don't really take this seriously?  I think Kerry is more at risk from a challenge in the Democratic Primary.  Massachusetts will not elect a Republican to the Senate, certainly not in a Presidential year. 
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 06:44:50 PM »

It's certainly possible, but it would require low voter turnout, I see it as possible if a conservative Dem is nominated
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 06:48:59 PM »

In Massachusetts, GOP is a joke.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 06:49:21 PM »

lol

I can't think of much more to add than that.
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 06:49:39 PM »

It's certainly possible, but it would require low voter turnout, I see it as possible if a conservative Dem is nominated

We're talking about Massachusetts, not the South.  There are no conservative Democrats up there.

John Kerry will likely be challenged by a restless congressman.  Polls will show him losing early on, but after dumping lots of money into the race Kerry will win the primary in a landslide and cruise to the general.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 06:51:38 PM »

We're talking about Massachusetts, not the South.  There are no conservative Democrats up there.

John Kerry will likely be challenged by a restless congressman.  Polls will show him losing early on, but after dumping lots of money into the race Kerry will win the primary in a landslide and cruise to the general.

I was referring to a conservative Dem in the presidential race, making MA less likely to vote b/c they are unexcited by the presidential candidate who they take for granted will win and don't like Kerry

I do not find it hard to believe people could split there vote with Richardson or Edwards and Card
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 06:56:50 PM »

Bring it on.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 07:03:08 PM »

Maybe Kerry is vulnerable but if/when he gets out of the primaries he'll be fine.
Seriously, this is like saying the Democrats had a chance in Utah last year.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 07:05:46 PM »

Sure it's possible, but only if Joel Mahoney is the GOP candidate.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 07:06:48 PM »

Sure it's possible, but only if Joel Mahoney is the GOP candidate.

Everyone knows that fictitious Tancredo supporters are the ideal GOP candidate for Massachusetts... Tongue
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 07:12:31 PM »

Kerry is certainly vulnerable, but not from Republicans.
Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 08:27:04 PM »

Massachusetts Republicans "are circling like vultures around a politically weakened John Kerry, vowing to field a strong challenger that may be able to capitalize on his fractured image and snatch his coveted" Senate seat, reports the Boston Herald.

The pool of possible Republican challengers could include Harvard Pilgrim CEO Charles Baker, real estate mogul and powerful GOP fund-raiser Chris Egan, and President Bush’s former chief of staff, Andy Card, among others.

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2007/01/25/in_massachusetts_gop_sees_vulnerable_kerry.html

I don't really take this seriously?  I think Kerry is more at risk from a challenge in the Democratic Primary.  Massachusetts will not elect a Republican to the Senate, certainly not in a Presidential year. 

Out of those, it seems that Baker would have the best (and I use that term for lack of a better word) chance of winning.  I have not heard of the person Joe Republic mentioned, but it does not seem that either a major Republican fundraiser or someone so close to the Bush Administration would be able to win in Massachusetts.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 08:31:28 PM »

Please don't make me laugh.  The chances of a Republican winning a Senate race in Massachusetts is probably even lower then the chances of a Democrat winning a Senate race in Utah.  Give me a break.
Deano963

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 09:12:22 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2007, 09:16:39 PM by Deano963 »

The very idea that some Republicans think they have a chance of beating John Kerry in Massachusetts in a presidential election year amuses me.

Kerry has $13 million, an unparalleled e-mail list from '04, and he's the incumbent Democrat in the most liberal state in the country. Nuff said.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007, 09:34:13 PM »

If the GOP narrowly loses Virginia and barely holds on to Tennessee, how in God's name do they get the idea that they could actually make it competitive in Massachusetts of all places?! 
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2007, 10:21:36 PM »

THis is about as likely as a Democrat winning in Texas or Alabama.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2007, 10:30:33 PM »

there are plenty of conservative democrats in massachusetts.  there are right many in the state legislature, some in powerful positions.

granted a conservative democrat probably couldnt win  a statewide primary versus a liberal.  but they are still strong in places like south boston, chelsea, leominister
Conan
conan

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2007, 10:35:55 PM »

This is a joke. Kerry will run and win. Primary challenge or not. Credible republican or not. John Kerry is a hero.
Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2007, 10:41:36 PM »

I agree with all that Conan said, potentially excluding the last sentence.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2007, 11:21:39 PM »

Well if the GOP wants to waste there money here, more power to them
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2007, 12:20:31 AM »

This is a complete joke and get ready to watch Kerry's approval bounce back now that he made the right decision not to run for President.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2007, 01:04:03 AM »

good luck with that

Although Kerry really should step aside for Ben Affleck.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2007, 02:35:45 AM »

good luck with that

Although Kerry really should step aside for Ben Affleck.

Ben Affleck?  I'd rather see Ted Kennedy's clone win.

All that aside, this race will be decided in the Democratic primary which, despite his unpopularity, Kerry will most likely win.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2007, 05:29:18 AM »

The Massachusetts GOP can wishfully think all they like because the Bay State will not, no way, no how, be electing a Republican senator in 2008

Dave

DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2007, 07:20:11 AM »

This is a joke. Kerry will run and win. Primary challenge or not. Credible republican or not. John Kerry is a hero.

Usually if someone loses you a winnable election you don't make them your hero (although I am one to speak)
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies