Pennsylvania 2008
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:36:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Pennsylvania 2008
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Which of these seats will switch either way.
Chris Carney (D, PA 10)

Patrick Murphy (D, PA Cool

Joe Sestak (D, PA 7)

Jim Gerlach (R, PA 6)

Jason Altmire (D, PA 4)

Charlie Dent (R, PA 15)

PA 11- (D, Potential open)

Allyson Schwartz (D, PA 13)

Jack Murtha (D, PA 12)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Pennsylvania 2008  (Read 4787 times)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 28, 2007, 06:26:28 PM »

Yeah, this is an earful, but if McCain runs, a lot of seats could potentially switch back.  Iraq doesn't go well and the GOP nominates a Brownback or Tancredo, there could be even more Dem gains.

My picks: 

D -> R: Chris Carney (D, PA 10) District is too conservative and he got in on a scandal

McCain leads ticket look for PA 8 to be competitive.

R -> D: Jim Gerlach (R, PA 6)  District is moving leftward in a painfully slow manner, but it will get there.

Iraq doesn't go well and the GOP nominates loon, Charlie Dent (R, PA 15) could be vulnerable.  Dems will challenge this seat from what I'm hearing.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 06:29:33 PM »

Gerlach could fall, though considering it didnt happen in 06, its hard to see it happening.

Dents district looks safe for now (probably a couple more years before the exurban conservativism starts to morph into suburban liberalism)

Pat Murphy could fall, given a good Republican at the top of the GOP ticket and a good competitor (Outside of Tomlinson, Fitzpatrick or Greenwood doing something shocking) a good competitor isnt to be found right now. Plus Murphy seems to be intent at doing what he needs to do to get re-elected. Its hard to unseat an incumbent in PA-08, it would take a 2006 type of election to do it.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 06:32:01 PM »

Gerlach could fall, though considering it didnt happen in 06, its hard to see it happening.

Dents district looks safe for now (probably a couple more years before the exurban conservativism starts to morph into suburban liberalism)

Pat Murphy could fall, given a good Republican at the top of the GOP ticket and a good competitor (Outside of Tomlinson, Fitzpatrick or Greenwood doing something shocking) a good competitor isnt to be found right now. Plus Murphy seems to be intent at doing what he needs to do to get re-elected. Its hard to unseat an incumbent in PA-08, it would take a 2006 type of election to do it.

If things don't go better in Iraq by 2008, look for Gerlach to fall.

Also, Dent got nipped a little bit last election against someone not well known or well-funded.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 06:37:27 PM »

If things don't go better in Iraq by 2008, look for Gerlach to fall.

Also, Dent got nipped a little bit last election against someone not well known or well-funded.

Dents smaller majority might be due to a generic antiRepublican 2006 effect...who knows what would happen in 08
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 07:38:17 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2007, 09:48:08 PM by Senator BRTD »

Dent was a big missed opportunity. We blew it not going after him. We should this time.

Has Gerlach jumped on the anti-Iraq bandwagon? He better.

(spam trap test: austinmoweryrtle@gmail.com )
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 08:29:32 PM »

I think Sestak, Murphy, and Altmire are probably in good shape.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 09:20:17 PM »

Seems like someone voted one of each.  Was it DWTL?
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 09:22:01 PM »

Dent was a big missed opportunity. We blew it not going after him. We should this time.

Has Gerlach jumped on the anti-Iraq bandwagon? He better.

I agree.  Rendell and Casey did very well in the district and Dent is VERY far right on economic issues.  A Dem could have exposed him there.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 09:33:07 PM »

What idiot voted for Murtha?
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 10:05:22 PM »

BRTD, I put him on the poll for a reason.  IF the GOP has a good year, he could theoretically be vulnerable.  Same with PA 11 and 13.  The only rock solid Dem districts are PA 1, 2, and 14.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 11:57:37 AM »

Let me address the Dent points first. The reason why he did poorly was because of the year. Originally, the Dems weren't going to run anyone. They then decided to have a write in campaign on primary day and got their guy on the ballot. The guy is a no name and was obviously not funded. If there was a more credible challenger, Dent's margin would have been smaller but he still would have held on. The man is personally very popular up there.

For 2008, the word is that the Dems are going after popular State Senator Lisa Boscolla to challenge Dent. I thought Dent would have a fairly easy time but I have been assured by someone that it would be close. If Boscolla doesn't run, Dent is fine.

As for the other seats, I see the 4th, 8th and 10th (almost definite according to everyone especially since it is a Presidential election year but I still worry that Carney could be a Holden) switching.

If Kanjorski retires, the 11th could flip but the Dems will benefit from the Presidential election turnout. If Murtha was to retire for whatever reason, look for the 12th to go. I'm holding off on saying that these two will switch hands at this point since both are likely to stay.

Sestak is staying as long as he wants. Sorry guys, Gerlach wins again.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 12:20:09 PM »

Murtha actually underperformed in 2006; well in the bits of the district that he'd only represented since 2002 anyway. A generic Democrat would probably have taken a higher % across the district than he did.

Not that there's any real danger of him losing.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 12:24:28 PM »

6, 10 and 15 (even 17) are certainly possible, but none is over 50% likely, so I'm not voting for either.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2007, 01:05:16 PM »

I bet if you lived here you would've said the same thing about former State Rep. Ray Cox.

2002:
Republican    RAY COX    8865   50.06   
Democratic-Farmer-Labor    DAVID BLY    8819   49.81   
Write-In    WRITE-IN (TOTAL)    23   0.13   

2004:
Republican    RAY COX    11433   51.24   
Democratic-Farmer-Labor    DAVID BLY    10847   48.62   
Write-In    WRITE-IN**    32   0.14

2006:
Republican    RAY COX    9233   49.80
Democratic-Farmer-Labor    DAVID BLY    9293   50.12
Write-In    WRITE-IN**    14   0.08

Murtha actually underperformed in 2006; well in the bits of the district that he'd only represented since 2002 anyway. A generic Democrat would probably have taken a higher % across the district than he did.

Not that there's any real danger of him losing.

Right. Has anyone actually looked at that district? It's a gerrymandered monstrosity designed to pick up all the Democratic areas in the region to make the rest of the districts more Republican. It's not flipping, with or without Murtha.

Murtha didn't even underperform that much anyway. He still did significantly better than Kerry. And his comments on the war aren't going to hurt him when the nation overwhelmingly agrees with him.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2007, 01:13:00 PM »

Let me address the Dent points first. The reason why he did poorly was because of the year. Originally, the Dems weren't going to run anyone. They then decided to have a write in campaign on primary day and got their guy on the ballot. The guy is a no name and was obviously not funded. If there was a more credible challenger, Dent's margin would have been smaller but he still would have held on. The man is personally very popular up there.

For 2008, the word is that the Dems are going after popular State Senator Lisa Boscolla to challenge Dent. I thought Dent would have a fairly easy time but I have been assured by someone that it would be close. If Boscolla doesn't run, Dent is fine.

As for the other seats, I see the 4th, 8th and 10th (almost definite according to everyone especially since it is a Presidential election year but I still worry that Carney could be a Holden) switching.

If Kanjorski retires, the 11th could flip but the Dems will benefit from the Presidential election turnout. If Murtha was to retire for whatever reason, look for the 12th to go. I'm holding off on saying that these two will switch hands at this point since both are likely to stay.

You see the 8th switching?  You do realize that even John Kerry won this district, right?  Murphy will have little trouble here.  The 4th is also a traditionally Democratic district, Hart was the only Republican ever to represent the district.
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2007, 03:08:40 PM »

What about the 18th?  The other Murphy.  He got a free ride in '06 and I suspect Dems will have a real opponent next time.  If Melissa Hart can be knocked off, there is no reason for Murphy, a weaker incumbent in a similar district, to still be around.

I'm also somewhat worried about Chris Carney in PA-10.  I expect Gerlach may face another close race. 
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2007, 09:17:19 PM »

That actually sounds about right.
Galactic Overlord

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2007, 10:21:27 PM »

Sestak is staying as long as he wants.

The old Delaware Party GOP machine is kaput, huh? That district used to be heavily Republican.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2007, 10:48:16 PM »

Sestak is staying as long as he wants.

The old Delaware Party GOP machine is kaput, huh? That district used to be heavily Republican.

Used to. That machine, and some of the township GOPs (Springfield)...made plenty of enemies.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2007, 11:00:52 PM »

It's not flipping, with or without Murtha.

Thanks, hack.

You see the 8th switching?  You do realize that even John Kerry won this district, right?  Murphy will have little trouble here.  The 4th is also a traditionally Democratic district, Hart was the only Republican ever to represent the district.

So because Kerry won the swing district, it is staying Dem? No. It switched this past year because of a bad year for the GOP. Fitz was very well liked but he got swept up in the tide. He's coming back and he'll win. To say that Murphy has little trouble in the 8th is a sign of someone who doesn't know much about the district.

Hart was the only Republican to represent the 4th and they liked her. She'll know to campaign her ass off in 2008 after this upset.

What about the 18th?  The other Murphy.  He got a free ride in '06 and I suspect Dems will have a real opponent next time.  If Melissa Hart can be knocked off, there is no reason for Murphy, a weaker incumbent in a similar district, to still be around.

I'm also somewhat worried about Chris Carney in PA-10.  I expect Gerlach may face another close race. 

Murphy has a lot of problems and it could quite possibly be taken out in a primary. The FBI was actually investigating him for a bit.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2007, 11:09:26 PM »

OK, so I'm a hack for thinking for thinking a 30+ year incumbent is safe, and that a district gerrymandered to take in all the Democratic parts of a region is likely to stay Democratic?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2007, 11:10:41 PM »

OK, so I'm a hack for thinking for thinking a 30+ year incumbent is safe, and that a district gerrymandered to take in all the Democratic parts of a region is likely to stay Democratic?

You're a hack for the guarentee that it will stay Dem without Murtha.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2007, 11:13:50 PM »

It's drawn to be a Democratic district. This is not the old PA-12.

Hell, look at this way, the GOP currently holds a whopping 7 seats won by Kerry, and these are all traditionally Republican districts that just recently swung to the Democrats. Murtha's district is not like that at all.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2007, 11:15:44 PM »

I know which PA 12 it is. It is the same PA 12 that analysts across PA say could switch when Murtha leaves with a good GOP candidate (Irey).

You choose to be a hack in regards to everything so I'm not going to waste my time explaining why a Kerry win in a district doesn't mean an automatic Dem win.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2007, 11:18:10 PM »

Is Al a hack then?

You choose to be a hack in regards to everything so I'm not going to waste my time explaining why a Kerry win in a district doesn't mean an automatic Dem win.

Perhaps you should reread my post:

Hell, look at this way, the GOP currently holds a whopping 7 seats won by Kerry, and these are all traditionally Republican districts that just recently swung to the Democrats. Murtha's district is not like that at all.

This district is nothing like NY-25 or WA-08.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies