Lord Levy arrested
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:58:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Lord Levy arrested
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Lord Levy arrested  (Read 847 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 30, 2007, 01:44:43 PM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6314881.stm

Labour's chief fundraiser Lord Levy has been re-arrested by police looking into cash-for-honours allegations. He was held on suspicion of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice and was later bailed.

Lord Levy, a close ally of Tony Blair, was previously arrested in connection with claims honours had been sold in exchange for party donations.

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 01:49:31 PM »

.... ok never mind.  I thought for a moment that this was Lord Lucan.  Now that would have been interesting.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 04:28:26 PM »

Again? Ah, but for something different.

Now here's one I made earlier...

Btw, I'm thinking of writing a letter to a member of the N.E.C calling for a certain Lord and Tennis Partner (originally from Hackney, now residing in Barnet. Mill Hill I think. Mentioning no names o/c) to be expelled (or suspended or whatever) from the Party. Won't serve no purpose except for a second of self-important/vindictive self-gratification, but hey... bastard got us in ghastly debt (and nearly bankrupted us) for f***ing billboards...

O/c there's an element to the whole mess that I've been just a little worried/suspicious about since it all started, but I won't comment on that till it's over (apparently it will all end last September. Er...).
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 05:04:00 PM »

I don't see it having much effect outwith political circles unless it snares cabinet ministers. The Labour Party's proximity to bankruptcy (without going cap in hand to the unions) is more likely to have an effect this year- I can't see them being able to focus on what is effectively a nationwide campaign in May as sharply as they have done in the past. They certainly seem to have cut down on preliminary canvassing up my way.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 09:02:52 PM »

Political parties shouldn't even need to borrow money. Competitive elections, which require a vibrant political party-system, are an integral part of a healthy democracy. There should be state funding to some degree

I seem to recall an idea, if not a proposal, that when a voter registers to vote, they tick a box indicating which, if any, political party is to receive their share of state funding, be it say a modest sum of £2 or £3. Of course, individuals and organisations should still be able to contribute towards funding parties but not to the point where they can, technically, hold a party to ransom. This would mean, in effect, a cap on donations

I quite like that idea. Of course, individuals, who opt to contribute their share of statefunding, can then be, in effect, party members. Then the UK could have primaries for selecting general election candidates and caucuses for selecting local election candidates. British politics would be a lot less humdrum Smiley

Dave
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 09:12:38 PM »

Would this be news in the US? Jack Ambramoff has totally got this guy beaten.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 09:27:44 PM »

It's yet to be established whether Lord Levy actually committed any offense. So, it's pretty unfair to be comparing Levy with Jack Abramoff

Dave
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 09:41:27 PM »

Looks like Gordon Brown will have a lot of work to do once he takes office....I know nothing about UK politics, but based upon Blair's current popularity and various incidents such as this, Labor looks to be in trouble.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 03:19:14 AM »

Should it spread any further, and any closer to the PM we are probably closer to Nixon territory...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 08:44:44 AM »

No; the sort of methods used by Levy (and similer figures in other parties going back years) to raise money are actually pretty clean by US standards. There are several ways of looking at that fact...

I'm more worried about this sort of thing actually (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6315469.stm). But the media aren't. Sign of a healthy democracy my...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies