Anyone else bother to tally the results for thier county commissioner district?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:55:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Anyone else bother to tally the results for thier county commissioner district?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anyone else bother to tally the results for thier county commissioner district?  (Read 1566 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 30, 2007, 11:27:27 PM »

Because I just did. Yep.

Kerry 58.35%
Bush 39.93%
Other 1.72%

Klobuchar 63.93%
Kennedy 31.23%
Fitzgerald 3.49%
Other 1.36%

Hatch 54.71%
Pawlenty 35.34%
Hutchinson 7.38%
Other 2.58%

Walz 69.18%
Gutknecht 30.55%

Please tell me I'm not the only one.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 11:35:46 PM »

Have no idea what mine is
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 11:48:26 PM »

Doesn't Long Island have a complete different system, where counties are ran more like states are?

BTW, my county commission, Colleen Landkamer, is President of the National Association of Counties (whatever they do)
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 11:52:01 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2007, 11:57:10 PM by KEmperor »

Doesn't Long Island have a complete different system, where counties are ran more like states are?

Pretty much.  We have a county executive and a county legislature.  Each legislator is elected from his own district(I'm in the 6th district, my guy happens to be the minority leader for the Republicans).  Each district has about 50,000 registered voters.  It's run basically the same as the state and federal governments, just on a smaller scale.  And as far as I know, its basically the same in both counties.

http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/legis/

And no, I've never bothered to do anything like what you have suggested.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 12:04:27 AM »

Pretty much.  We have a county executive and a county legislature.  Each legislator is elected from his own district(I'm in the 6th district, my guy happens to be the minority leader for the Republicans).  Each district has about 50,000 registered voters.  It's run basically the same as the state and federal governments, just on a smaller scale.  And as far as I know, its basically the same in both counties.

http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/legis/

And no, I've never bothered to do anything like what you have suggested.

that would be why i really had no clue what he was talking about when he said county Commissioner.  Nassau and Suffolk have the same system.  Suffolk has 18 Legislatures, Nassau has 19.  I am in the 14th LD, which is represented by Dave Mejias, who just took on Peter King for Congress.  I never went through to see who won the LD, would only be able to tell for President as the Senate & Congressional results aren't as easy to find by Precinct.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 12:12:22 AM »

County Commission system is much simpler, each county is split into 5 districts, each one elects one commissioner non-partisanly (in Minnesota at least), there's no executive or even official head of the commission.

Even though elected non-partisanly Landkamer is definitely a Democrat though (if you couldn't guess by the results), she's appeared at some DFL rallies.

I just did my City Council Ward now. It's much more Republican, Hatch only won by 2 points and Kloubchar underperformed her statewide showing. Interestingly enough my precinct is the only one from my county commission district in the ward, but that explains the disprepency.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 12:16:29 AM »

County Commission system is much simpler, each county is split into 5 districts, each one elects one commissioner non-partisanly (in Minnesota at least), there's no executive or even official head of the commission.

Well yeah, it's simpler because it can be.  When you have a county approaching 1.5 million people like Nassau and Suffolk are, you need a more complex governance system.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 12:20:17 AM »

Hennepin is ran the exact same way, except they have 7 seats instead of 5. Of course local government in Minnesota is quite weak. Cities and counties can't even pass sales taxes unless the legislature also approves them.

Side note: Hennepin just elected a Republican County Sheriff Sad
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 01:00:07 AM »

Well yeah, it's simpler because it can be.  When you have a county approaching 1.5 million people like Nassau and Suffolk are, you need a more complex governance system.

I was thinking about going through it to figure it out, but it seems a bit too time consuming.  As you can see in some cases its not exactly that easy to tell the exact street boundries of the district lines.

http://www.nassaucountyny.gov/agencies/Legis/LD/14/map.html

On top of that you would then have to flip through the census data map pages on voting districts to find all the precincts in the Legislative district, which is very time consuing because we are talking about many precincts, and then add everything together.  I would do the math if I was able to find out what all the precincts in my legislative district easier, but it seems like a very cumbersome process in order to do it, unless there is an easier way to find what all the precincts ae that I'm not aware of.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 01:03:01 AM »

I was thinking about going through it to figure it out, but it seems a bit too time consuming.  As you can see in some cases its not exactly that easy to tell the exact street boundries of the district lines.

On top of that you would then have to flip through the census data map pages on voting districts to find all the precincts in the Legislative district, which is very time consuing because we are talking about many precincts, and then add everything together.  I would do the math if I was able to find out what all the precincts in my legislative district easier, but it seems like a very cumbersome process in order to do it, unless there is an easier way to find what all the precincts ae that I'm not aware of.

You should check to see if you can find an official map of all the Nassau districts, that has the precincts overlayed.  The Suffolk County one has such a map on it's site, the Nassau one might too.(Apparently I'm in the 199th ED)  I'm not going to bother doing all that pointless adding though.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 01:10:29 AM »

You should check to see if you can find an official map of all the Nassau districts, that has the precincts overlayed.  The Suffolk County one has such a map on it's site, the Nassau one might too.(Apparently I'm in the 199th ED)  I'm not going to bother doing all that pointless adding though.

They do have a bigger map, and you can check the boundries through some  of the other district maps as well.  Seems a bit easier to find it out, however  though I know which district I am in A.D 12-68, trying to go through and figure out all the other precincts seems like a bit of a time consuming task.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 01:16:25 AM »

They do have a bigger map, and you can check the boundries through some  of the other district maps as well.  Seems a bit easier to find it out, however  though I know which district I am in A.D 12-68, trying to go through and figure out all the other precincts seems like a bit of a time consuming task.

Exactly, which is why I would never bother.  I'm never THAT bored.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 01:41:08 AM »

It's a good thing the Minnesota Secretary of State site is so well designed.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 02:23:54 AM »

Exactly, which is why I would never bother.  I'm never THAT bored.

well I would like to gibe a big f you to BRTD.  He peaked my interest in this and I wound up doing the work to figure out thew precincts in the legis distirict.  Why i did it, I don't know, but once I started I figured I would finish it.  Not going to add them tonight, because I want to get to bed soon, but I'm pretty sure I have all the precincts in my L.D.  When I do figure it out it will be off the 2000 numbers not the 04 ones.  nassau County has precincts sorted by Assembly district, and while most stayed the same their were a few changes after redistricting.  The census has the 2000 Aseembly and voting districts and I'm not bored enough to go figure out all the changes so will post the 2000 data.  For example my Assembly district A.D 12 had 91 E.D's in 2000 in 04 it had 81. 
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2007, 09:39:20 AM »

In my county the districts each have 3 members and serve over 150,000 people each. It's interesting to note that my county district is more populous than my state representative district, which has about 110,000 residents.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2007, 01:22:10 PM »

well I would like to gibe a big f you to BRTD.  He peaked my interest in this and I wound up doing the work to figure out thew precincts in the legis distirict.  Why i did it, I don't know, but once I started I figured I would finish it.  Not going to add them tonight, because I want to get to bed soon, but I'm pretty sure I have all the precincts in my L.D.  When I do figure it out it will be off the 2000 numbers not the 04 ones.  nassau County has precincts sorted by Assembly district, and while most stayed the same their were a few changes after redistricting.  The census has the 2000 Aseembly and voting districts and I'm not bored enough to go figure out all the changes so will post the 2000 data.  For example my Assembly district A.D 12 had 91 E.D's in 2000 in 04 it had 81. 

Haha, sorry. Though I am interested in seeing the results considering how diverse Nassau is. What town do you live in?

Mine was much easier since there's only 6 precincts and they're all listed on the county website.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2007, 10:02:56 PM »

Haha, sorry. Though I am interested in seeing the results considering how diverse Nassau is. What town do you live in?

Mine was much easier since there's only 6 precincts and they're all listed on the county website.

I'm in the Town of Oyster Bay, East Massapequa,  though most people think my area is Massapequa Park.

Anyway for my Legislative District Gore won 54.83- 41.62.  My assembly district is quite republican Bush won that 48.56 to 47.63 over Gore.  My CDP (East Massapequa) went to Gore 53.12-42.98.  My Precinct Gore won 51.75%-43.07.  Nassau County went for Gore 57.93- 38.49

As far as the 04 numbers all I know is my precinct.  Changes in Assembly and Election districts made it hard to tell what some of the precincts were.  Earlier I stated their were 81 ed's in my Assembly district as opposed to 91 in 00.  Its actually 117, 26 of those in the Town of Hempstead, prior to re-districting my Assembly district was only in the Town of Oyster Bay.  Their are a few precincts whose  information is not listed on the results page so I can't tell what my Assembly district or my CDP went in 04.  I believe Bush won by a fairly solid magin in my Assembly district (10 points or so) and Kerry narrowly carried the CDP, but without all the precincts not real sure.  My Precinct went to Bush 52.23- 46.07
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2007, 10:32:40 PM »

Ouch, only town in Nassau that voted for Bush...
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2007, 10:39:52 PM »

Ouch, only town in Nassau that voted for Bush...

Bush's 9/11 bump had a lot to do with it, it went to Gore by 10
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies