Canada under a US style presidential system (1867-present)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:12:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Alternative Elections (Moderator: Dereich)
  Canada under a US style presidential system (1867-present)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Author Topic: Canada under a US style presidential system (1867-present)  (Read 57132 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 31, 2007, 08:06:23 PM »

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you my first ever timeline.  I will begin with an introduction.

In 1867, the provinces of Canada, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick get together and agree on the articles of the British North America Act making the new nation of "Canada" a Dominion of the British Emprie. However, to appease the pro-American crowd in the Atlantic provinces, they adopt a system very similar to that of the United States. Canada will remain a dominion of the British Empire, but will elect a President to serve as the representative of Queen Victoria and as head of the Executive powers of the Dominion. The President will act as the head of state and will have much the same powers as the Prime Minister would in the real life scenario, plus the powers of the Governor General in the real life scenario (keeping in mind will have complete legitimacy to use his veto). For elections, Canada will use a system much like the U.S., where Provinces are alotted Electoral Votes using a combination Senators+Members of Parliament. The winner of a province's popular vote will win all of the Electors in that province.

And thus, the first Presidential election is to be held in the months of August and September in 1867.

The Conservatives nominate Sir John A. Macdonald, a Scottsman from Kingston, Ontario (previously Upper Canada). He had played a large role in bringing together Confederation and was immensley popular in Ontario and Quebec, but less so in the more cynical provinces of Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. Macdonald had served on numerous occaisons as one of the joint premiers of the province of Canada. The man he chose to run as his Vice President had also served as a joint Premier of Canada, and another important figure in Canada's confederation, George-Etienne Cartier from Quebec. He played an important role in getting Quebec (Lower Canada) on board with Confederation.

The Liberals also nominate a Scottsman from Ontario, George Brown. Brown had supported Confederation, but was very critical Macdonald and Cartier's means of putting together confederation. He selected Joseph Howe of Nova Scotia as his Vice Presidential candidate. Howe was an opponent of Confederation, and thus the ticket appealed to those more cynical of confederation as a whole.

When all the votes had been counted, the Conservatives were able to win narrow victories in both Quebec and Ontario ensuring an easy victory in terms of electoral votes. The Liberals were very popular in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick where people were very cyncial towards Confederation.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 10:56:13 PM »

Part II: 1871

Ontario Liberal leader Edward Blake resigns his seat in the Ontario Legislative Assembly after winning the federal Liberal nomination for President. He chose another Ontarian, Alexander Mackenzie.

In 1870, Manitoba joined Confederation and in 1871 British Columbia joined.

The two new provinces joined under the hope Macdonald would extend the railway to the west, and thus supported the Conservatives in the election. Nova Scotia shed its anti-confederation views and also voted for Macdonald/Cartier. However a strong campaign from the Blake/Mackenzie ticket was able to win Ontario.  Holding on to New Brunswick for the Liberals ensured victory in the electoral college. The popular vote did not change since the last election, but Ontario swinging to the Liberals was enough to give the party its first administration.

True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 10:57:43 PM »

Why is Manitoba so small?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 10:59:03 PM »

Those were its original borders.

You may notice another slight discrepancy between the Ontario there and the current Ontario, as well:

This looks like it could be very interesting. Smiley
Kevinstat

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 11:34:18 PM »

So I take it there would be no provision against a provinces' electors voting for both a Presidential and Vice Presidential candidate from that province (as in Ontario's electors voting for the all-Ontario ticket of Blake-Mackenzie in 1871).  Or will you revise your above post to eliminate that problem, as in Mr. Blake choosing a different running mate in 1871 or either Blake or Mackenzie moving to another province (as I've heard someone say Dick Cheney did - moving to another state, not province, in his case - soon before the 2000 election as he had lived in Texas before then - although his Congressional service when he was in Congress was from Wyoming)?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 11:35:06 PM »
« Edited: February 04, 2007, 10:09:39 PM by EarlAW »

During the Blake administration, scandal errupts as it has been revealed that during the 1871 election, the owner of the Canadian Pacific Railway (Hugh Allan) had contributed to the Macdonald campaign. Allan had been competing for a contract for Canada's transcontinental railway. As this scandal broke out, the Liberals became very popular and easily won re-election in 1875 losing only Manitoba.

During the administration it should be noted that President Blake had been very ill and Vice President Mackenzie had done a lot of the presidential duties. However, Blake gets better and is well enough to run for re-election in 1875.

The Conservatives in shambles decided against chosing Macdonald as their candidate for President, and opted for former Quebec governor Pierre-Joseph-Olivier Chauveau. He chose one of Macdonalds Secretaries of State, Francis Hincks. The tories only lose six points in the polls, but as mentioned can only muster Manitoba.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 11:36:42 PM »

So I take it there would be no provision against a provinces' electors voting for both a Presidential and Vice Presidential candidate from that province (as in Ontario's electors voting for the all-Ontario ticket of Blake-Mackenzie in 1871).  Or will you revise your above post to eliminate that problem, as in Mr. Blake choosing a different running mate in 1871 or either Blake or Mackenzie moving to another province (as I've heard someone say Dick Cheney did - moving to another state, not province, in his case - soon before the 2000 election as he had lived in Texas before then - although his Congressional service when he was in Congress was from Wyoming)?

Nah, I'm not going to follow the US constitutional provisions. You will also note that Macdonald was not born in Canada. I may also have Presidents having more than 2 terms, but we'll see.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 10:07:09 PM »
« Edited: October 14, 2008, 03:04:11 PM by SoFA EarlAW »

During the second term of the Blake / Mackenzie administration, Canada falls under an economic depression.  While the administration was known for many governmental and democratic reforms, it also worked on expanding free trade, specifically with the United States. This proved to be tremendously unpopular with the voters, and the depression made things worse.

The Conservatives looked to the past when the selected their Presidential nominee in Former President Sir John A. Macdonald. With Cartier now dead, Macdonald selected Quebec Governor Charles Boucher de Boucherville as his Vice Presidential nominee.

Canadians voted overwhelmingly for the past, and voted Macdonald in for his second term of office. The Traditional Liberal stronghold of New Brunswick was the only victory for President Blake.

Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 10:13:18 PM »

Canadians voted overwhelmingly for the past, and voted Macdonald in for his second term of office.

Wouldn't this be Macdonald's third term?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 10:43:50 PM »

Canadians voted overwhelmingly for the past, and voted Macdonald in for his second term of office.

Nope... not in this timeline...

1867-1871 Macdonald
1871-1875 Blake
1875-1879 Blake
1879-1883 Macdonald
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 10:45:14 PM »

Nope... not in this timeline...

1867-1871 Macdonald
1871-1875 Blake
1875-1879 Blake
1879-1883 Macdonald

Oh, my mistake, I forgot that Macdonald lost the second election.  I only took a quick glance at the popular vote. Tongue
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2007, 03:07:48 AM »
« Edited: February 10, 2007, 03:11:42 AM by EarlAW »

1883!

Macdonald remains very popular in his second term as President, and runs for re-election. He begins a tradition unlike the American tradition of not stopping at two terms.  He campaigned on the success of the "National Policy" which increased tarrifs to promote industry in Canada.

The Liberals pick Ontario Governor Oliver Mowat in the hope to win at least Ontario. He picks Blakes Treasurer, Richard John Cartwright. The Liberals campaign on Free Trade, which was what Cartwright was known for heavily promoting during the Blake administration.

This fails in getting any more votes however. People love Macdonald, and return him to victory. Only Prince Edward Island switches alegiances to the Liberals, while the national popular vote stays the same.

Kevinstat

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 12:11:28 AM »

I notice New Brunswick and Nova Scotia's # of electors increased between 1867 and 1871, then went back to their original numbers between 1871 and 1875.  I don't think PEI was part of either NB or NS before it became a province of Canada (I think that was due to ascension (sp?) to the Dominion).  I also think your math must be wrong somewhere as why else would there have been 10 more electors in 1879 than in 1875 when all the same provinces existed with the same number of electors apeice?

I now see where the error is (besides possibly inadvertantly reducing NB's and NS's elector count mid-decade).  Based on the values in your map, in the 1879 election, Macdonald and Boucher should have recieved 9 + 6 + 112 + 89 + 10 + 31 = 257 electoral votes, not 267.  That plus Blake and Mackenzie's 26 equals 283, the same as the number of electoral votes up for grabs four years earlier (in 1875) and 5 less than the 288 electoral votes up for grabs four years later in 1883, when Ontario gained four electoral votes (and presumably four more MPs) and Manitoba gained 1.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 01:03:08 AM »

I notice New Brunswick and Nova Scotia's # of electors increased between 1867 and 1871, then went back to their original numbers between 1871 and 1875.  I don't think PEI was part of either NB or NS before it became a province of Canada (I think that was due to ascension (sp?) to the Dominion).  I also think your math must be wrong somewhere as why else would there have been 10 more electors in 1879 than in 1875 when all the same provinces existed with the same number of electors apeice?

I now see where the error is (besides possibly inadvertantly reducing NB's and NS's elector count mid-decade).  Based on the values in your map, in the 1879 election, Macdonald and Boucher should have recieved 9 + 6 + 112 + 89 + 10 + 31 = 257 electoral votes, not 267.  That plus Blake and Mackenzie's 26 equals 283, the same as the number of electoral votes up for grabs four years earlier (in 1875) and 5 less than the 288 electoral votes up for grabs four years later in 1883, when Ontario gained four electoral votes (and presumably four more MPs) and Manitoba gained 1.

The situation in NS and NB was because they lost Senate seats when PEI became a province. If I made any other math problems, then well, I'm human.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2007, 03:00:34 AM »

Is Canada any different in terms of laws/policies?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2007, 03:59:33 PM »

Bump for Earl Smiley
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2008, 07:27:29 PM »

This was fun.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2008, 05:20:22 PM »

Bump.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2008, 08:58:30 PM »

Alrighty, I'll see what I can do
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2008, 09:42:43 PM »

The CPR was completed from coast to coast in 1885, which was one of Macdonalds promises, however it plunged the government into debt with all of its shortfalls. Also that year, Louis Riel returned from exile in the US and launched the North-West rebellion. It was quashed due to troops being sent from central Canada quickly because of the new railway. This made Macdonald's vision all worth it. Louis Riel would later be executed. This created a deep division in Canadian society which led to a divisive election.

Macdonald was quite popular, so he he and de Boucherville opted for yet another term. Running against them was Ontario Provincial Treasurer Samuel Wood. His running mate would be a young congressman by the name of Wilfrid Laurier. The Liberals realized it was time to copy the Conservatives by weighting the ticket between Quebec and Ontario. It proved to be somewhat successful, as three provinces were decided with razor thin margins:

Manitoba:
Macdonald: 50.2
Wood: 49.8

Ontario:
Macdonald: 50.9
Wood: 49.1

NB
Macdonald: 50.4
Wood: 49.6

Unfortunately for the Liberals, while increasing the popular vote, the lost New Brunswick, and could only hold on to Prince Edward Island.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2008, 09:51:54 PM »

In gearing up for the 1891 election, Macdonald suffers a stroke, making him unable to speak. He does not decide to run for re-election, so de Boucherville declares his candidacy, selecting an anglo Quebecer, John Abbott as his VP candidate. One June 6, just months before the election, Macdonald died vaulting de Boucherville into the presidency.

List of Presidents:
1867-1871: John Alexander Macdonald, C
1871-1879: Dominick Edward Blake, L
1879-1891: John Alexander Macdonald, C
1891: Charles-Eugène-Napoléon Boucher de Boucherville, C
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2008, 10:00:18 PM »

The Liberals select Quebec Governor Honore Mercier. He picks Nova Scotia governor William Fielding to be his running mate.

The 1891 election was fought over Macdonald and de Bouchervilles "National Policy" of protective tariffs.  Mercier opposed it, supporting reciprocity. De Boucherville campaigned on the legacy of Macdonald, highlighting the stability of the last term.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2008, 11:33:56 PM »

Hurrah! Update!

I'm really looking forward to the coming years.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2008, 03:51:32 PM »

1891 results:
The Liberals finally break into Ontario, as the tories pick two Quebecers on their ticket, but with only PEI in their column, they are unable to win the election.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2008, 03:56:50 PM »

November 4, 1892: Abbott resigns as Vice President, as he is suffering from brain cancer. He dies a year later. He is replaced by John Thompson.

December 12, 1894: John Thompson suffers a heart attack, after a short term plagued by illness. He dies. He is replaced by Mackenzie Bowell as Vice President.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies