Wal-Mart Cuts Taxes By Paying Rent to Itself
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:58:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Wal-Mart Cuts Taxes By Paying Rent to Itself
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Wal-Mart Cuts Taxes By Paying Rent to Itself  (Read 2648 times)
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 01, 2007, 07:17:21 PM »

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB117027500505994065.html?mod=hps_us_at_glance_most_pop

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Good for them.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 07:19:55 PM »

That's a well-spotted loophole, even if I don't particularly understand it myself.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 07:22:12 PM »
« Edited: February 01, 2007, 07:24:42 PM by Gully Foyle »

Nice to know that big corporations like Walmart have enough money to hire the best corporate tax lawyers to spot these loopholes so that their leading shareholders can still rake in obscene amounts of cash... while those businesses which can't hire the best lawyers.. can not. 
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 07:24:55 PM »

Nice to know that big corporations like Walmart have enough money to hire the best corporate tax lawyers to stop these loopholes so that their leading shareholders can still rake in obscene amounts of cash... while those businesses which can't hire the best lawyers.. can not. 

Now that this perfectly legal (I would presume) loophole has been publicized, what's to stop any business from exploiting it?  They might has well take advantage of it too while they still can.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 07:24:59 PM »

Nice to know that big corporations like Walmart have enough money to hire the best corporate tax lawyers to stop these loopholes so that their leading shareholders can still rake in obscene amounts of cash... while those businesses which can't hire the best lawyers.. can not. 
Don't be an idiot.  This is taught in any third-year tax course.  Any CA can tell you about it.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 07:26:47 PM »

Nice to know that big corporations like Walmart have enough money to hire the best corporate tax lawyers to spot these loopholes so that their leading shareholders can still rake in obscene amounts of cash... while those businesses which can't hire the best lawyers.. can not. 

Well, if a smaller company wants to hire such "hotshot" lawyers maybe they should sell a better quality product, have better customer service and run a top notch outfit.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 07:27:32 PM »

Now that this perfectly legal (I would presume) loophole has been publicized, what's to stop any business from exploiting it?  They might has well take advantage of it too while they still can.
It is closed federally, but not in many states.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 07:27:41 PM »

I'm sure that 100% of the money saved through this, ah, induced tax break is most definitely being funneled directly to the workers to benefit them in their daily lives.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 07:29:25 PM »

Owners, not workers.  Money Wal-Mart saves in taxes is paid to people like me.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 07:29:34 PM »

Don't be an idiot.  This is taught in any third-year tax course.  Any CA can tell you about it.

Well not being versed in US tax law (as I am not an American citizen) I wouldn't know this - my point was aimed at the simple fact that in any country with such a complex tax code the rich will always find ways to skive off paying - even though they are the ones who can afford it the most. A nice insight into the minds of most of the world's movers and shakers, no?

Greed. And What Gabu says two posts below me.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 07:32:47 PM »

If the US and Canada didn't have such high taxes, I would gladly pay it.  However, any company I do start will be utilizing a complex system of holding companies and trusts in different countries to exploit tax treaties and reduce taxes payable to nothing.

Yes, I am specializing in tax for my CA/CPA.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 07:33:16 PM »

Well, if a smaller company wants to hire such "hotshot" lawyers maybe they should sell a better quality product, have better customer service and run a top notch outfit.

Or they could just move to their business to some sh**thole third world country with uber-cheap slaves labour so that they could sell their products at a much cheaper price in the west. (or, as we are talking about retail here, pay illegal immigrants sub-living standard wages and criminal hours.)

And don't give me the whole "Sweat shops are better than the alternative" argument - It's true of course, but that doesn't mean it's right either.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 07:33:27 PM »
« Edited: February 01, 2007, 07:42:06 PM by Joebot »

I would say "opportunity", actually.  And if the workers aren't happy about what the company does with the money, they could always leave and get a new job (provided the local unemployment rate is low, o/c)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 07:34:00 PM »

Horrible company. Enron had a subsidary for every 7 employees.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 07:34:58 PM »

Horrible company. Enron had a subsidary for every 7 employees.
Don't forget the SPEs.  It complicates preparing consolidated financial statements my several magnitudes.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2007, 07:38:50 PM »

If the US and Canada didn't have such high taxes, I would gladly pay it.  However, any company I do start will be utilizing a complex system of holding companies and trusts in different countries to exploit tax treaties and reduce taxes payable to nothing.

Yes, I am specializing in tax for my CA/CPA.

Ohhh... Noes... TAX! It never ceases to amaze me when conservatives talk about "liberty" they are really talking about "not paying Tax", or "Greed" in other words. I do think that most mainstream tax rates are rather high (or rather, that there is too much indirect taxation).. but no individual should be the judge of this.

Of course I hope any company you start will actually provide pension and health insurance to it's workers (Unlike Walmart).

I would say "opportunity", actually.  And if the workers aren't happy about what the company does with the money, they could always leave and get a new job (provided the local unemployment rate is low, o/c, because then they can bitch about it)

I imagine most of these workers are too low-skilled to get any alternative job of worth, I mean, who would work at Walmart?
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2007, 07:49:17 PM »

It will be a service company, and the employees will be able to buy their own insurance or pensions.  The company will of course offer generous deferred pay through ... once again, some tax loop holes.

There is nothing wrong with greed.  I'm greedy in that *I* want to decide how to spend my money.  I'm fine with charity.  I'll most likely implement Ben and Jerry's decision that no exective will be paid more than 5 times that the lowest salary is at.  I do not, however, want the government to use MY money to fight unjust wars, pay fat slobs to sit at home and watch TV while eating cheetos, and do abortions.  Just to name a few.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2007, 07:58:50 PM »
« Edited: February 01, 2007, 08:01:57 PM by Gully Foyle »

It will be a service company, and the employees will be able to buy their own insurance or pensions.  The company will of course offer generous deferred pay through ... once again, some tax loop holes.

There is nothing wrong with greed.  I'm greedy in that *I* want to decide how to spend my money.  I'm fine with charity.  I'll most likely implement Ben and Jerry's decision that no exective will be paid more than 5 times that the lowest salary is at.  I do not, however, want the government to use MY money to fight unjust wars, pay fat slobs to sit at home and watch TV while eating cheetos, and do abortions.  Just to name a few.

Now I agree with the rest of your post except for the bit in bold (but knowing of people on the dole I think only roughly 1%-2% of those who actually "Sit at home and watch TV while eating cheetos", I'd more of those types are of the "Opebo Brand" - i.e: Spoiled rich kids who mooch off their affulent parents - nothing to do with Goverment)

But I've never got this whole Ayn Rand\Gordon Geeko "Greed is good" - Greed is what drives the unjust wars you seem so worried about, Greed is what drove many of the acts of pillage and violence throughout history, from the Huns to the Mongols to the British Empire, It was Greed for various resources which what drove it. Greed also drove the Slave Trade (But it's okay - there was no goverment intervention there and the Traders got to decide how to spend THEIR money, so it's all good.) and Greed is what still drives Sweat shops, inhuman treatment and barbarism. In short Greed is the opposite of anything that could possibly stand for "good" or "just" in a supposed "free" society like ourselves.

Unless you of course you subscribe to some social darwinist neathanderalism which was discredited a long time ago.

And good luck in your business.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2007, 08:09:06 PM »

Unless you of course you subscribe to some social darwinist neathanderalism which was discredited a long time ago.

Ah... I see by this that you've never had the pleasure (?) of coming across Richius before...
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2007, 09:04:13 PM »
« Edited: February 01, 2007, 09:08:02 PM by opebo »

Fellows, fellows, this has nothing to do with 'right' or 'wrong' on either side.  It is simple a reflection of political power.  Wealth is the result of having political power, and nothing else.  The poors labouring in sweatshops have none, whereas the WalMart owners have it Big Time.

Think of it this way - it is a society of cannibalistic apes, built upon brutality, pain, and consumption of the dominated party. 
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2007, 09:10:28 PM »

Lay off the Crackpipe, Opebo.

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2007, 10:21:00 PM »

No, you'd have to be on crack to defend Wal-Mart.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2007, 01:55:35 PM »

This is a tax loophole that the States have been slow to close and I don't blame Wal-Mart a bit for seeking lawful ways to avoid paying tax.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2007, 06:08:07 PM »

That's a well-spotted loophole, even if I don't particularly understand it myself.

I don't understand it either, which is probably why the Waltons are rich while you and I are not.  Smiley Anyway more power to them.
Deano963

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2007, 06:33:25 PM »

Reason #7,892,018 why my ping-pong table I bought about four years ago is the first and last thing I will ever buy from Wal-Mart.

Horrible, horrible, horrible company that is responsible for half of our national trade deficit alone and has one of the worst anti-worker policies of any company in the country.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies