Libertarian influence on gubernatorial elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:35:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Libertarian influence on gubernatorial elections
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Libertarian influence on gubernatorial elections  (Read 942 times)
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 03, 2007, 06:01:26 PM »

1998:
Because of Bill Owens's semi-libertarian positions, the Libertarian party candidate does not draw enough voters to cost Owens the election. Had the GOP put up a more socially conservative candidate, Schoettler would have surely won.

2002:
The Democratic margin of victory is less than the percent of the vote received by Libertarians in AZ, OR, WI, and WY. Napolitano, Kulongoski, Doyle, and Freudenthal owe their poltical lives to the Libertarian Party.

2004:
The Democratic margin of victory is less than the percent of the vote received by Libertarians in WA. Gregoire owes his political life to the LP.

Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 06:04:04 PM »

You make the almost certainly fallacious assumptions that:

a) All people who vote Libertarian would otherwise vote Republican. It's probably more like 60-65%.
b) All people who vote Libertarian would bother to vote at all. Votes for minor parties tend to be drawn at least half from thin air rather than from one party or the other unless it is obvious that the minor candidate has momentum.
RBH

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 06:08:33 PM »

3) Christine Gregiore is a woman.

4) Freudenthal got 49.96% of the vote in 2002.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 10:29:59 PM »

In Washington, Gregoire was hurt more by the Libertarian Party than helped. In fact, I believe more Libertarians in Washington have Democratic tendancies than Republican leanings.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 12:53:27 PM »

Gregoire owes her political life to the LP.

Unlikely, considering that the LP candidate in that race openly admitted to running for the specific reason of drawing votes from Gregorie. She ran on the single issue of gay marriage (pro, of course).
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 07:29:13 PM »

This is something that I REALLY, REALLY hate of the two-party system, using this example of assuming that all Libertarian voters would automatically go for a Republican and that these voters are nothing more than "spoilers".

There have been several instences were third party canidates have been able to break the two-party system i.e. Angus King, Jesse Ventura, and Perot came very close to doing so in 1992 and may have done so in my opinion had he stayed in the race consently.     
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 12:43:45 AM »

As others have already states, the Libertarian candidate in Washington was an anti-war lesbian who mentioned that she wanted to show Libertarians stole votes from Democrats, too.

Luckily Gregoire won anyway.

MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 01:02:50 AM »

as much as I appreciate the libertarians entering a race and getting attention, I do have to say Libertarians need to get over themselves (with many cases).  It's not like were pulling a solid 10% or anything-that would be worthy of bragging over.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies