Gerrymandering Alabama
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:21:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Gerrymandering Alabama
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gerrymandering Alabama  (Read 747 times)
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 03, 2007, 12:46:58 PM »
« edited: February 03, 2007, 12:59:08 PM by Mr.Phips »

I can't seem to get a picture loaded, so you will have to imagine.

I would basically shift some counties between AL-07 and AL-02 to try to make them more evenly balanced.

Current Balance:

AL-02:  67%/33% Bush-Safe Rep.
AL-07:  64%/35% Kerry-Safe Dem

First, move the string of black belt or swing counties(Wilcox, Choctaw, Marengo, the AL-07 portion of Clarke and Dallas) from AL-07 into AL-02.

Second, we compensate for this loss by moving heavily Republican Autuga and Elmore counties into AL-07 from AL-02.

New Balance:

AL-02:  58%/42% Bush-Leans Blue Dog Dem
AL-07:  55%/44% Kerry-Safe Dem

AL-07 is now 53% black rather than 62% and AL-02 is now 38% black rather than 29%.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 01:07:58 PM »

I think AL-3 could be winnable in its current form for the Democrats - at some point. 
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 01:48:20 PM »

I think AL-3 could be winnable in its current form for the Democrats - at some point. 

Yeah it could, and it almost was in 2002.  They just need to find a Democrat that is able to raise more money than the ones that ran in 2004 and 2006.  The candidate in 2004 raised about $6,000 and still got 39% of the vote.
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 05:50:19 PM »

My Alabama gerrymander would gerrymander the hell out of Mobile County.  I would remove all the black precincts from the first district and then stretch the district from the white parts of Mobile County along the Florida border to Houston County.  I would then combine the swing counties and the black belt, Montgomery with rural AL-07 for a fairly strong majority black district.  I would extricate AL-07 from Jefferson county and make a Jefferson County district that should be at least 40% black and that could reelect Artur Davis, a similar black democrat or a moderate white Democrat.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 06:07:27 PM »

My Alabama gerrymander would gerrymander the hell out of Mobile County.  I would remove all the black precincts from the first district and then stretch the district from the white parts of Mobile County along the Florida border to Houston County.  I would then combine the swing counties and the black belt, Montgomery with rural AL-07 for a fairly strong majority black district.  I would extricate AL-07 from Jefferson county and make a Jefferson County district that should be at least 40% black and that could reelect Artur Davis, a similar black democrat or a moderate white Democrat.

The problem with moving Montgomery out of AL-03 is that it would put that district out of reach for Democrats.  I would try to keep any Southern black majority district in the 50%-54% range to ensure that their votes are not wasted. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies