Minors purchasing "dangerous" chemicals and drugs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 04:13:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Minors purchasing "dangerous" chemicals and drugs
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should it be illegal for minors to purchase things that in themselves are harmless, but contain chemicals that could make bombs, etc...?  What about drugs like decongestant (which can be overdosed on)?
Yes/Yes (R)

Yes/Yes (D)

Yes/Yes (I/O)

Yes/No (R)

Yes/No (D)

Yes/No (I/O)

No/Yes (R)

No/Yes (D)

No/Yes (I/O)

No/No (R)

No/No (D)

No/No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 14

Author Topic: Minors purchasing "dangerous" chemicals and drugs  (Read 1170 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 03, 2007, 08:48:25 PM »

No/No (R).  I just went to the store (about 25 mins. away) to get laser printer cleaner paper.  So I go to the checkout and she rings it up-->asks my age-->"17"-->"You have to be 18 to buy this."-->blank stare-->I just stare at her for a while and she keeps saying sorry--the computer says you can't buy it.  So the guy next to me offers to buy it for me--and she lets him.  Then she says it's to keep kids from building bombs.

IT'S A FRICKIN' PIECE OF PAPER (moistened)--I can MAYBE understand the kit w/ the chemicals in the bottles--but how the ho are you gonna make a bomb from paper.

And they've also outlawed buying decongestants.  So if I can't breathe, my mother has to get me pills?  This is ridiculous.  Because a few stupid teens do things, we all suffer.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 08:56:26 PM »

No/Yes.  Minors shouldn't be buying medication off the shelves.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 09:02:45 PM »

No/No

16 year old: "My single mother is sick and I need to buy some flu medicine for her, what the hell do you mean you can't sell it to me?"

Small children I agree with, but there's legitimate reasons a teenage might need to buy some over the counter stuff.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 09:23:38 PM »

No/No

16 year old: "My single mother is sick and I need to buy some flu medicine for her, what the hell do you mean you can't sell it to me?"

Small children I agree with, but there's legitimate reasons a teenage might need to buy some over the counter stuff.

Ya--or pain killer.  I get headaches about once or twice a week--and what do I do when we have no more pain killer and nobody's home?  If I wait, it'll get bad.  What they need to do is somehow think of a way to keep actual drug seekers from getting drugs.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 09:45:17 PM »

No/No (R)

Responsible minors shouldn't be deprived of their rights due to the actions of a few irresponsible minors.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 12:39:15 AM »

No/No

True, there might be legitimate reasons, but there are also adults that can do it for them, if not a relative, a neighbor or friend.  Just like a minor cannot buy cigarrettes for a bed-ridden parent, a minor shouldn't be able to buy medication.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 12:51:12 AM »

True, there might be legitimate reasons, but there are also adults that can do it for them, if not a relative, a neighbor or friend.  Just like a minor cannot buy cigarrettes for a bed-ridden parent, a minor shouldn't be able to buy medication.

That's quite the presumption - what if there's no neighbor, friend, or relative available to do it?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 12:52:54 AM »

No/No

Ya--but cigarettes don't EVER do good for you--meds. can (and most of the time do)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 04:08:15 PM »

Ya--but cigarettes don't EVER do good for you--meds. can (and most of the time do)

Medication is more likely to kill you than cigarrettes though. 

That's quite the presumption - what if there's no neighbor, friend, or relative available to do it?

No, it's realistic.  No one lives in a vacuum.  While there might be select few cases, I'm sure there are still ways around it if the medication is truly needed.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 04:14:08 PM »

Decongestant is more likely to kill you than cigarettes?  Really?  Is there some dangerous side-effect of decongestant that I'm not aware of?

No, it's realistic.  No one lives in a vacuum.  While there might be select few cases, I'm sure there are still ways around it if the medication is truly needed.

Unfortunately, I was one of those select few cases last night.  No way of buying cough medicine.  Miserable.  I imagine that would really suck for emancipated minors.

I'm wary of these laws because legislators tend to propose feel-good laws to curb the meth epidemic.  Has any research actually been done that shows that this helps anything?  There's already a limit of one box per customer, so people are probably going to shoplift instead anyway.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 04:26:05 PM »

Again you're making a presumption. "I'm sure there's a way" doesn't make there actually be a way - just because you would like to believe something doesn't change the reality of it. If there is no adult available to purchase the medicine, who exactly is supposed to do it?
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2007, 04:46:55 PM »

What's so bad about freedom?
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2007, 05:00:29 PM »

Again you're making a presumption. "I'm sure there's a way" doesn't make there actually be a way - just because you would like to believe something doesn't change the reality of it. If there is no adult available to purchase the medicine, who exactly is supposed to do it?
Indeed. Alcon already gave an example. I have been in similar situations before (other than my mother, there really wasn't anyone else around when I was younger), and given my numerous health problems it can become very dangerous if I don't have quick access to medications. Not everyone has adult family members and friends who are readily available to purchase over-the-counter medications.

I can understand the reasons behind wanting to prevent three-year-olds from purchasing cough syrup, but teenagers? Just because you can get high from cough syrup or manufacture drugs from various over-the-counter medications doesn't mean that all teenagers should be banned from buying them. It's not as though adults don't screw around with medications.

I don't agree with age restrictions in general, especially not those that are actively enforced by the government. If an individual store doesn't want to sell NyQuil to minors, fine, whatever. The private business can decide who it wants to sell medications to. But why should the government force stores to adhere to stupid regulations that don't prevent determined druggies from acquiring medications through some other shady means whilst making it unnecessarily inconvenient and difficult for law-abiding teenagers to buy medications that they really need? Some teenagers buy medications and abuse them, but does that mean that most teenagers abuse medications? Of course not.

I don't believe that it's the government's responsibility. That's all.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2007, 07:55:36 AM »

Decongestant is more likely to kill you than cigarettes?  Really?  Is there some dangerous side-effect of decongestant that I'm not aware of?

Now you know I'm talking about overdosing.  Smoking 20 cigarettes in one day isn't going to kill you, but swallowing 20 decongestants can.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2007, 08:32:03 AM »

Now you know I'm talking about overdosing.  Smoking 20 cigarettes in one day isn't going to kill you, but swallowing 20 decongestants can.

So lets ban guns.

But seriously, MODU just supports every sort of anti-freedom social control - kneejerk reaction.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2007, 09:36:06 AM »

But cigarettes are terribly addictive. Decongestants not so much. How many people actually are killed by over the counter meds. I'm sure you can find isolated cases here and there (it's a big country), but the numbers are negligible compared to those killed by cigarettes.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2007, 10:32:37 AM »

But cigarettes are terribly addictive. Decongestants not so much. How many people actually are killed by over the counter meds.

Not sure if there is a website that tracks that data.  I'll have to look.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2007, 01:54:38 PM »

im nearly 30 years old and i recently got carded buying infant tylenol.

but massachusetts is a fing police state, so no surprise.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2007, 07:03:43 PM »

No/No (R).  I just went to the store (about 25 mins. away) to get laser printer cleaner paper.  So I go to the checkout and she rings it up-->asks my age-->"17"-->"You have to be 18 to buy this."-->blank stare-->I just stare at her for a while and she keeps saying sorry--the computer says you can't buy it.  So the guy next to me offers to buy it for me--and she lets him.  Then she says it's to keep kids from building bombs.

IT'S A FRICKIN' PIECE OF PAPER (moistened)--I can MAYBE understand the kit w/ the chemicals in the bottles--but how the ho are you gonna make a bomb from paper.

And they've also outlawed buying decongestants.  So if I can't breathe, my mother has to get me pills?  This is ridiculous.  Because a few stupid teens do things, we all suffer.

Now that is stupid.

They need to repeal the law on decongestants, and have the federal government step in to prohibit states from having laws like this.

I don't know what store this is that won't let a 17-year-old buy paper, but unfortunately this attitude is all too typical these days in Corporate America. Everyone's considered a criminal by them.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2007, 07:08:17 PM »

Decongestant is more likely to kill you than cigarettes?  Really?

Ted Kooklongoski the DINO thinks so.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm sure there has, but when the results weren't what the right-wing media hoped for, it was never reported publicly.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2007, 08:41:20 PM »

We should stop carding people for everything.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies