Should Minnesota be exempt from No Child Left Behind?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:58:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should Minnesota be exempt from No Child Left Behind?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should Minnesota be exempt from No Child Left Behind?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 20

Author Topic: Should Minnesota be exempt from No Child Left Behind?  (Read 1449 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 04, 2007, 03:00:18 PM »

Yes. It isn't doing us any good and is just really screwing up our education system. Everyone here, including the Republicans, hates it.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 03:01:35 PM »

Yes, as should every state - yours isn't special. The federal government needs to keep it's grubby little hands out of education. The states can handle the job.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 03:03:59 PM »

Along with the other 49 states, yes.

Alone, no.  Unpopularity is a reason for uni-state exemption from federal laws?  Don't tell the Southeast.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 03:05:29 PM »

The thing is that NCLB is of no benefit here at all. It was designed for states with crappy education systems like Mississippi (direct quote from one of my professors, don't kill me Harry!) The same is true of other states, who should also be exempt. Idiot Bush should quit trying to force retarded "one size fits all" policies.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 03:10:57 PM »

The thing is that NCLB is of no benefit here at all. It was designed for states with crappy education systems like Mississippi (direct quote from one of my professors, don't kill me Harry!)

Well, if your professors said it...

(Of course, Mississippi does have an awful education system, but you should have verified that for yourself instead of just echoing your professors.)

That's kind of a dumb argument.  Minnesota's education system may be very good, but it has schools that are probably much worse than Mississippi's best.  Evaluating that on the state level and ridding of it, instead of doing it school-by-school, is stupid.  Not that I like NCLB, but that's a nonsensical way of applying it.

The same is true of other states, who should also be exempt. Idiot Bush should quit trying to force retarded "one size fits all" policies.

It's trite, but I have to point out a grammatical error sometime during this interchange.  It's an obligation in every topic about the school system.  Tongue
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 07:39:05 PM »

The only role the federal government should play in education should be as an equalizer in per pupil spending.  Minnesotans (??)  aren't the only ones who find NCLB to be a pain in the arse.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 07:49:25 PM »

Yes, as should every state - yours isn't special. The federal government needs to keep it's grubby little hands out of education. The states can handle the job.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 08:10:58 PM »

Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 08:54:35 PM »

Just throw NCLB out completely. Someone evidently didn't understand the difference between "No Child Left Behind" and "Every Child Left Behind". I really don't approve of the federal government getting involved with education unless some particularly dire issue arises. Just let regional governments handle this. The education system is bad enough as it is without the federal government constantly getting involved.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 09:56:14 PM »

Kinda funny people think this is the case, but when it comes to minimum wage, you absolutely NEED the Federal Government intervening in the matter.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 10:50:02 PM »

David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2007, 11:15:02 PM »

Exactimoli.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2007, 11:17:04 PM »
« Edited: February 04, 2007, 11:19:45 PM by David S »

The thing is that NCLB is of no benefit here at all. It was designed for states with crappy education systems like Mississippi (direct quote from one of my professors, don't kill me Harry!) The same is true of other states, who should also be exempt. Idiot Bush should quit trying to force retarded "one size fits all" policies.
Bingo.
BTW When did you become a fan of states rights?
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2007, 11:19:15 PM »

Kinda funny people think this is the case, but when it comes to minimum wage, you absolutely NEED the Federal Government intervening in the matter.

Nice straw man!

I'm simply pointing out-why is it that when an unfavorable bill comes along it should be a state's rights matter, and when a favorable bill comes along it is something that the federal government should be intervening in.  Can you answer me this?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2007, 11:05:31 AM »

NCLB has good intentions and some good points, but like with many good-intentioned policies and laws, it's been crapped up by partisan additions/subtractions.  Remember, this is Teddy's bill, but Bush gets crap because he signed it.  In any case, no, Minnesota should not be exempt, nor should any state.  The law should be tweaked appropriately to be more beneficial to the individual schools.

BTW:  If you are going to start a debate with "It isn't doing us any good and is just really screwing up our education system," you REALLY have to provide something to base that on rather than just your own personal testimony.  Like it or not, schools have improved under the system (based on testing scores).  Now, are the kids actually learning the material rather than just studying for the test, who knows.

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2007, 11:14:51 AM »

If it was doing any good for Minnesota, you think SOMEONE important in the state would support it but we have no one in any position that does, like I said even the Republicans hate it, and Minnesota is suing the federal government over it. Many have even said we might be better off not bothering with NCLB and just reject the federal funds that come attached to it.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2007, 11:19:30 AM »

If it was doing any good for Minnesota, you think SOMEONE important in the state would support it but we have no one in any position that does, like I said even the Republicans hate it, and Minnesota is suing the federal government over it. Many have even said we might be better off not bothering with NCLB and just reject the federal funds that come attached to it.

That might be true, but it never hurts to actually provide something at the beginning of your argument to back it up and allow people to reference.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2007, 01:22:44 PM »

The original poster of this thread is proof enough that the education system gap between Minnesota and Mississippi isn't as great as he wants us to think.  Tongue
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2007, 02:16:16 PM »

Democratic fallacy?
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2007, 09:40:14 PM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies