First-generation immigrants
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:24:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  First-generation immigrants
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: First-generation immigrants  (Read 2727 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 05, 2004, 01:07:09 PM »

From political compass...

Disagree.
MarkDel

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 05:01:53 PM »

Strongly disagree. I have seen it happen with my own eyes. Plus, I know from what my family has achieved what is possible if you focus on being an American and not making sure you "retain your cultural heritage"

My grandfather came to the US from Sicily in 1919 after he  served in World War I for Italy. He spoke no English, had no money...nothing. He spent his whole life focused on becoming an American, learning the language, the culture, and fitting in so that he could build a better life for his family. One of his first jobs was digging the drainage ditches around Bellevue Country Club in Syracuse, New York. He lived long enough to see his grand-son, me, become the junior club champion of that same country club. America is an extremely receptive nation to immigrants, provided the immigrants are willing to be Americans first, and "hyphen Americans" second.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 05:46:26 PM »

Strongly disagree.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2004, 09:02:03 PM »

Agree
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004, 09:19:59 PM »

I disagree.

The country integrates around them, not them around the country.

Using Australia as an example; 80 years ago we were pretty much all anglo-celtic. Now, 28% of australians were born overseas and almost half of our population was born overseas or their parents were. Thats a damn big ammount. Whilst some of that 28% is anglo-celtic, the fat is, we've become a nation of immigrants, and we've grown into a multicultural society. Our language is English, our food is...well, name a nation...and our culture is unique to us; because it is all of us.

I however do not strongly agree, as some first generation immigrants remain within their own bubble and don't wish to integrate with the community. Wilst I believe they should have a firm tie to their roots, they ought to be prepared to put aside differences between nationalities at home, and to embrace the australian culture. Most do, and they are better for it, just as we are better for them.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2004, 11:03:43 PM »

Disagree.
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2004, 11:08:02 PM »

In what way? Legally, yes. But linguistically, probably not with the exception of a very few including Arnold Schwarzenegger. My grandmother is an immigrant, and she's not integrated at all. She barely speaks english.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2004, 01:57:05 AM »

I disagree.  Often times, especially in this country, first-gen immigrants are the most patriotic of all people.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2004, 02:10:15 AM »
« Edited: July 06, 2004, 02:20:00 AM by Better Red Than Dead »

I don't see how anyone could agree with such a blanketed question. If you were brought to the country when you were 1 month old, would you really be any different than someone born in the country? But if you limit the question to people who immigrated at a more concious age, the answer is still disagree. In fact, I think it's very likely immigrants could quickly assimilate into the new country and lose all identification with the old one. This happened to me to some extent. I was born in a hospital about 60 miles away from where my parents lived, because that was the closest decent hospital! I then grew up in a rather isolated rural area until I was 9. Ever since then I have lived in various decent-sized cities. Whenever I drive through isolated rural areas though, I actually wonder how exactly the people can stand living there. It's not too uncommon to see towns in western Minnesota and the Dakotas that consist of basically a small dirt path with all the houses on each side, and no other streets, not even a gas station, usually just a grain refinery or something of the sort. I think about how much I would hate to live in such a place and wonder what it's like. But honestly, I should know, because I did. But now I can't comprehend life without a large cable selection, high speed internet, a mall and a few supermarkets within at least a 5 minute drive, and more gas stations and McDonalds that I can count.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2004, 08:12:30 AM »

This really depends on where the immigrants move to when they get here. You are more likely to assimilate well into the culture if you are not around immigrants from your own country. So, if you are Chinese and you move to China Town in New York, you will likely retain most of your Chinese culture. But let's say you move into a city with very little Chinese people, most of them spread out, unaware of eachother, you will likely assimilate into the American culture.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies