Rep. Charlie Norwood (R-GA) Enters Hospice Care
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:12:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Rep. Charlie Norwood (R-GA) Enters Hospice Care
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rep. Charlie Norwood (R-GA) Enters Hospice Care  (Read 1756 times)
J.G.H.
Zeus
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 08, 2007, 01:53:48 AM »

Norwood (GA-10) elects to end further cancer treatment. http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/02/07/georgia.congressman.ap/

Very sad. My thoughts are with him.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 10:07:29 AM »

That looks like he's going where old elephants go to die.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 10:14:01 AM »

Sad
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 10:23:41 AM »

Poor man, my thoughts are with him.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 11:17:39 AM »

Just like with my dad, and many other cancer patients, there seems to be nothing much the medics can do for Rep. Norwood now so they can just make him comfortable and let the wretched Sad disease run its course

Hard as it is, he's made the right call to refuse further treatment. The prognosis can't be much good with it let alone without it

My thoughts are with Rep. Norwood and his family

Dave
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 03:42:54 PM »

A shame, tho I hope he pulls a Buchwald and lasts in a comfortable condition longer than the doctors think he will.  Here's some local news coverage of his arrival in Augusta.

Of course, the crass political issue is which Republican will get his seat.  His district is sufficiently Republican that there's no reasonable chance of a Democrat picking it up.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 03:48:05 PM »

A shame, tho I hope he pulls a Buchwald and lasts in a comfortable condition longer than the doctors think he will.  Here's some local news coverage of his arrival in Augusta.

Of course, the crass political issue is which Republican will get his seat.  His district is sufficiently Republican that there's no reasonable chance of a Democrat picking it up.

True.  66%-32% for Bush in 2000, 72%-27% in 2004. 
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 03:52:42 PM »

Redistricting in 2005 made the district much less Republican by adding liberal Athens in an attempt to defeat Barrow in GA-12.  Under the new lines it went 65%-35% Bush in 2004 and 59%-41% Bush in 2000.  A Democrat one this district as recently as 1992.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 03:54:31 PM »

Redistricting in 2005 made the district much less Republican by adding liberal Athens in an attempt to defeat Barrow in GA-12.  Under the new lines it went 65%-35% Bush in 2004 and 59%-41% Bush in 2000.  A Democrat one this district as recently as 1992.

It would still be an uphill struggle, although an open seat race could potentially be competetive.  Norwood defeated an incumbent Democrat in 1994 by one of the biggest upsets in history, 65%-35% against an incumbent who was not tarred with scandal. 
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 04:04:24 PM »

All I am saying is that I am very offended that Zeus made a thread whiching a Republican from georgia well, but never made a thread wishing the Democratic Senator of his homestate well.. it is strictly because Johnson is a Democrat. 

Considering that there already had been multiple threads made about Johnson's condition, why would he make another one?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 04:07:38 PM »

All I am saying is that I am very offended that Zeus made a thread whiching a Republican from georgia well, but never made a thread wishing the Democratic Senator of his homestate well.. it is strictly because Johnson is a Democrat. 

Considering that there already had been multiple threads made about Johnson's condition, why would he make another one?

He is never made any comment on Johnson's condition, nor did he ever wish him well.

He also never made any comment expressing any form of pleasure or happiness over Johnson's condition.  Given that he does not even have 150 posts after two years of membership, there have been an awful lot of things that he hasn't made a comment about.
Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 07:28:48 PM »

Bless him.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 07:41:49 PM »

He and his family are in my prayers.  This is such a shame.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2007, 07:47:45 PM »

It's a shame, although I do hope he somehow pulls through.
J.G.H.
Zeus
Rookie

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2007, 12:56:56 AM »

He is never made any comment on Johnson's condition, nor did he ever wish him well.

He also never made any comment expressing any form of pleasure or happiness over Johnson's condition.  Given that he does not even have 150 posts after two years of membership, there have been an awful lot of things that he hasn't made a comment about.

This seems to be a deleted post now, but that doesn't make it any less crass.  The Johnson illness was all over the news and here right away, whereas this seemed like a newsworthy item that hadn't been posted for several hours after it broke. You can bet if this would have been posted by someone else I wouldn't have said anything for this Republican either. Is it hard to believe that some people would rather observe than post much?

Or you can believe that all Republicans are rapid right-wing nutjobs that wish death on Democrats.

Jeez. So much for the welcoming environment around here. Maybe if people were nicer I would indeed post more.
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2007, 04:00:57 AM »
« Edited: February 09, 2007, 04:19:28 AM by socaldem »

I feel for Congressman Norwood and his family.  Though I disagree with him on most issues, he certainly is a stand-up guy. 

IMHO, his best contribution to the congress has been his vigorous efforts to get a compromise Patient's Bill of Rights through the House in the 1990s.  Unfortunately, his efforts antagonized and were blocked by the GOP leadership.

I hope the Congressman is well enough to survive a little longer in the comfort of the hospice but the reality is that he will not run again and may decide to give up his seat before the next election.

An open seat in this region would likely have been competitive if the last of the conservative rural Georgia Dems hadn't jumped ship.  Every single state senate seat in the district is held by a GOPer.  State Rep. Tom McCall would have been a good Dem recruit but he just jumped to the GOP.  Oh well.  Hopefully state Rep. Alan Powell runs.

If Dems can get someone like Heath Schuler or someone like Paul Hackett (though an anti-war message definitely won't resonate here) then they could have a race.  I doubt a Clarke County Dem could win, though.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2007, 12:35:44 PM »

Jeez. So much for the welcoming environment around here. Maybe if people were nicer I would indeed post more.

Amen, Zeus.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2007, 01:54:26 PM »

Please do not attribute the response of James S here to the rest of the forum community.  Appropriate action was taken in this case.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2007, 03:04:57 PM »

Rep. Norwood has died.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/02/13/norwood.obit.ap/index.html

My condolences to his family.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »