I just got the word...it will be John Edwards
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:21:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  I just got the word...it will be John Edwards
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: I just got the word...it will be John Edwards  (Read 6587 times)
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2004, 11:14:12 PM »
« edited: July 05, 2004, 11:42:07 PM by The Vorlon »

Has anyone yet been able to come up with one case in which Edwards represented someone who did not deserve to be represented?

Instead of just throwing out terms like "ambulance-chaser", "parasite" and such, it would be nice to actually have a specific case in which you feel Edwards's client was in the wrong.

I think Kerry could just as easily come up with an ad, Vorlon, that would show Edwards defending someone who was wronged by a corporation. Lawsuits can sometimes go too far, it's true, but people get ripped off just as much if not more by corporations; that's why we need lawsuits, as a check against unrestricted corporate power.

You are right that people hate getting ripped off, but corporations rip off as many people if not more than lawyers do. If anything, blame the juries, not the lawyers. Clients deserve represenatation if they feel they have a legitimate case, and it's not the lawyer's role to decide whether or not the case is just; that's up to judges and juries to decide.

This is politics.

While it is nice to have actual facts on your side... it's not mandatory Smiley

The Vice Presidency isn't worth a warm bucket of spit"

John Nance Garner - 32nd Vice President

Historical Note:

It is believed reporters may have "misspelled" the word "spit" when they ran this quote in the newspapers
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2004, 07:05:28 AM »

YAy! At least he did something right then...I suspected it for a long time though.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2004, 07:15:15 AM »

Good call Mark
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2004, 07:26:49 AM »

The Vice Presidency isn't worth a warm bucket of spit"

John Nance Garner - 32nd Vice President

Who the hell is John Garner???  *dies laughin*  VP's only become memorable if they become Presidents or do something really stupid . . . like attempting to spell the word "potatoE."  HAHAHA
MarkDel

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2004, 08:28:47 AM »

The reason the trial lawyer attack has never stuck is because we have never stuck to the attack in a national election.  You have to say it over and over to make an attack stick.

One other thing.  Florida just gave a solid defeat to Bill McBride, a trial lawyer, in the 2002 governor's race.  Edwards will have to campaign against the sullied image of lawyers in Florida if Kerry is to win there.

John Ford,

That is an EXCELLENT point. The trial lawyer label really did stick on Bill McBride here in Florida and he got killed by Jeb Bush in the general election. The trial lawyers have completely changed the Florida economy in recent years. Just getting homeowners insurance has become an incredibly expensive and difficult process, and the Workers Comp laws here are incredibly oppressive for small business, and since there is no real heavy industry in Florida, that small business community is huge.

You may be right, Edwards could be exploited in Florida, but overall, I think he's a good pick for Kerry.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2004, 08:29:57 AM »

Wow, this is the first time I've seen an "inside source" of somebody actually be right. Nice one, Mark.
MarkDel

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2004, 08:36:54 AM »
« Edited: July 06, 2004, 08:43:52 AM by MarkDel »

Al,

Thanks, I appreciate you saying that. At least a couple of you guys had the class to say something like that. I didn't have to share this information with this forum, in fact, I probably should not have done so in light of the fact that this person who works for the Democrats told me this in confidence last night.

I just thought it would be nice to let you guys know what was going to happen in advance, as I was virtually 100% certain that my information was correct. I have a lot of good contacts on both sides of the aisle from my days working in DC.

And now I can tell you guys the whole story. According to my friend on Capitol Hill, it's been Edwards for several weeks now. Apparently, the Democrats kept putting Vilsack's name out there as a smokescreen and also to get Iowa Dems excited about the race this fall as they view Iowa as one of the keys to the election. The talk about Gephardt was mostly done by Republicans who were secretly hoping that Gephardt would be the VP nominee because they felt he brought nothing to the ticket. The Republicans also had hoped that Kerry would pick Bob Graham or Bill Richardson, but apparently the Dems were too smart to fall into that trap. Kerry picked the one guy...Edwards...who frightens the RNC.
NHPolitico

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2004, 08:39:03 AM »

Props to you.
MarkDel

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2004, 08:39:57 AM »

Wow, this is the first time I've seen an "inside source" of somebody actually be right. Nice one, Mark.

Nation,

Thanks. Like I've been telling you guys, "once upon a time" I was actually a real person on Capitol Hill and I still have excellent contacts there even though I quit politics around a decade ago.
MarkDel

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2004, 08:45:04 AM »

NHPolitico,

Thanks, I just wish it had been Howard Dean or Bob Graham, or someone like that who we could exploit as "unbalanced" instead of merely "amoral" like Edwards.
millwx

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2004, 08:48:29 AM »

And know I can tell you guys the whole story. According to my friend on Capitol Hill, it's been Edwards for several weeks now. Apparently, the Democrats kept putting Vilsack's name out there as a smokescreen and also to get Iowa Dems excited about the race this fall as they view Iowa as one of the keys to the election. The talk about Gephardt was mostly done by Republicans who were secretly hoping that Gephardt would be the VP nominee because they felt he brought nothing to the ticket. The Republicans also had hoped that Kerry would pick Bob Graham or Bill Richardson, but apparently the Dems were too smart to fall into that trap. Kerry picked the one guy...Edwards...who frightens the RNC.
Mark,

I appreciate your straight-forwardness as well.  So many people (in general as well as in this forum) paint the entire nation with their own personal view.  Sure, it's sometimes difficult to be objective; but you're just being delusional if you act like your opinions/beliefs are those of everyone else.  In this case, many Dems act like Edwards is the second coming of Christ, while many Reps act like he's the pinnacle of of evil - a trial lawyer - that will sink the Dems like a stone in November.  The fact is, polls show Edwards to be popular.  He will help Kerry.  Period.  But he's also not the "second coming".  His lack of experience and the fact that he's merely the Veep candidate will seriously lessen his impact.

Not only did you make the call right, but you've made a "fair and balanced" interpretation.  Refreshing.  Thanks.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2004, 08:54:22 AM »

'Good job, Mark!'
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2004, 08:54:37 AM »
« Edited: July 06, 2004, 08:57:52 AM by The Vorlon »

Good call Smiley & Thanks!

I still think the GOP takes a run at Tort reform. Cheesy
MarkDel

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2004, 08:54:46 AM »

And know I can tell you guys the whole story. According to my friend on Capitol Hill, it's been Edwards for several weeks now. Apparently, the Democrats kept putting Vilsack's name out there as a smokescreen and also to get Iowa Dems excited about the race this fall as they view Iowa as one of the keys to the election. The talk about Gephardt was mostly done by Republicans who were secretly hoping that Gephardt would be the VP nominee because they felt he brought nothing to the ticket. The Republicans also had hoped that Kerry would pick Bob Graham or Bill Richardson, but apparently the Dems were too smart to fall into that trap. Kerry picked the one guy...Edwards...who frightens the RNC.
Mark,

I appreciate your straight-forwardness as well.  So many people (in general as well as in this forum) paint the entire nation with their own personal view.  Sure, it's sometimes difficult to be objective; but you're just being delusional if you act like your opinions/beliefs are those of everyone else.  In this case, many Dems act like Edwards is the second coming of Christ, while many Reps act like he's the pinnacle of of evil - a trial lawyer - that will sink the Dems like a stone in November.  The fact is, polls show Edwards to be popular.  He will help Kerry.  Period.  But he's also not the "second coming".  His lack of experience and the fact that he's merely the Veep candidate will seriously lessen his impact.

Not only did you make the call right, but you've made a "fair and balanced" interpretation.  Refreshing.  Thanks.

Millwx,

Thanks a lot. I know this is going to sound ludicrous in light of some of the partisan positions I take, but I'm ALWAYS objective. I reach every conclusion only after looking at an issue from all sides...most posters here, mostly those on the left, will repeatedly call me non-objective because I almost always side with the right wing, but they are not looking at things deeply enough. My ANALYSIS has been objective even if my conclusion takes one side or another...and that seems to be the mistake so many posters here make in looking at other people's opinions.

The bottom line is this...I think there is no denying that Edwards helps Kerry more than any other VP candidate at this point...and the Republican Party secretly shares my view.

But again, thanks for your comments, they are sincerely appreciated.
MarkDel

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2004, 08:56:22 AM »

Vorlon,

I know that you ALSO have excellent contacts. Now that this is over, did you know last night? Tell the truth...LOL
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2004, 08:59:21 AM »
« Edited: July 06, 2004, 09:00:49 AM by The Vorlon »

Vorlon,

I know that you ALSO have excellent contacts. Now that this is over, did you know last night? Tell the truth...LOL

Discretion is the beter part of valor Wink

Most of my contacts are GOP, so no I didn't "know" for sure, but I had "heard".
MarkDel

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2004, 09:12:37 AM »

Vorlon,

Discretion is the beter part of valor Wink

Most of my contacts are GOP, so no I didn't "know" for sure, but I had "heard".

Vorlon,

Yeah, most of my contacts are GOP as well, but I do have some friends on the other side from my days working there...comes in handy.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2004, 11:12:59 AM »

Congrats, Mark! *worship worship worship*
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2004, 11:25:30 AM »

Lets' hope Edwards funny money questions can be exposed by the GOP. I hope Kerry doesnt die if he gets elected. This guy is so green.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2004, 11:26:44 AM »

Thanks Mark!...you were way ahead of everyone on this.   But I'm sure you can understand why some people are skeptical...there's just so much bad information on the internet.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2004, 11:32:54 AM »

Yeah, most of my contacts are GOP as well, but I do have some friends on the other side from my days working there...comes in handy.

MarkDel...

Unrelated to this thread... but....

Do you know and/or have access to any good quilitty polling information from any/all of the following states:

Wisconsin
Iowa
Washington State
Oregon
North Carolina

I know a ton of people at the "grunt" level, ie the folks actually running a lot of the tracking polls for the battle ground states, but nobody waaaay up the proverbial food chain who gets all the information, so there are some real gaps in the states I see.

I have great access to most of the states that matter, just not the 5 states I have listed above.

Any assistance would be really appreciated Smiley

struct310
Rookie

« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2004, 01:14:10 PM »

John Edwards is another Bill Clinton.  We'll find a scandal on him soon enough and hopefully something way more corrupt than using a cigar for sexual purposes.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2004, 01:17:54 PM »

John Edwards is another Bill Clinton.  We'll find a scandal on him soon enough and hopefully something way more corrupt than using a cigar for sexual purposes.

I hope not.  I like Edwards.  Just feel sorry that he's stuck on the ticket with Kerry.  An Edwards boost, however, cannot counter the Kerry detractions.  

Kerry = Gore = Dull

Can we look forward to Kerry ranting at a Moveon.org seminar in 2008 like Gore does these days?  "They lied to us, They lied to us."  HAHAHA
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2004, 01:22:59 PM »

Fantastic call Mark!
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2004, 01:23:17 PM »
« Edited: July 06, 2004, 01:23:48 PM by Gov. NickG »

This is doubtful....Clinton was beset by scandal rumors even while he was running for Governor, so its not surprising that some of those rumors turned out to be true.

No one has ever mentioned a scandal with regards to Edwards.   If they exisited, I think there would have at least been rumors during his Senate or Presidential campaigns...at least something on Drudge or Republican boards.  

Instead his reputation is spotless...meaning that perhaps, so it his real life.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies