The Hill: Ciresi might give Franken some company
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:47:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Hill: Ciresi might give Franken some company
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Hill: Ciresi might give Franken some company  (Read 1986 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 09, 2007, 11:20:29 AM »

By Aaron Blake

Attorney Mike Ciresi will announce whether he will run against Sen. Norm Coleman (R-Minn.) next week, according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

The Democrat ran in a primary against former Sen. Mark Dayton (D) when Dayton was first elected in 2000, and Ciresi mulled a 2006 bid in a primary that included now-Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D).

In 2006, he waited until February of that election year to announce his decision. Next week’s statement will come nearly a full year earlier in the cycle.

Ciresi spent $5 million in the 2000 primary and has substantial private reserves from working on a $6 billion tobacco lawsuit. He took 22 percent to Dayton’s 41 percent.

Comedian and liberal talk show host Al Franken has not confirmed reports that he will enter the race. He has said he will make an announcement Wednesday, during his final show as an Air America radio host.

The Star Tribune also notes that state Rep. Joe Atkins is seriously considering a run and says Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak has all but ruled out a bid.

http://www.hillnews.com/thehill/export/TheHill/News/Campaign/020907_ciresi.html
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 11:58:00 AM »

Good.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 12:04:19 PM »

says Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak has all but ruled out a bid.

Yes!

Smiley
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 12:58:13 PM »

Rybak probably has his eye on the Governor's mansion in 2010.
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 05:55:24 PM »

Now there is one phrase that I do not understand.  Most people understand it to be "R.T. Rybak has pretty much ruled out a bid".

Literally, however, it seems to mean R.T. Rybak has done lots and lots and lots of things, but he has not ruled out a bid.

Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 06:05:01 PM »

I am always surprised that the DFL Party always seems to put up quite, not lackluster, but not the most well-known candidates.  I mean Amy Klobuchar was hardly the most obvious choice was she; despite the fact that she won 58%-38%.  But in this case why can't they get Betty McCollum to run?  Surely she wants to and would be a strong candidate?  But at the moment we are left with a comedian from a bankrupt radio station and an attorney.  Hardly the greatest candidates - I am just surprised better known Democrats aren't lining up to take on Coleman.  But they didn't in 2006 either...just weird.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 06:07:22 PM »

I think it will end up a fairly crowded primary. Coleman is quite vulnerable.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 10:15:09 PM »

I am always surprised that the DFL Party always seems to put up quite, not lackluster, but not the most well-known candidates.  I mean Amy Klobuchar was hardly the most obvious choice was she; despite the fact that she won 58%-38%.  But in this case why can't they get Betty McCollum to run?  Surely she wants to and would be a strong candidate?  But at the moment we are left with a comedian from a bankrupt radio station and an attorney.  Hardly the greatest candidates - I am just surprised better known Democrats aren't lining up to take on Coleman.  But they didn't in 2006 either...just weird.

McCollum isn't running because she got a really good committee assignment.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 03:25:13 AM »

Franken will get tons of press and Hollywood/New York support, but he won't win the primary. Minnesota voters will resent the fact that he left decades ago to find fame and fortune in New York and LA and then only returned home to run for senate. This won't play well with MN voters, including democratic primary voters.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2007, 10:41:19 AM »

What about Dean Johnson?  Also, Ciresi does have a real base there, I think.  Does anyone know why?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2007, 01:24:51 PM »

He's talked about a run but hasn't made any movements toward it.

Also, Ciresi does have a real base there, I think.  Does anyone know why?

Because he's never held elected office. Not really a big liability though, the same was pretty much true of Mark Dayton (he HAD been elected to a statewide office before, but it was 10 years earlier and no one remembered him)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2007, 04:30:22 PM »

What I ment was, does he have a solid base of support and if so where?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2007, 04:34:17 PM »

Well obviously, as all Democrats in Minnesota do.

Here's the counties he did better than his state average in the 2000 primary:

Ramsey
Jackson
Hennepin
Winona
Rock
Rice
Nicollet
Dakota
Washington
Blue Earth
Houston
Martin
Kandiyohi
Lincoln
Pipestone

Lots of universities. I suppose that's noteworthy.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 10:36:40 PM »

Ciresi's in: http://www.startribune.com/587/story/995679.html

He says he'll abide by the convention endorsement, which I hope all candidates do, because I don't want a really crowded primary allowing Franken to slip by with a plurality.

Klobuchar wasn't that much of a dark horse btw. She already had statewide and some national recognition (even spoke at the DNC) and was already planning a statewide run (for Attorney General). I even heard her name thrown around before Dayton bowed out (there had been speculation he might retire, though most were surprised when he actually did)
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 11:00:07 PM »

I'm very much looking forward to this race. I expect more Democrat to jump in (possibly St. Paul mayor Chris Coleman) as well
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2007, 11:03:09 PM »
« Edited: February 12, 2007, 11:05:49 PM by Jesus Wasn't Straightedge And Neither Am I. Mohammed and Joseph Smith Were Though. »

I'm very much looking forward to this race. I expect more Democrat to jump in (possibly St. Paul mayor Chris Coleman) as well

Coleman hasn't even served a full term as mayor yet, so don't count on it. He'd be interesting though due to the name confusion and also a St. Paul mayor.

I don't like him though, he's no Rybak. Certainly infinitely preferable to the two disasters who preceded him though but if a better Democrat takes him on in 2009, I hope he loses.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2007, 07:23:13 AM »

I think Ciresi would be a better candidate at this juncture.  Anyway, it seems like the Minnesota DFL Party has a choice between two serious candidates. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2007, 11:19:55 AM »

Everyone gets to speak at the convetion. Allyson Schwartz isn't nationally known because of her two minute speech at whatever time at night it was televised.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2007, 11:20:54 AM »

Coleman vs. Coleman...what fun.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2007, 12:17:12 PM »

Everyone gets to speak at the convetion. Allyson Schwartz isn't nationally known because of her two minute speech at whatever time at night it was televised.

How many county attorneys did so though?

Fact is, Klobuchar was already a fairly well known figure statewide. Her last name helped a ton too since her father was a popular long time sports columnist for the StarTrib (probably the reason she kept her maiden name)
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2007, 10:25:16 PM »

I hope Mike Hatch jumps back in.  Claire McCaskill lost a race for governor and still managed to become a senator.  I think it could be the same case here.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2007, 12:36:28 AM »

I hope Mike Hatch jumps back in.  Claire McCaskill lost a race for governor and still managed to become a senator.  I think it could be the same case here.

I was thinking that too, but I realized the main reason Hatch lost is he is simply not a likeable person. Snowguy summed it up well as "an asshole fighting for the right stuff." I wanted him as a non-Franken candidate, but Ciresi already fits the bill.

Besides, Hatch got one of his proteges elected as the new AG, and he's in her staff and spoke longer than she did at her inaguration. He's basically still the de facto AG, and seems to be happy with it. He's not one out of 100 guy either.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2007, 12:02:49 PM »

To be honest, I think Franken would be a good senator.  The man practically worships Paul Wellstone and I think this country needs more Wellstone style politicians.

He doesn't seem to be the type of guy looking for a power grab, which is incredibly desirable in a candidate.

I get this notion of "i'm supporting someone else because Franken is the obvious choice, and I don't want to be obvious"... this anti-quirky sentiment that has overrun the state since Jesse Ventura was elected.

Then again, I don't know much about Ciresi  and it would be a tough call between Franken and Dean Johnson if he ran.  I really like Dean Johnson.  He's be like the anti-Coleman.  A former Republican Lutheran minister turned Democrat when his old party abandoned him for a dangerous run to the right.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2007, 12:50:47 PM »

Johnson sounds good.  Like I have said before, I am always slightly surprised; Minnesota is a Democratic state, this election is a Presidential year and a chance to become a Senator in a relatively easy election contest - why are there not more people running of better quality?  It just seems odd.  To be honest I do worry about Franken; we know that Coleman is a clever politician - who would have thought he could beat Walter Mondale?  I think Franken could easily put his footh in it and sabotage his campaign.  Ciresi and Johnson sound better. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies