UK formula for determining % of seats in Commons vs. % of votes.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:24:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK formula for determining % of seats in Commons vs. % of votes.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK formula for determining % of seats in Commons vs. % of votes.  (Read 1481 times)
Jacobtm

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 13, 2007, 04:57:02 AM »

In the UK, what is the formula used to decide what % of seats a party gets in the House of Commons vs. the % of the popular vote they get?

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 04:57:28 AM »

The UK uses fptp seats, just like the US.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 04:57:34 AM »

There isn't one; we still use FPTP.
Jacobtm

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 05:39:32 AM »

Wow, I knew that at some point too... I should just consider everything my Polisci teacher says as wrong.

According to him, the UK uses PR, France is on its third Republic, and the U.S. House of Representatives has 535 members...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 06:34:38 AM »

Wow, I knew that at some point too... I should just consider everything my Polisci teacher says as wrong.

According to him, the UK uses PR, France is on its third Republic, and the U.S. House of Representatives has 535 members...
Grin

The devolved Scottish and Welsh parliaments Scottish Parliament and Welsh Assembly use a modified form of PR, though.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 08:23:28 AM »

You can do a rough and I mean very rough estimate if you want to calculate what would happen is a parties share went up or down. Take the raw number of votes for each party and then divide by the number of seats won. That shows how many 'votes' it theoretically takes to win a seat (you can also divide the % by number of seats but thats trickier) and you can use that as a rough guide to guessing what would happen if Labour dropped 1% and the Tories rose 1% for example.

Or use a swingometer.

Truth be told it's hard to predict; even in Scotland and Wales
Harry Hayfield
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 05:41:58 PM »

Did somebody say "swingometer"?

If you can wait a couple of days until I get that book with all the notionals for 2005 (and then a week whilst I do the number crunching) I can get you a swingometer for 2007/2009/2010 by the end of February (and yes, I can also do one for the National Assembly as well!, your choice though. Plaid / Lab or Con / Lab)?
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 08:08:20 PM »

If your PoliSci teacher believes that the UK uses some sort of PR for parliamentary elections, that the US has 535 seats in the House, and that France is in the Third Republic he really shouldn't be teaching.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 08:10:22 PM »

If your PoliSci teacher believes that the UK uses some sort of PR for parliamentary elections, that the US has 535 seats in the House, and that France is in the Third Republic he really shouldn't be teaching.

I'm sure there are worse teachers out there.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 08:30:41 PM »

Oh I'm sure I'm just stating my opinion. You need to know some basic facts in order to teach anything, especially in a field like polisci. I don't think this is really excusable at the college level.
Jacobtm

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 10:45:20 PM »

Oh I'm sure I'm just stating my opinion. You need to know some basic facts in order to teach anything, especially in a field like polisci. I don't think this is really excusable at the college level.
It really is inexcusable. No one's perfect, but in 1 hour, when I can correct him on 3 things, it's quite bad.

But apparently he does tons of research on Islam in Africa, so I guess the University doesn't mind his lack of knowledge in other areas...
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 10:59:26 PM »
« Edited: February 13, 2007, 11:07:38 PM by jfern »

Oh, I thought we were talking about grade school, since the word teacher was used instead of the word professor. That is pretty bad.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2007, 01:14:53 AM »

I've often wondered if many forumites knew enough to be a college professor. Now I guess that's the case.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2007, 08:08:56 AM »

I've often wondered if many forumites knew enough to be a college professor. Now I guess that's the case.
I for one know that I know too much to be a college professor. Grin
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies