CT Sec. of State election town result notes (for 2006)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:57:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CT Sec. of State election town result notes (for 2006)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CT Sec. of State election town result notes (for 2006)  (Read 2395 times)
RBH

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 14, 2007, 03:58:14 PM »

Cities lost by Bysiewicz while she was on her way to a 70/26 victory:

Darien (61/36 Rep)
Greenwich (49/47 Rep)
New Canaan (60/36 Rep)
Wilton (49/47 Rep)

And that's all.

In the 146 cities outside of Fairfield county, Bysiewicz got over 60% in 141 cities, with her worst showing outside of Fairfield being 57% in Bridgewater

Overall, Bysiewicz won 165 of 169 Connecticut cities.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 04:57:09 PM »

THose two (New Canaan and Aryan Darien) are quite the outliers...
RBH

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 05:03:38 PM »

Results from Darien, 2006

Governor: 6299-1344 Rell (50 other)
Senate: Lieberman 4723, Lamont 2225, Schlesinger 858, Other 34
Attorney General: 3854-3381 Blumenthal (79 other) [hey, they went for a Dem!]

Result from New Canaan, 2006

Governor: 6145-1601 Rell (63 other)
Senate: Lieberman 4894, Lamont 2318, Schlesinger 717, Other 36
Attorney General: 3746-3616 Farr (97 other)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 05:14:40 PM »

Darien:

The racial makeup of the town was 95.97% White, 0.45% African American, 0.04% Native American, 2.42% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.30% from other races, and 0.80% from two or more races.

New Canaan:

The racial makeup of the town was 95.27% White, 1.04% African American, 0.04% Native American, 2.29% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.38% from other races, and 0.98% from two or more races.

WASP alert.

(I can say it; I'm entirely of pre-revolutionary ancestry, too.)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 09:07:05 PM »

Wow, Greenwich is pretty damn polarized if that's the case. It voted only 55% for Shays and Bush barely broke 50% there.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 08:12:45 AM »

Representin the Fairfield County! W3RD UP!

What can we say, we like our incumbents.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 11:43:05 AM »

Wow, Greenwich is pretty damn polarized if that's the case. It voted only 55% for Shays and Bush barely broke 50% there.

Nay, it is not polarized. It is the only city in New England to vote for Bush both times. (Manchester, NH voted for Gore in 2000 and for Bush in 2004, despite the state as a whole switching the other way.) It probably saved Shays last year, even some of the suburban towns voted for Farrell.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 11:45:01 AM »

Thing is, Abbate did almost as well as Shays or Bush. He didn't elsewhere. And he's from New Haven. (I checked that.) That does look as if it has lots of partisan Reps and lots (but fewer) of partisan dems.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 01:01:29 PM »

Nay, it is not polarized. It is the only city in New England to vote for Bush both times. (Manchester, NH voted for Gore in 2000 and for Bush in 2004, despite the state as a whole switching the other way.) It probably saved Shays last year, even some of the suburban towns voted for Farrell.

No, that's the definition of polarized. Bush didn't win it by that much, and even Shays didn't either. Yet it still voted for a candidate who got crushed in a landslide. Typically such places vote for winning Republicans like Shays well over 60%, but when they don't, that just means it's extremely polarized with tons of staunch partisans on both sides. Much like Hamilton County in Ohio, Bush didn't win it by that much, but Blackwell still won it despite the very well deserved crushing he received.

And it's not the only such place in New England. I found a lot comparing the Murphy/Johnson results to Kerry/Bush and Kerry/Gore since I was surprised someone so liberal beat such a longterm moderate incumbent by such a wide margin. Turns out Murphy did about as well as Gore did in the district in 2000, so he he simply held the Democratic voters who in the past crossed over to vote for Johnson and won back the Democratic voters who swung to Bush in the 9/11 effect. His old State Senate seat was surprisingly Republican, Wolcott voted for Bush both times, by a fairly wide margin, (Murphy still won it though). Torrington also voted for Bush both times and for Murphy. Murphy is just a really good candidate, which explains who he held such a Republican district in the first place. I hope he gets himself the governorship or a Senate seat so he can run for President somewhere down the road.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 05:31:28 PM »

CT is an awful state
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 06:12:38 PM »

I take offense to that. 
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 05:43:26 AM »

This is an accurate statement.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 05:46:22 AM »

It's kind of odd how certain Republicans can get pulverized while doing unusually well in extremely affluent areas.  I've never heard an explanation of this, but it's not unique to Connecticut.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 05:03:15 AM »

I know, our governor sucks. I wish we had a better one like Spitzer or Patrick. I'm kind of annoyed that Corzine left the Senate and almost let Keane win (due to Menendez being a crappy choice) so he's not as good as the other two.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 09:40:59 AM »

I know, our governor sucks. I wish we had a better one like Spitzer or Patrick. I'm kind of annoyed that Corzine left the Senate and almost let Keane win (due to Menendez being a crappy choice) so he's not as good as the other two.

So you're the statistically insignificant blip that keeps showing up in those polls!

Regarding Corzine, I've been pleasantly surprised by his tenure as Governor.  I voted (enthusiastically) for Bob Franks in 2000, and would have voted (embarassedly) for Doug Forrester in 2005 had I still been registered there, but Corzine has really done a good job for the state (other than the Menendez appointment).  He's been unafraid to make some very unpopular decisions that will benefit the state in the long run, and I respect the hell out of him for it.

I sure don't agree with him 100% of the time, but I'd support him in 2009 if I had the chance.  (Unless he runs against that loveable scamp Bill Baroni, whom people seem to think I look like.  Whee!)
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2007, 10:31:58 AM »

So you're the statistically insignificant blip that keeps showing up in those polls!

Regarding Corzine, I've been pleasantly surprised by his tenure as Governor.  I voted (enthusiastically) for Bob Franks in 2000, and would have voted (embarassedly) for Doug Forrester in 2005 had I still been registered there, but Corzine has really done a good job for the state (other than the Menendez appointment).  He's been unafraid to make some very unpopular decisions that will benefit the state in the long run, and I respect the hell out of him for it.

I sure don't agree with him 100% of the time, but I'd support him in 2009 if I had the chance.  (Unless he runs against that loveable scamp Bill Baroni, whom people seem to think I look like.  Whee!)

A) I was being sarcastic

B) I like what Corzine has done too. But my point is that he never should have ran for Governor in the first place. He only left the Senate because at the time, it seemed like the Republicans were going to control it for the foreseeable future. I learned this from a New York Times article shortly after the '04 election that said many Senate Dems such as Corzine and Dodd were getting tired and bored with being in the minority for so long. Corzine left b/c he wanted more power, hardly an admirable quality.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2007, 11:06:03 AM »

Corzine became Governor because it's a better stepping stone to the Presidency.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2007, 12:57:05 PM »

And I laugh at Corzine for having Presidential ambitions.

I just wish Codey had continued to be governor. He could have beaten Corzine in the primary.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2007, 01:00:19 PM »

I just wish Codey had continued to be governor. He could have beaten Corzine in the primary.
Codey was a pretty good governor.

What is it with New Jersey's acting governors being better than most of their regular governors (Codey, DiFrancesco[sp?])?

The lack of desire to be a political force and the desire to get things done?
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2007, 01:10:35 PM »

I don't get why New Jersey will elect someone they don't really like.  Last I saw, Lautenberg was sitting around 40% approvals, while Mendez was at like 48%

And Corzine was about 45% or so.

It's almost like they will vote for a terrible democrat, just to keep a republican out.  Oh well, it aint my state.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2007, 02:39:34 PM »

I don't get why New Jersey will elect someone they don't really like.  Last I saw, Lautenberg was sitting around 40% approvals, while Mendez was at like 48%

It's almost like they will vote for a terrible democrat, just to keep a republican out.  Oh well, it aint my state.

Its not like the Republicans have run great candidates themselves...Doug Forrester, Bret Schundler, Tom Kean Jr...Political-All Stars.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2007, 07:40:09 PM »
« Edited: February 22, 2007, 07:43:38 PM by Verily »

The Republicans tend to be even more unpopular than the Democrats. Plus, New Jersey's like the opposite of North Dakota - terrible approval ratings for everyone instead of stellar approval ratings for everyone, but it doesn't say much about the actual opinions on the ground.

Codey was a pretty good governor.

What is it with New Jersey's acting governors being better than most of their regular governors (Codey, DiFrancesco[sp?])?

The lack of desire to be a political force and the desire to get things done?

I dunno, DiFrancesco was pretty lackluster. I liked Whitman better even though she was totally clueless. She did good environmental work. We've had more Acting Governors than Governors lately anyway.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2007, 05:20:06 AM »

Am I the only one who finds humor in someone from New Jersey calling another state awful?
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2007, 07:17:11 AM »

^No.. I just don't think my sarcasam comes across well over the internet!
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2007, 07:37:48 AM »

Boy, do I know that feeling.

And I miss Fairfield Co.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies