Rothenberg: Democrats could get to 60 Senate seats by 2010
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:06:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Rothenberg: Democrats could get to 60 Senate seats by 2010
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Rothenberg: Democrats could get to 60 Senate seats by 2010  (Read 9919 times)
Deano963

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2007, 08:43:38 PM »

I see the Republicans making two net gains, and the democrats making one net gain for a 50-50 Senate...with a Republican Vice President breaking the tie. Then again...it could be a Democrat Vice President...who knows.

Just which two seats do you see flipping to the Republicans? Louisiana is one, and only deluded republican hacks seriously believe that South Dakota or Montana will be seriously contested, so what is your second seat that you are so sure is going to flip?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2007, 08:57:20 PM »

I see the Republicans making two net gains, and the democrats making one net gain for a 50-50 Senate...with a Republican Vice President breaking the tie. Then again...it could be a Democrat Vice President...who knows.

Just which two seats do you see flipping to the Republicans? Louisiana is one, and only deluded republican hacks seriously believe that South Dakota or Montana will be seriously contested, so what is your second seat that you are so sure is going to flip?

See part in bold and who you are replying to. There's your answer.

Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2007, 10:52:10 PM »

See part in bold and who you are replying to. There's your answer.

This coming from the guy who's supporting the guy who's presidential banner looks like a fooking fruit loop.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2007, 05:03:35 AM »

In Virginia you got Leslie Byrne, but I'm still deciding on a liberal candidate for North Carolina (maybe Harvey Gantt, especially without Jesse Helms in the picture?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE nominate Harvey Gantt a third time.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2007, 12:16:19 PM »

Maine, Minn, and NH all have a good shot to flip.  I love the GOPers who think that Collins = Snowe... =)

Take a look at Collins' ratings. She isn't that far from Snowe in terms of popularity. You will not beat Susan Collins.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2007, 02:59:12 PM »

Maine, Minn, and NH all have a good shot to flip.  I love the GOPers who think that Collins = Snowe... =)

Take a look at Collins' ratings. She isn't that far from Snowe in terms of popularity. You will not beat Susan Collins.

Take a look at Max Baucus' ratings.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2007, 04:50:26 PM »

I have never really believed that Baucus was vulnerable/that the GOP had a good chance at a pickup so thanks for providing us with yet another useless post.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2007, 05:07:17 PM »

I think the Maine Senate race will be interesting.  There is no other way to describe it; any race is interesting obviously but I really think it could surprise a lot of people.  Regardless of her popularity, Collins has never won big margins.  Look at 2002; a good Republican year, popular as ever and facing an unknown opponent.  She won with less than 60% of the vote.  I think at the very least Allen will reduce her from 58%-42%.  Also, Maine has a history of taking down popular Senators - Margaret Chase Smith in 1972 is an example.  Her opponent went down heavily in 1978 as well.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2007, 05:15:25 PM »

Regardless of her popularity, Collins has never won big margins.  Look at 2002; a good Republican year, popular as ever and facing an unknown opponent.  She won with less than 60% of the vote.

Actually her opponent was the former Majority Leader of the Maine State Senate.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2007, 05:24:22 PM »

Regardless of her popularity, Collins has never won big margins.  Look at 2002; a good Republican year, popular as ever and facing an unknown opponent.  She won with less than 60% of the vote.

Actually her opponent was the former Majority Leader of the Maine State Senate.

Fine.  But Allen is more of a top-tier candidate than Pingree was. 
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2007, 05:25:28 PM »

I have never really believed that Baucus was vulnerable/that the GOP had a good chance at a pickup so thanks for providing us with yet another useless post.

Well maybe not you but other hacks have claimed so.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2007, 06:19:59 PM »

I think the Maine Senate race will be interesting.  There is no other way to describe it; any race is interesting obviously but I really think it could surprise a lot of people.  Regardless of her popularity, Collins has never won big margins.  Look at 2002; a good Republican year, popular as ever and facing an unknown opponent.  She won with less than 60% of the vote.  I think at the very least Allen will reduce her from 58%-42%.  Also, Maine has a history of taking down popular Senators - Margaret Chase Smith in 1972 is an example.  Her opponent went down heavily in 1978 as well.

I'd vote Allen.  No surprise there.

But if Collins won, I wouldn't be terribly disappointed.  She's a decent Senator.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2007, 09:43:40 PM »

HA!  You're completely deluded and obviously know nothing about Virginia politics if you think Leslie Byrne will win statewide. 

She came within 1.5% of winning statewide in 2005. Just sayin'..........

Yeah, only because of Tim Kaine's coattails/reaction against Jerry Kilgore.  Just sayin'
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2007, 10:09:32 PM »

Don't respond to my post with that comment without stating that it was directed towards others.
Soaring Eagle

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2007, 10:14:29 PM »

Yes, you have.

I doubt Rehberg could beat Baucus. He already tried and failed in 1996.
It was a close one (49% - 45%). I think Denny can make up those four points over the twelve years.  Smiley
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2007, 10:18:22 PM »

Yes, you have.

I doubt Rehberg could beat Baucus. He already tried and failed in 1996.
It was a close one (49% - 45%). I think Denny can make up those four points over the twelve years.  Smiley

Well, you probably won't believe me but it was said in jest. I usually wouldn't put the  Smiley  if I was trying to make a serious point about a candidate's chances.

The truth, whether I was serious about that previous post or not, is that Baucus won't be vulnerable. Could it be another close one because of the Presidential election and a possible Rehberg candidacy? Yes, I believe so. He won't lose though.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2007, 11:12:10 PM »

Don't respond to my post with that comment without stating that it was directed towards others.

Haven't you said you think Johnson could lose to Rounds though? Johnson's ratings are even better than both Collins and Baucus's.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2007, 11:56:16 PM »

Haven't you said you think Johnson could lose to Rounds though? Johnson's ratings are even better than both Collins and Baucus's.

At this point, no one is beating Johnson. In the past, I probably did say that and I still believe it (if Johnson was healthy again and the sympathy factor wasn't involved). Johnson's ratings were probably high in 2002 when he faced Thune and look how that ended. Add in the Presidential election and Johnson could have lost the seat.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2007, 11:58:09 PM »

Yeah, but Thune was also much more popular than anyone else the SD GOP has now.

So you admit now the only chance the GOP has a good chance of picking up is Louisiana?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2007, 12:02:53 AM »

More popular than Rounds? I doubt it.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Unless things change elsewhere, yes. I have said that as of now, 2008 does not look good for the GOP in the Senate.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2007, 12:08:08 AM »

Thune won with over 74% in 2000, the last election before he ran for Senate. Rounds won with 61.69%.

I'm surprised Thune did get so popular. He doesn't fit the state that well.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2007, 03:05:34 AM »

Regardless of her popularity, Collins has never won big margins.

Right, 58-42 is picayune.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2007, 05:34:32 AM »

Thune won with over 74% in 2000, the last election before he ran for Senate. Rounds won with 61.69%.

I'm surprised Thune did get so popular. He doesn't fit the state that well.

That doesn't necessarily mean he was most popular.  Obviously, there are other variables involved.  Most popular can easily be confused with least offensive.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2007, 10:08:57 AM »

Did Thune have an opponent that year, or just an "opponent"?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2007, 10:41:41 AM »

I don't know anything about his opponent. But Rounds had a joke opponent too.

Regardless of her popularity, Collins has never won big margins.

Right, 58-42 is picayune.

DeWine won by a bigger margin in 2000. Not that I think Collins is all that vulnerable, just saying. She has a better chance of losing than Mark Kennedy every did of winning, let's put it that way Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies