USAToday: Tests confirm H5N1 bird flu strain in 2 suburban Moscow districts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:02:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  USAToday: Tests confirm H5N1 bird flu strain in 2 suburban Moscow districts
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: USAToday: Tests confirm H5N1 bird flu strain in 2 suburban Moscow districts  (Read 954 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 17, 2007, 10:15:50 PM »

Tests confirm H5N1 bird flu strain in 2 suburban Moscow districts

By Ivan Sekretarev, AP
A veterinary official dressed in a protective suit checks a pump while his car blocks the access to a house where bird flu killed some domestic birds, in the village of Pavlovskoye 12 miles south of Moscow.

MOSCOW (AP) — Tests have confirmed the presence of the H5N1 bird flu strain in poultry found dead in two suburban Moscow districts, an agriculture official said Saturday, in the first such outbreak to be recorded so close to the Russian capital.
Alexei Alexeyenko, a spokesman for the federal agricultural oversight agency, told The Associated Press that laboratory results showed the strain of the virus in the Odintsovo and Domodedovo districts, west and south of Moscow respectively, where two dozen birds died this week.

He said officials were still awaiting results on tests taken in a third suburban district, Podolsk, where 44 birds were reported to have died on Saturday.

Russia had its first reported cases of the H5N1 strain in Siberia in 2005, and outbreaks have since occurred farther west, but mostly in southern areas distant from the capital.

No human cases of bird flu have been reported in Russia.

Since it began ravaging Asian poultry farms in late 2003, the H5N1 strain has killed at least 167 people worldwide, according to the World Health Organization.

Though it remains difficult for humans to catch, health authorities across the globe are monitoring the H5N1 strain out of concern it could mutate into a form that easily spreads from person to person and spark a pandemic.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 10:28:45 PM »

Lol. No wonder my campus has all the 'if you think you have the flu, stay home" placards pasted onto walls.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 10:38:23 PM »

Lol. No wonder my campus has all the 'if you think you have the flu, stay home" placards pasted onto walls.

Just curious, what college are you going to?
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 10:40:36 PM »

Moscow University, clearly.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 10:46:21 PM »

Oswego State

Moscow University, clearly.
Nyet Comrade! I am tryink to pose as amerikan student and you ruin my plan!? Off to Siberia with you
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 01:34:47 AM »

The thing about the H5N1 strain is that scientists have determined that the exact thing that makes it so fatal to humans is also the thing that makes human-to-human transmission so difficult: namely, that the virus locates itself right at the base of your lungs.  For it to gain the potential to become a worldwide pandemic, it would need to mutate in such a way that it somehow is better able to be transmitted between humans, yet also stay as fatal as it is right now, which seems unlikely.

I wouldn't get too worried about the bird flu at this point in time.  They'll let you know if you should.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 01:42:07 PM »

The thing about the H5N1 strain is that scientists have determined that the exact thing that makes it so fatal to humans is also the thing that makes human-to-human transmission so difficult: namely, that the virus locates itself right at the base of your lungs.  For it to gain the potential to become a worldwide pandemic, it would need to mutate in such a way that it somehow is better able to be transmitted between humans, yet also stay as fatal as it is right now, which seems unlikely.

Correct! I was wondering if I was the only one who knew this. Cheesy
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies