NC GOV 2024 - Stein (D) vs Robinson (R)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:27:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NC GOV 2024 - Stein (D) vs Robinson (R)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14
Author Topic: NC GOV 2024 - Stein (D) vs Robinson (R)  (Read 19329 times)
Spectator
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: March 15, 2024, 10:22:09 AM »

I know people here are skeptical since NC isn’t a very elastic state, but I do think Robinson and Morrow have potential to run well behind Trump here. Public executions/lynchings? The Republican AG nominee in Nevada said similar things about executing people and she ended up losing by the biggest margin of any candidate if either party statewide in 2022. EW Jackson lost by a landslide in 2013 for Virginia LG when his ticket mates only narrowly lost.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #301 on: March 15, 2024, 10:49:35 AM »

I know people here are skeptical since NC isn’t a very elastic state, but I do think Robinson and Morrow have potential to run well behind Trump here. Public executions/lynchings? The Republican AG nominee in Nevada said similar things about executing people and she ended up losing by the biggest margin of any candidate if either party statewide in 2022. EW Jackson lost by a landslide in 2013 for Virginia LG when his ticket mates only narrowly lost.

The difference is we accept a lot more BS since 2013. In 2014 Matt Walsh had to drop out of MT-Sen for plagiarizing a research paper, something that seems laughably small today.

Also Ford had several republicans endorse him in his re-election against Chattah. Robinson has the party behind him.
Fancyarcher
United States
« Reply #302 on: March 15, 2024, 10:56:27 AM »

The thing is though, both of those were in midterms / off years. This is the first time we've had such a horrible candidate in a swing-ish state in a presidential year, and turnout is going to be much higher. It's hard to see Robinson running behind Trump that much, unless he somehow collapses in North Carolina (very, very unlikely).
Spectator
United States

« Reply #303 on: March 15, 2024, 10:59:57 AM »

The thing is though, both of those were in midterms. This is the first time we've had such a horrible candidate in a swing-ish state in a presidential year, and turnout is going to be much higher. It's hard to see Robinson running behind Trump that much, unless he somehow collapses in North Carolina (very, very unlikely).

It still happens—are we forgetting that Cooper and Stein both won two elections apiece with Trump on the ballot? And they weren’t running against people as extreme as Morrow and Robinson.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #304 on: March 15, 2024, 11:00:51 AM »

Fancyarcher
United States
« Reply #305 on: March 15, 2024, 11:04:01 AM »

The thing is though, both of those were in midterms. This is the first time we've had such a horrible candidate in a swing-ish state in a presidential year, and turnout is going to be much higher. It's hard to see Robinson running behind Trump that much, unless he somehow collapses in North Carolina (very, very unlikely).

It still happens—are we forgetting that Cooper and Stein both won two elections apiece with Trump on the ballot? And they weren’t running against people as extreme as Morrow and Robinson.

Stein out ran Biden by less than 2 points. Cooper's performance was impressive in context, but he was an incumbent, and Stein running for Governor lacks that. I want to believe that he'd have the race locked up, but I just don't see there being enough of a divergence between presidential and governor for candidate quality to matter as much as some people think it does.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #306 on: March 15, 2024, 11:07:16 AM »

Stein out ran Biden by less than 2 points. Cooper's performance was impressive in context, but he was an incumbent, and Stein running for Governor lacks that. I want to believe that he'd have the race locked up, but I just don't see there being enough of a divergence between presidential and governor for candidate quality to matter as much as some people think it does.

We’ll have to see. Stein won against a strong opponent who was the sitting District Attorney of one of the bluest counties in North Carolina. I think that fact is overlooked. Dan Forest wasn’t weak either.

For what it’s worth, even if Stein’s overperformance of Biden was once again only a couple points, that’s probably all he needs anyway. For whatever reason, people seem to think Trump won North Carolina by a bigger margin than he actually did when it was extremely close in 2020 and reasonably close in 2016.
Fancyarcher
United States
« Reply #307 on: March 15, 2024, 11:10:41 AM »

We’ll have to see. Stein won against a strong opponent who was the sitting District Attorney of one of the bluest counties in North Carolina. I think that fact is overlooked. Dan Forest wasn’t weak either.

For what it’s worth, even if Stein’s overperformance of Biden was once again only a couple points, that’s probably all he needs anyway. For whatever reason, people seem to think Trump won North Carolina by a bigger margin than he actually did when it was extremely close in 2020 and reasonably close in 2016.

Oh, I expect Stein to win, unless North Carolina swings considerably right. I just think some people will be very disappointed when he only wins by like a point.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #308 on: March 15, 2024, 04:40:55 PM »

Some of you may not know who the father of Democratic lieutenant-gubernatorial nominee Rachel Hunt is. I hope that these links will prove to be a useful study aid in these regards.

People in North Carolina certainly remember, as attested by her primary performance.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #309 on: March 27, 2024, 09:06:11 AM »

President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #310 on: March 27, 2024, 09:12:39 AM »

He's cooking for the wrong reasons, but he's cooking nevertheless.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #311 on: March 27, 2024, 09:42:51 AM »

He's cooking for the wrong reasons, but he's cooking nevertheless.

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #312 on: March 27, 2024, 10:39:16 AM »

It's almost like Robinson is a plant and tries to lose with his outlandish statements.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #313 on: March 27, 2024, 10:40:48 AM »

It's almost like Robinson is a plant and tries to lose with his outlandish statements.

In a pre-Trump world, I would agree. But unfortunately, people like him are all too serious and are becoming increasingly common.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #314 on: March 27, 2024, 10:56:26 AM »

In a pre-Trump world, I would agree. But unfortunately, people like him are all too serious and are becoming increasingly common.

True but they rarely win elections outside of safe territory unless they fly under the radar like Robinson did in 2020.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #315 on: March 27, 2024, 11:11:38 AM »

True but they rarely win elections outside of safe territory unless they fly under the radar like Robinson did in 2020.

Their base naturally gravitates towards them, so it's easy for crazy birds to flock with similarly crazy birds. I agree Robinson is uniquely positioned to lose this race, but it's quite concerning that we can't write him off whole cloth. He ought to be taken seriously lest Democrats get complacent and choke the race away.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #316 on: March 27, 2024, 12:16:41 PM »

Their base naturally gravitates towards them, so it's easy for crazy birds to flock with similarly crazy birds. I agree Robinson is uniquely positioned to lose this race, but it's quite concerning that we can't write him off whole cloth. He ought to be taken seriously lest Democrats get complacent and choke the race away.

The issue is suburban educated voters. Those will be Robinson’s kryptonite.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #317 on: March 27, 2024, 01:33:00 PM »

Has the NC GOP been completely captured by the crazies?
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #318 on: March 27, 2024, 01:33:21 PM »

So Dems kind of tried this playbook back in 2018 in the old NC-9 against Mark Harris, hitting him on some of his controversial sermons. Despite how provocative his statements were, like women submitting to their husbands and such it was not exactly a slam dunk given the results. I think Robinson's crazy remarks aren't going to necessarily sink his candidacy like people think, this is going to be a close race regardless.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #319 on: March 27, 2024, 04:24:53 PM »

It's been that way since at least 2010. When will the state finally have enough?
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #320 on: March 27, 2024, 05:27:24 PM »

Based on the Ronda McDaniel discussion, I think most Republicans would say that people who believe these things deserve representation too.

See even Republicans support DEI!
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #321 on: March 27, 2024, 07:40:30 PM »

The NC GOP has always been full of crazies even before Trump came along. He just allowed them to embrace their worst qualities and not feel an ounce of shame.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #322 on: March 27, 2024, 10:44:34 PM »

So Dems kind of tried this playbook back in 2018 in the old NC-9 against Mark Harris, hitting him on some of his controversial sermons. Despite how provocative his statements were, like women submitting to their husbands and such it was not exactly a slam dunk given the results. I think Robinson's crazy remarks aren't going to necessarily sink his candidacy like people think, this is going to be a close race regardless.

Wives “submitting to their husband” is a direct quote from the Bible (Ephesians 5) and a pretty common thing you hear in evangelical churches. I heard it at a wedding this weekend at a family friend’s wedding, and they’re far from Bible thumpers.

There’s a big difference from just quoting the antiquated parts of scripture then saying the holocaust didn’t happen and Michele Obama is a man.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #323 on: March 28, 2024, 02:03:48 AM »

What a moron.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #324 on: March 28, 2024, 11:35:08 PM »

he's a house candidate again, btw.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies