GfK/Roper/National Geographic Follow-Up Survey 2006
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:43:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  GfK/Roper/National Geographic Follow-Up Survey 2006
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: GfK/Roper/National Geographic Follow-Up Survey 2006  (Read 720 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 19, 2007, 01:03:45 PM »

Following my recent discovery of an old poll from 2002 which showed that more than 80% of American 18-24 year olds cant find Iraq on a map, I just found out that another survey was conducted in 2006. This is highly interesting I think. I mentioned the older poll in this thread:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=53395.0

The results:

Executive Summary

Highlights

Americans are far from alone in the world, but from the perspective of many young Americans, we might as well be. On this survey, most young adults between the ages of 18 and 24 demonstrate a limited understanding of the world beyond their country’s borders, and they place insufficient importance on the basic geographic skills that might enhance their knowledge.

In this survey, young Americans answer about half (54%) of all the questions correctly. But by and large, majorities of young adults fail at a range of questions testing their basic geographic literacy. There is some good news. For instance, respondents have a fairly good understanding of how to use a map for simple navigation tasks, and many can say on which continents different countries and significant natural landmarks are found. They accurately recall a number of timely facts, such as the Asian origins of the current strain of avian influenza.

However, survey results show cause for concern. Six in ten (63%) cannot find Iraq on a map of the Middle East, despite near-constant news coverage since the U.S. invasion of March 2003. Three-quarters cannot find Indonesia on a map – even after images of the tsunami and the damage it caused to this region of the world played prominently across televisions screens and in the pages of print media over many months in 2005.

Three-quarters (75%) of young men and women do not know that a majority of Indonesia’s population is Muslim (making it the largest Muslim country in the world), despite the prominence of this religion in global news today. Neither wars nor natural disasters appear to have compelled majorities of young adults to absorb knowledge about international places in the news. Also striking is young Americans’ ignorance of how the United States fits into the wider world.

Majorities overestimate the total size of the U.S. population and fail to understand how much larger the population of China is. Three-quarters (74%) believe English is the most commonly spoken native language in the world, rather than Mandarin Chinese.

Although 73% know the U.S. is the world’s largest consumer of oil, nearly as many (71%) do not know the U.S. is the world’s largest exporter of goods and services – half think it’s China. Such lack of geographic literacy shows up closer to home, as well. Half or fewer of young men and women 18-24 can identify the states of New York or Ohio on a map (50% and 43%, respectively).

Moreover, their lack of knowledge does not seem particularly alarming to many young Americans. Half think it is “important but not absolutely necessary” either to know where countries in the news are located (50%) or to be able to speak a foreign language (47%) – and six in ten (62%)young Americans cannot speak a second language fluently (38% report being able to speak one or more non-native languages “fluently”

Indeed, young adults are far more likely to say speaking a foreign language is “not too important” (38%) than to say it is “absolutely necessary” (14%). On a positive note, however, young Americans have access to a potentially important tool for improving geographic knowledge and understanding: the Internet. Eight in ten (80%) young adults have been on the Internet within the past month, and majorities say computer and Internet skills are “absolutely necessary” in today’s world (60% and 56%, respectively).

This is significant because use of the Internet to follow news about current events worldwide is positively associated with young Americans’ performance on the quiz. While still small (27%),
the percentage of young adults who turn to the Web for world news has more than doubled in just the last four years (11% in 2002).
Taken together, these results suggest that young people in the United States – the most recent graduates of our educational system – are unprepared for an increasingly global future.

Far too many lack even the most basic skills for navigating the international economy or understanding the relationships among people and places that provide critical context for world events.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/roper2006/findings.html
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 01:11:39 PM »

I just saw this too. You can also take an online test like the one they gave to Americans in the survey and see how well you do as well as seeing the results of each question. Some answers are just scary.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 01:18:12 PM »

I just saw this too. You can also take an online test like the one they gave to Americans in the survey and see how well you do as well as seeing the results of each question. Some answers are just scary.

Indeed. I got 19 of the 20 questions right, i got only the question "What percentage of Population growth in the US was due to immigration ?" wrong. I said 52% or something, but it was like 30%.

Others were simple, like "on which continent is the Amazonas rain forest"...
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 03:49:37 PM »

Indeed. I got 19 of the 20 questions right, i got only the question "What percentage of Population growth in the US was due to immigration ?" wrong. I said 52% or something, but it was like 30%.

Others were simple, like "on which continent is the Amazonas rain forest"...

Yeah the immigration question was the only one I had to guess on, I did guess correctly though. The people who said Sudan was in Europe must have some problems. Wink
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 04:08:57 PM »

I just took the test.  The following are some highlights regarding how much I despair about the results:

- 29% think that the population of the US is over a billion.  5% think it's under 50 million.

- 3% of people have no idea that New York is in a different time zone than California.

- 30% of people think that the US-Mexico border is the most heavily fortified in the world.

- 4% of people think that there are more Americans than Chinese.

- 5% of people think that Colombia is in North America (uh... where the heck would it be?).
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 04:29:32 PM »

The only one I didn't know was where CSI was originally set. (Why should I know that!?) I guessed Chicago, which was incidentally the "most incorrect" answer (farthest away).
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 04:33:13 PM »

The only one I didn't know was where CSI was originally set. (Why should I know that!?) I guessed Chicago, which was incidentally the "most incorrect" answer (farthest away).

I guessed Los Angeles.  I almost got it half right (the "Las" in "Las Vegas").

I got that and the immigration question wrong, along with one other that I can't remember.  I think I accidentally got the time zone question backwards due to not thinking about it for long enough (adding three hours instead of subtracting three).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies