Embryonic Stem Cell Research Enhancement Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:38:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Embryonic Stem Cell Research Enhancement Bill  (Read 2767 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 20, 2007, 03:33:00 PM »

1. The government shall invest $50 million in scientific grants to aid the advancement of embryonic stem cell research.
2. The research progress is to be reviewed in three years with all participating to present findings, advances, and possible cures into diseases.
3. No restrictions shall be placed on the use of human embryos in therapeutic cloning and stem cell research.
4. F.L. 14-9, Human Cloning Act, is repealed.

Sponsor: The President pro tempore
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 07:02:16 PM »

Given the ethical questions that this area raises, I'd really prefer to both exhaust other possibilities first and have some successes with animal models before committing even the pittance proposed in this Act to human embryonic stem cell research.  I'm not an absolutist on this subject, but there are other things that need to be done first.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 07:17:04 PM »

I don't see why the repeal of the Human Cloning Act is necessary. After going over that act several times I find no mention of stem cell research only of cloning. The creation of invitro fertilized embryos or using embryos from invitro fertilization clinics is not barred by the Human Cloning Act. As far as I can tell it only pertains to human cloning. Last time I checked the embryos that are being used by reseachers are not cloned embryos but left over and unused eggs that have been fertilized in clinics and hospitals throughout Atlasia.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 01:56:03 PM »

May I ask the bill's sponsor,
1. What is "therapuetic cloning" per section 3 of the bill?
2. Is it your position that F.L.14-9 needs to be repealed for this research to be allowed under law?
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 02:01:02 PM »

Usually I don't like to but in Senate debates, but I thought this might be helpful. This was introduced by me and passed by the Northeast GA when I was Governor. It is similar to the measure that was passed in the Congress and vetoed by Bush.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Northeastern Stem Cell Act of 2005

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the Northeastern Region of the Republic of Atlasia,

§ I. Notwithstanding any other provision of law (including any regulation or guidance), the Governor shall conduct and support research that utilizes human embryonic stem cells in accordance with this section (regardless of the date on which the stem cells were derived from a human embryo).

§ II. Ethical Requirements- Human embryonic stem cells shall be eligible for use in any research conducted or supported by the Governor if the cells meet each of the following:

(a) The stem cells were derived from human embryos that have been donated from in vitro fertilization clinics, were created for the purposes of fertility treatment, and were in excess of the clinical need of the individuals seeking such treatment.

(b) Prior to the consideration of embryo donation and through consultation with the individuals seeking fertility treatment, it was determined that the embryos would never be implanted in a woman and would otherwise be discarded.

(c) The individuals seeking fertility treatment donated the embryos with written informed consent and without receiving any financial or other inducements to make the donation.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 12:46:08 AM »

1. What is "therapuetic cloning" per section 3 of the bill?

"Therapeutic cloning: A procedure in which cells, typically skin cells, are taken from a patient and inserted into a fertilized egg whose nucleus has been removed. The cell that is so created is permitted to divide repeatedly to form a blastocyst. Scientists then extract stem cells from it, and use those cells to grow tissue that are a perfect genetic match for the patient.

Therapeutic cloning can produce stem cells which may be used to treat disorders such as diabetes, Alzheimer's disease, and Parkinson's disease.

The cells created by therapeutic cloning can potentially be transplanted into the patient to treat a disease from which the patient suffers. Therapeutic cloning has been the subject of some bioethical controversy."

(Source)

This is different from reproductive cloning (the purpose of which should be self-explanatory).
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 12:50:48 AM »

2. Is it your position that F.L.14-9 needs to be repealed for this research to be allowed under law?

Yes, because of its prohibition of funding on institutions which perform "human cloning" (the bill in question gives a vague definition of the term which may include embryonic stem cell research).
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 12:55:43 PM »

Thanks for answering my questions.

Would you be willing to consider an amendment to the bill which would remove section 4, but which puts in place a new section specifically stating that the Human Cloning Act shall not operate to prohibit the funding of institutions engaged in embryonic stem cell research, or words to that effect?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 02:06:28 PM »

Porce, that source you quote slightly overstates the case, tho I thinks its not an intentional overstatement. I'd use "might be used to treat disorders" rather than "may" since we have yet to show even with animal models that therapeutic cloning is a viable treatment.  There are sufficient ethical concerns that I see no need to rush into a field with purely speculative results when there is research that can be done now without touching upon those ethical concerns to see if there is any substance behind the hype.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 01:22:36 AM »

Thanks for answering my questions.

Would you be willing to consider an amendment to the bill which would remove section 4, but which puts in place a new section specifically stating that the Human Cloning Act shall not operate to prohibit the funding of institutions engaged in embryonic stem cell research, or words to that effect?

Yes, I would be willing to vote in favor of that if necessary to ensure the bill's passage.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 09:00:52 AM »

Proposed Amendment:
That section 4 of the bill be removed and replaced with the following:
4. F.L.14-9, Human Cloning Act, shall not be contrued as to prohibit funding of institutions engaged in embryonic stem cell research.

Given that this is a delicate area, I'm unsure how to effectively word this amendment. If another Senator puts forward a more suitable suggested wording, then I shall withdraw this amendment.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2007, 03:39:41 PM »

Voting on this amendment:
That section 4 of the bill be removed and replaced with the following:
4. F.L.14-9, Human Cloning Act, shall not be construed as to prohibit funding of institutions engaged in embryonic stem cell research.

Aye
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2007, 04:02:49 PM »

aye
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2007, 04:15:41 PM »

Aye
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007, 07:55:55 PM »

Nay
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2007, 05:36:53 AM »

Aye
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2007, 09:41:58 AM »

Nay.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2007, 12:52:16 AM »

The amendment passes.

We will now vote on final passage:
1. The government shall invest $50 million in scientific grants to aid the advancement of embryonic stem cell research.
2. The research progress is to be reviewed in three years with all participating to present findings, advances, and possible cures into diseases.
3. No restrictions shall be placed on the use of human embryos in therapeutic cloning and stem cell research.
4. F.L.14-9, Human Cloning Act, shall not be construed as to prohibit funding of institutions engaged in embryonic stem cell research.

---

Aye
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2007, 07:44:11 AM »

Nay
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2007, 08:01:11 AM »

Aye
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2007, 02:36:27 PM »

aye
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2007, 03:15:24 PM »

Aye
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2007, 03:02:30 AM »

Holy sh**t, how did we/I lose track of this?

With 4 ayes and 1 nay, the bill has passed and is presented to the President for his signature.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2007, 10:18:30 AM »

Is that enough votes for a quoroum?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2007, 04:24:48 PM »

It would have been at the time, though it doesn't matter since voting has long expired.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies