Districts and Regions Maps
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:05:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Districts and Regions Maps
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Districts and Regions Maps  (Read 9114 times)
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 07, 2004, 05:41:02 PM »
« edited: August 19, 2004, 07:32:38 PM by Senator StevenNick »

Regions

Districts
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2004, 05:20:49 PM »

We really should change it so that we start in the North-East and work our way round, heh. I don't think the last districts were numbered like that but I may be wrong.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2004, 05:32:51 PM »

We really should change it so that we start in the North-East and work our way round, heh. I don't think the last districts were numbered like that but I may be wrong.

No, if we had really been following the rule last time, districts 2 and 3 should have been reversed.  Unless you don't count DC as a state, then it was fine the way it was.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2004, 06:12:43 PM »

Well, I don't consider DC to be a state, and neither does the forum constitution.  By the way did the Senate ever try to establish Regional boundaries according to the requirements of the fourth Amendment?  Except for the Mid-East Region, they don't have the constitutionally mandated ten states.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2004, 06:17:42 PM »

There was an extended forum-wide debate on that issue; this was before we even had a senate.  In the end the region map we have was approved of by the voters and, despite the fact that it contradicts the constitution, was adopted.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2004, 06:30:46 PM »

At least we got VA and kept WVA and DC out of the south! I like that map.
Niles Caulder

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2004, 10:53:11 AM »
« Edited: August 11, 2004, 11:29:30 AM by Niles Caulder »

Brief submitted to the Supreme Court of the United Atlas Forum

Niles Caulder v. the Senate of the United Atlas Forum
on writ of certiorari to the Atlas Supreme Court
August 4, 2004

Whereas the Constitution of the United Atlas Forum was ratified and serves as the Highest Law in the cyberland; and,
Whereas said Constitution includes in the Bill of Rights Article IV, Section 2: "There are five Regions with ten states per Region...TO BE DETERMINED OFFICIALLY AFTER THE SENATE IS IN PLACE," and,
Whereas the Senate has to date failed to discharge its constitutionally mandated duty of determining Regions in accordance to the UAF Constitution:

The Senate is in violation of Constitutional Law, and specifically the Rights of citizens of all Regions to be apportioned according to quantity of states.  The Regional Map in effect, despite being publically approved, concentrates representation (and therefore gubernatorial power) to regions of fewer states at the expense of those with more.

Niles Caulder, private citizen of the Great State of Texas, whose voting representation in government has been diluted in this map, along with all citizens of the Mid-West Region, does hereby respectfully petition the Supreme Court of the United Atlas Forum to:

Mandate the Senate of the United Atlas Forum to discharge its Constitutional obligation to legislate Regions in such a manner to ensure Voters' Rights being in accordance to the Constitution as specified according to Ammendment IV, Section 2 PRIOR to the next bi-monthly elections.

This plaintiff welcomes joining to this suit by interested parties.

[Regional Map at time of filing:]

[Various edits for clarity and punctuation.
Edited August 5, 2004 to remove references of Senate representaiton, as the issue does not exist.]
Niles Caulder

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2004, 11:06:28 AM »
« Edited: August 04, 2004, 11:07:34 AM by Niles Caulder »

Laides and gentlemen of the Senate,

Please excuse my abrupt intrusion upon your busy itinerary; I do wish you all to know that I am completely open to a resolution of this issue in some other manner than the spotlight of the High Court.  A genuine consensus regarding the ideal system of legislative representation may be an achievable outcome of a little more attention provided to this subject by such an esteemed body, even if it utlimately warranted a constitutional ammendment to faciliate it.  Please know I'd be happy to work in a constructive manner resolving and forging a regionalization that serves the democracy now and for its posterity.

Thank you for your kind attention,
Niles Caulder
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2004, 07:15:04 PM »

I'd like to submit this region map for consideration

Colorado is only an example of one of the states the Pacific can have(I'd prefer CO. But MT, WY, or NM would work just as well).
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2004, 07:16:41 PM »

I'd like to submit this region map for consideration

Colorado is only an example of one of the states the Pacific can have(I'd prefer CO. But MT, WY, or NM would work just as well).

You just want two army bases Smiley
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2004, 07:24:29 PM »
« Edited: August 04, 2004, 07:24:50 PM by Governor ilikeverin »

I submit the following for consideration:

Very little reshuffling involved Smiley

And besides... who says the Mideast has to be the one with 11 places in it? Smiley
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2004, 07:28:14 PM »

Or we could just leave it the way it is and save ourselves a lot of time! It works, why change it? Because one person isn't happy? Waste of time, only way you should change it is if a MAJORITY of the people disapprove!
Niles Caulder

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2004, 07:28:38 PM »

Governor Ilikeverin--doesn't that map include 11 states for the Pacific Region?  But pretty close to a workable solution, imo.  Governor Wildcard's map is very intuitive as well.
Niles Caulder

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2004, 07:38:37 PM »
« Edited: August 04, 2004, 07:39:18 PM by Niles Caulder »

Or we could just leave it the way it is and save ourselves a lot of time! It works, why change it? Because one person isn't happy? Waste of time, only way you should change it is if a MAJORITY of the people disapprove!

Jedi, may I invite you to the thread I created for this very debate?  I'd be delighted if you got it off to a good start with a well formed criticism!  I'll see if I can defend myself tomorrow!  Wink
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2004, 07:41:48 PM »

Heh, or you could just do a poll and see how many people want it to be changed? I bet you the majority doesn't. Smiley
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2004, 07:52:27 PM »

Heh, or you could just do a poll and see how many people want it to be changed? I bet you the majority doesn't. Smiley

Regardless, this is a Constitutional issue that must be addressed.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2004, 08:44:42 PM »

Governor Ilikeverin--doesn't that map include 11 states for the Pacific Region?  But pretty close to a workable solution, imo.  Governor Wildcard's map is very intuitive as well.

It does... but we need to include DC somewhere.  One region would have to have 11 places anyway Smiley
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2004, 09:02:35 PM »

Perhaps instead of adjusting the Regions to fit the Constitution, it would be easier to adjust the Constitution to fit the Regions?
Niles Caulder

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2004, 10:39:58 PM »

Previously mentioned thread:  https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?board=13;action=display;threadid=7019

Governor Ilikeverin:  Yessir, someone has to take DC, and that's the Region that Must have 11 places...because that region will still have ten requisite States, and so will All the others.  (Constitution refers to 'states,' not 'places'...and though it's up to the Courts to decide, I don't think D.C. would very likely pass for a "state.")
But I really do think your map is a pragmatic step in the right direction--almost to home plate.

Ernest mentioned adjusting the Constitution to fit the existing Regions.  I agree that an ammendment may be optimal, but I don't think retaining the existing regional map is the way to go, and I'll delve into why on the other thread, so this one doesn't get any more convoluted obstructing the purpose for which it was created.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2004, 10:52:48 PM »

Previously mentioned thread:  https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?board=13;action=display;threadid=7019

Governor Ilikeverin:  Yessir, someone has to take DC, and that's the Region that Must have 11 places...because that region will still have ten requisite States, and so will All the others.  (Constitution refers to 'states,' not 'places'...and though it's up to the Courts to decide, I don't think D.C. would very likely pass for a "state.")
But I really do think your map is a pragmatic step in the right direction--almost to home plate.

Ernest mentioned adjusting the Constitution to fit the existing Regions.  I agree that an ammendment may be optimal, but I don't think retaining the existing regional map is the way to go, and I'll delve into why on the other thread, so this one doesn't get any more convoluted obstructing the purpose for which it was created.

You do realize we've had PLENTY of debate on this issue in months past, right?  After hundred of messages of bickering, the end result was basically that we don't care enough to change them.  

We've already deemphasized the Regions by removing their Senators, and the Governors are one step raway from being a purely ceremonial.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2004, 11:00:02 PM »

You do realize we've had PLENTY of debate on this issue in months past, right?  After hundred of messages of bickering, the end result was basically that we don't care enough to change them.  

We've already deemphasized the Regions by removing their Senators, and the Governors are one step raway from being a purely ceremonial.

What impact did Governors have in the first place besides being in charge of redistricting?
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2004, 11:01:43 PM »

What impact did Governors have in the first place besides being in charge of redistricting?

The could replace the Regional Senators in the event of a vacancy.
Niles Caulder

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2004, 11:25:44 PM »

Whoa!  The Senate Seats have already been detatched from the Regions?  I didn't find that among what I read.  (Catching up on this History is no small feat.)  I feel sheepish now.  If you can help me locate the appropriate thread, I'd be grateful.

But my case still applies to Governors, however ceremonial.  I see this government as something that's in growth, not decline...so it's worth the effort to resolve the basic issue now before the game evolves to provide Governors more-than-ceremonial functions.

And come on y'all...fantasy government without redistricting hassles?  What were you expecting?  Tongue
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2004, 07:07:30 AM »

My proposal-It includes a lot of reshuffling, but it is geographically fair, and as population-fair as possible, imho.

King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2004, 09:32:43 AM »

My proposal-It includes a lot of reshuffling, but it is geographically fair, and as population-fair as possible, imho.

Put Arizona back in the Pacific and I am fine...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies