2006 Minnesota county map for U.S. House races
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:09:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2006 Minnesota county map for U.S. House races
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2006 Minnesota county map for U.S. House races  (Read 1099 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 21, 2007, 12:55:33 AM »

Can anyone spot the really bizarre thing?
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 01:09:28 AM »

Republican carried Hennepin county.  It looks like it must have been Ramstad.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 01:15:28 AM »

At first glance it looks pretty damning for Republicans but if you look at the population map, alongside the results it isn't a total disaster for them.  Republicans definitely have their work cut out for them in 2008 though.
RBH

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 01:37:07 AM »

I think that Ellison's weak showing also helped Hennepin go for the Reps overall.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 02:25:08 PM »

I think that Ellison's weak showing also helped Hennepin go for the Reps overall.

Yes, that's the main reason. Even with Ramstad it usually goes DFL.

Even now the Reps only won it by a few points. Of course the IP candidate siphoned a few votes from the Republican too obviously (Kerry got about 71% in the district, she and Ellison got about 76%) together, but it was clearly mostly Democrats concerned with Ellison

At first glance it looks pretty damning for Republicans but if you look at the population map, alongside the results it isn't a total disaster for them.  Republicans definitely have their work cut out for them in 2008 though.

Not really. Peterson's seat is safe until he retires, MN-5 will never ever ever vote Republican, same is true of MN-4 to a lesser extent, and Oberstar is also super-safe, and his district is even fairly safe without him.

That means they only have a chance of beating Walz, and as I've pointed out before his base is probably too big to crack. They might have a tough time defending Bachmann though (hopefully!)

BTW, Peterson and Oberstar always win every county. So the map looked similar even back in the 4/4 alignment. In 2004 the only country that voted against its incumbent was Rice (the light red one surrounded by all that blue below the metro).
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 03:25:54 PM »

Yes, that's the main reason. Even with Ramstad it usually goes DFL.

Even now the Reps only won it by a few points. Of course the IP candidate siphoned a few votes from the Republican too obviously (Kerry got about 71% in the district, she and Ellison got about 76%) together, but it was clearly mostly Democrats concerned with Ellison

Not really. Peterson's seat is safe until he retires, MN-5 will never ever ever vote Republican, same is true of MN-4 to a lesser extent, and Oberstar is also super-safe, and his district is even fairly safe without him.

That means they only have a chance of beating Walz, and as I've pointed out before his base is probably too big to crack. They might have a tough time defending Bachmann though (hopefully!)

BTW, Peterson and Oberstar always win every county. So the map looked similar even back in the 4/4 alignment. In 2004 the only country that voted against its incumbent was Rice (the light red one surrounded by all that blue below the metro).

I think Walz will turn this into a safe seat like Tim Penny did.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 03:26:41 PM »

The district is fairly different from the one Tim Penny held, but that is most likely what'll happen.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies