What to do with illegal immigrants
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:09:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What to do with illegal immigrants
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: What to do with illegal immigrants
Push button A

Push button B

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: What to do with illegal immigrants  (Read 1927 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 22, 2007, 03:29:26 PM »

Let's say you had a magical device. Push button A on it and all illegal immigrants in the US would be given instant full citizenship.

Push button B on it and all illegal immigrants would be magically deported back to their home countries.

Which one would you push?

I'd push button A.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 03:33:12 PM »

With ultimatums like that, one would have to press Button B.  However, in real life there is a Button C for all of those who are victims of the Department of Labor who lost their legal status due to their incompetence and slowness (which makes up a rather large population).
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 04:00:13 PM »

Option d. Annex Mexico.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 05:33:13 PM »

Considering that many illegal immigrants are occupying otherwise unwanted jobs, deporting all of them instantly would definitely cause... problems. And besides, once we give them citizenship, they won't be here illegally anymore.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 05:36:53 PM »

Considering that many illegal immigrants are occupying otherwise unwanted jobs, deporting all of them instantly would definitely cause... problems. And besides, once we give them citizenship, they won't be here illegally anymore.
Annexing mexico would solve the citizenship red tape AND mean we have a much easier to patrol border with guatamala.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 07:49:35 PM »

B.  I did a poll like this before - it was if you could safely deport all illegal immigrants for free - and I said yes - and remember, my great-grandfather was an illegal immigrant, so it's not like this situation doesn't affect me.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 08:08:58 PM »

B.  I did a poll like this before - it was if you could safely deport all illegal immigrants for free - and I said yes - and remember, my great-grandfather was an illegal immigrant, so it's not like this situation doesn't affect me.

How was he illegal? Unless he basically snuck into this country because he was diseased or had a criminal record there were no illegal immigrants in the modern sense prior to 1920.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 08:12:16 PM »

Button 'B' -if it were practical to do so...which it isn't. 
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 10:15:10 PM »

same as Frodo-the fact that illegals hurt more than benefit this country.

Let's see, find other people to take sh**t jobs (not that we'd necessarily need to if we improved technology).  Meanwhile we decrease the payroll of the welfare state and other benefits illegals get, stop illegal immigrant gangs, and keep English as the language of our nation.  Hmm, I really don't see any reason not to push B.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 10:18:58 PM »

Let's see, find other people to take sh**t jobs (not that we'd necessarily need to if we improved technology).  Meanwhile we decrease the payroll of the welfare state and other benefits illegals get, stop illegal immigrant gangs, and keep English as the language of our nation.  Hmm, I really don't see any reason not to push B.

If all you care about is the strength of the flag, that's fine.  The people pushing the other button are thinking about the people involved in the deportation as people, not animals or objects.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 10:26:44 PM »

If all you care about is the strength of the flag, that's fine.  The people pushing the other button are thinking about the people involved in the deportation as people, not animals or objects.

aww that's so cute, you have a little opinion don't you?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 10:32:10 PM »

Good point.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 10:58:45 PM »

you really do think that illegal immigrants hurt the US? The  cheap labor alone they provide is extremely valuable and probably worth much more than the money that is drained from the state, without these people the US would likely see either a large recession or the posibility of a depression. Oh and why does it even matter what language people speak? Basically it would be a huge disaster to force the illegal immigrants to leave, and I am not even looking at it from a humanitarian standpoint.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2007, 01:08:29 AM »

Button A- mass deportation is cruel and inhumane.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2007, 02:04:18 AM »

you really do think that illegal immigrants hurt the US? The  cheap labor alone they provide is extremely valuable and probably worth much more than the money that is drained from the state, without these people the US would likely see either a large recession or the posibility of a depression. Oh and why does it even matter what language people speak? Basically it would be a huge disaster to force the illegal immigrants to leave, and I am not even looking at it from a humanitarian standpoint.
If you're looking for slaves/cheap labor don't use people who can pass for the majority of the population like how hispanics can.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2007, 03:11:04 AM »
« Edited: February 23, 2007, 03:13:19 AM by MaC »

you really do think that illegal immigrants hurt the US? The  cheap labor alone they provide is extremely valuable and probably worth much more than the money that is drained from the state, without these people the US would likely see either a large recession or the posibility of a depression.

Remember their silly little 'MayDay' last year when the illegals all stood outside and protested by not working.  It didn't do crap.

Oh and why does it even matter what language people speak?
It's a cost saving feature on one hand.  On the other, I'd like to go to any place in America and feel like I can talk to someone and have them understand me.  Unity's vital for a country.

Basically it would be a huge disaster to force the illegal immigrants to leave, and I am not even looking at it from a humanitarian standpoint.

Humanist standpoint is a bad approach.  If you want to take that standpoint, then you should probably look at illegal immigrant gangs that have no respect for human life.  I don't know why someone who breaks the law shouldn't be subjected to punishment.  Murderers get punished, rapists get punished, white collar criminals get punished... (and I don't even want immigrants "punished" per se, just brought back to their country.  I would hope that then that country would have the decency to punish them as they disgrace their homeland)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2007, 12:26:49 PM »

So if they commit a crime while here, punish them accordingly and/or deport them.  It's not fair to deport 12 million people because a few percentage points worth of them are "bad."
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2007, 01:41:50 PM »

It's not practical to deport all those millions of illegals-but if it were as simple as pushing a button, then it would be a great thing to do.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2007, 01:44:16 PM »

It's not practical to deport all those millions of illegals-but if it were as simple as pushing a button, then it would be a great thing to do.

Not relevant to the point I was making.  (Or maybe it wasn't intended to be and is just a general statement.)
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2007, 01:58:42 PM »

I would deport as many as I could.  The less Salvadoran gangs and drugs we have in Northern Virginia, the better.

Plus they really are just a drain on other Americans' tax dollars/
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2007, 05:40:09 PM »

Humanist standpoint is a bad approach.  If you want to take that standpoint, then you should probably look at illegal immigrant gangs that have no respect for human life.  I don't know why someone who breaks the law shouldn't be subjected to punishment.  Murderers get punished, rapists get punished, white collar criminals get punished... (and I don't even want immigrants "punished" per se, just brought back to their country.  I would hope that then that country would have the decency to punish them as they disgrace their homeland)

Is this a joke?

Do you support punishing marijuana users to the fullest extent of the law, too?

Do you favor punishing all black people because of urban black gangs in major cities?
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2007, 02:50:36 AM »

Is this a joke?

Do you favor punishing all black people because of urban black gangs in major cities?
1 No. They're not comprable.

2 Not all of them just the urban poor. Not just the black urban poor but all urban poor.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2007, 03:06:04 AM »

Is this a joke?

1 No. They're not comprable.

2 Not all of them just the urban poor. Not just the black urban poor but all urban poor.

These are lousy comparisons, Porce.  I don't think marijuana laws should exist.  Black people that join gangs should be punished if they've committed crimes, yes.  Black people in themselves, no.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2007, 05:04:30 AM »

Button B was my choice but only because I dislike it less than Button A.  neither button presents me with a favorable option though.  A is far too lenient and has failed before.  B is far to strict but I would rather deport people and increase the number of work visas available allowing them to re-enter as legal residents.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2007, 09:51:47 AM »

No more work or student visas. Basically only the 3 month visiting visa or citizenship.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies