Democrats lead big in first generic ballot poll for 2008 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:05:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Democrats lead big in first generic ballot poll for 2008 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Democrats lead big in first generic ballot poll for 2008  (Read 1845 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« on: February 24, 2007, 04:19:46 PM »

I agree with Alcon, the Republicans will probably lose a few more seats in 2008, but somehow I see them taking one of the chambers back in 2010.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 12:21:50 AM »

I agree with Alcon, the Republicans will probably lose a few more seats in 2008, but somehow I see them taking one of the chambers back in 2010.

Not likely. If they lose even more seats in 2008, they need a wave in 2010 to retake the House. 2010 might be a fairly good GOP year if we elect a Dem President, but it's doubtful it'll be a 1994/2006. The new Dem House will probably last at least as long as the old GOP House did.

As for the Senate, the GOP are looking pretty bad in 2008, their best case scenario is probably breaking even. In 2010, the map doesn't benefit them. In 2012, well yeah they'll pick up just thanks to the last two elections in that cycle being so great for us, but can they pick up enough to retake the Senate? Depends on how the next two elections go, but it's possible but not all that likely.

There is some truth to your statement.  It is entirely possibly that come the beginning of the 112th Congress in 2011, we could very easily see two Democratic Senators in Oklahoma.  Jim Inhofe, as I've said repeatedly, is vulnerable in 2008, and Tom Coburn may potentially be vulnerable in 2010, but if not then, then in 2016 as he promised his voters that he would not serve more than two terms in the Senate.  Republican Senator Wayne Allard of Colorado followed or is following through with that same commitment, so I'm giving Coburn the benefit of the doubt.  Personally, though, as a Democrat, I actually hope that if the Democrats unseat Jim Inhofe, that Tom Coburn, as much as I detest him, wins re-election in 2010.  I want one and one, not two in the same party.  How weird is that?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies