Philadelphians to vote on Troop Redeployment in Primary
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:20:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Philadelphians to vote on Troop Redeployment in Primary
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Is it a stupid idea to have this type of question on the ballot in a municipal/state primary?
Yes - Stupid idea to have this on the ballot.

No - It makes sense for this to be on the ballot.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Philadelphians to vote on Troop Redeployment in Primary  (Read 1874 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 25, 2007, 03:55:14 PM »

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/local/16762663.htm

I think that it is ridiculous that we are voting on this type of stuff especially in a city election.

Our Council voted to put this on the ballot last week. All three Republicans in Council voted against it. This will hurt one my Councilman - the only Republican district councilman in the city - who happens to be in a semi-tough race. Now his opponent can say that my Councilman "supports" the Iraq war.

The wording of these questions is notoriously biased, too. Should we "redeploy U.S. troops out of harm's way in Iraq?"

I'll be part of the roughly 5% to vote against this.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 03:57:49 PM »

This is silly.  Individual cities have no say in foreign policy and military affairs.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 03:58:28 PM »

Its silly in that the Commander in Chief wouldn't pay attention to it, as he's ignored every other message from the American people.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 03:59:06 PM »

It's dumb, badly-worded but not unprecedented.  They're effectively advisory votes that are summarily igniored (not that Bush would pay attention to a national advisory vote on the matter).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 04:06:04 PM »

It's dumb, badly-worded but not unprecedented.  They're effectively advisory votes that are summarily igniored (not that Bush would pay attention to a national advisory vote on the matter).

I know it's not unprecedented. It's simply being used as a campaign issue. Like I said, this helps the Dems in my Councilmanic district. They just have to have every district seat.  Roll Eyes
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 04:12:05 PM »

I know it's not unprecedented. It's simply being used as a campaign issue. Like I said, this helps the Dems in my Councilmanic district. They just have to have every district seat.  Roll Eyes

The Democrats are going to milk this at every level.  At this point, it's a hot-potato issue like gay marriage.  Even if only 5% of people will base their vote on it, they know that it's a 5% they can only gain, because only a tiny number of people will swing in the opposite way on the Iraq War issue.

As dumb as voting on local issues is because of that, this is the risk Bush knew he was taking for his party.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 04:28:08 PM »

The Democrats are going to milk this at every level.  At this point, it's a hot-potato issue like gay marriage.  Even if only 5% of people will base their vote on it, they know that it's a 5% they can only gain, because only a tiny number of people will swing in the opposite way on the Iraq War issue.

As dumb as voting on local issues is because of that, this is the risk Bush knew he was taking for his party.

Precisely.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 04:36:03 PM »

This is absolutely ridiculous.  You should raise as much attention about this as possible - and point out that it is just dumb.  Call in to talk shows - write in to papers.  If you have a blog, post there.  Write city council and ask that the letter be read aloud (they legally have to).
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 05:01:47 PM »

This is absolutely ridiculous.  You should raise as much attention about this as possible - and point out that it is just dumb.  Call in to talk shows - write in to papers.  If you have a blog, post there.  Write city council and ask that the letter be read aloud (they legally have to).

What's the point?  The whole thing is meaningless.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 05:10:05 PM »

B/c going against liberal gov't agenda is fun, and annoys the crap out of them - I almost beat the Taylor ordinance officer, but I ran out of time.  I'll get him in 08.  Mark my words. MWAHAHAHA
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 05:10:43 PM »

B/c going against liberal gov't agenda is fun, and annoys the crap out of them - I almost beat the Taylor ordinance officer, but I ran out of time.  I'll get him in 08.  Mark my words. MWAHAHAHA

Bit of a waste of time in a city like Philadelphia.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 06:52:44 PM »

Yes, it is stupid.  This is why the military runs the wars, not committees or Congress or ballot initiatives.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2007, 03:39:17 AM »

Add me to the 5%.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2007, 03:53:22 AM »

It should be on every ballot in the country.

Those who vote to keep the war going should also be immediately shipped out to Iraq in exchange for a soldier or marine who wants to come home.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007, 09:32:14 AM »

Those who vote to keep the war going should also be immediately shipped out to Iraq in exchange for a soldier or marine who wants to come home.

So even if a person is incapable of fighting, or even walking, we should send him to Iraq because he supports the war?  The marines signed up for the military for a reason.  They knew there was a possibility of war.  It is their duty to fight for our country.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2007, 11:15:09 AM »

The question at this point is will the city GOP put "Yes" to this question on our sample ballot? Both parties usually put "Yes to all ballot questions" but I'm wondering if this case will be different for the GOP.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2007, 11:23:03 AM »

What the hell has this got to do with governing the city of Philadelphia Huh

Dave

MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2007, 11:37:06 AM »

Dave

Bingo
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2007, 11:44:34 AM »

Dave

Bingo

These members would admit that it has nothing to do with the city and they're proud of doing this for partisan reasons.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2007, 11:45:01 AM »

This is a good idea, so obviously I voted no.
The Brits are pulling out and Cheney has said that that is a good thing, so logically it would be a good thing if we pulled out *today*. Every day we stay there means more deaths which will have absolutely no purpose.
How sad.

Anyone with a 'support the troops' ribbon on their car should be for supporting our troops by getting them out of harms way.
Bush is an absolute disgrace. Every day he is responsible for more and more senseless deaths.

It may not make any difference to have this on the ballot, but it gives people a voice, and *that* is the American way.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2007, 12:02:52 PM »

The Brits are pulling out and Cheney has said that that is a good thing, so logically it would be a good thing if we pulled out *today*.

Cheney said it was a good sign since the Iraqi forces have taken over the British administered region and it is a model for how Baghdad should be in order for US forces to leave.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2007, 12:11:06 PM »

The Brits are pulling out and Cheney has said that that is a good thing, so logically it would be a good thing if we pulled out *today*.

Cheney said it was a good sign since the Iraqi forces have taken over the British administered region and it is a model for how Baghdad should be in order for US forces to leave.

And when will that happen?
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2007, 12:12:24 PM »

By the way, where does the Roman Catholic Church stand on the issue of the Iraq War? I would think that they would be against it.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2007, 04:07:29 PM »

So even if a person is incapable of fighting, or even walking, we should send him to Iraq because he supports the war?  The marines signed up for the military for a reason.  They knew there was a possibility of war.  It is their duty to fight for our country.
To die for their pay, you mean.

Dave

Not sh!t.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2007, 04:10:31 PM »

Me and Bill there we both come from Georgia
Met Hank out in New Mexico