500 House seats = Gore officially wins the 2000 election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:57:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2000 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  500 House seats = Gore officially wins the 2000 election
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 500 House seats = Gore officially wins the 2000 election  (Read 9409 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 26, 2007, 10:13:29 PM »

Setting the number of House seats at 435 in 1941 stopped Al Gore from officially winning the 2000 Presidential election..

http://www.thirty-thousand.org/pages/Neubauer-Zeitlin.htm
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 10:19:05 PM »

Clearly FDR is a Bush enabler and a terrorist.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 12:00:14 AM »

Interesting. I've always been a supporter of a larger House, but not for this reason. More seats means that each Representative becomes more responsible to his or her individual community and makes it easier to launch localized campaigns on low budgets.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 12:03:41 AM »

Seriously though, it makes perfect sense that this would be the case.  Every state will have two more electoral votes than it "should" were it the case that electoral votes are distributed purely by population.  That inherently biases the system in favor of the candidate who is able to appeal to a larger number of the fifty states.  As the number of electoral votes increases, the weight of these two extra electoral votes is diminished, and the fact of who won the most states becomes less and less of an issue, eclipsed by the fact of who won the most populous states.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 02:39:33 AM »

And yet, we can't invent a time machine and Gore is not the President... so what is it worth pointing this out?
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 03:01:28 AM »

Make the house be set at 1,000.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 07:07:04 PM »

And yet, we can't invent a time machine and Gore is not the President... so what is it worth pointing this out?

As Gabu pointed out, this is just a thread calling out FDR for being a Bush supporter.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 07:31:09 PM »

As Gabu pointed out, this is just a thread calling out FDR for being a Bush supporter.

Well... Pearl Harbor was planned by FDR... 9/11 by Bush... it only makes sense.  Hey, I wonder if would could search for some Lincoln/Kennedy like correlations between FDR and Bush
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 08:54:39 PM »

...Or just keep increasing the size at each Census like was supposed to happen. Setting the House at 1,000 would cause the same problems of a lack of individual representation half a century from now.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 04:21:57 AM »

...Or just keep increasing the size at each Census like was supposed to happen. Setting the House at 1,000 would cause the same problems of a lack of individual representation half a century from now.

I can't imagine how such an enormous body could function.  Would it really be plausible to have a House so large?  I'm definitely an advocate for increasing the House to 499 or 501 (to prevent a tie) but 1,000 just seems like way to many people to be effective. 
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 12:19:48 PM »
« Edited: March 27, 2007, 12:28:02 PM by Verily »

I can't imagine how such an enormous body could function.  Would it really be plausible to have a House so large?  I'm definitely an advocate for increasing the House to 499 or 501 (to prevent a tie) but 1,000 just seems like way to many people to be effective. 

Britain's House of Commons has 646 members (it was 653 until the 2005 reorganization in Scotland that made Scottish constituencies equal to English ones and will be 654 after the next election), and the House of Lords is even larger. They never have a problem functioning.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 12:30:20 AM »

Britain's House of Commons has 646 members (it was 653 until the 2005 reorganization in Scotland that made Scottish constituencies equal to English ones and will be 654 after the next election), and the House of Lords is even larger. They never have a problem functioning.

It would be nice to return to the days of 300,000 people/Representative.  If that were still the case today, every single state would likely have at least two representatives and 4 electoral votes.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 10:15:48 AM »

Let's be honest.  Very few members of the Lords attend.  The quorum is 3.  The Commons Chamber, IIRC, cannot hold all the members, IIRC.

In principle, I agree with a fixed population representative system.  I note however that the PA State House has 203 members, and that has not improved representation.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 04:26:34 PM »

Let's be honest.  Very few members of the Lords attend.  The quorum is 3.  The Commons Chamber, IIRC, cannot hold all the members, IIRC.

In principle, I agree with a fixed population representative system.  I note however that the PA State House has 203 members, and that has not improved representation.
Another option is to fix the ideal district population equal to the population of the smallest state. In 2000 this would be WY at 495K. It would have resulted in 569 seats in the house.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 11:44:47 PM »

Another option is to fix the ideal district population equal to the population of the smallest state. In 2000 this would be WY at 495K. It would have resulted in 569 seats in the house.

I'd prefer it to be fixed to an actual number.  Perhaps somewhere between 300,000-600,000 people per district.  If you attach it to the population of the smallest state there is the chance (albeit slim) that the ideal district size could balloon up over 1 million or shrink down to only 100,000.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2007, 03:49:56 AM »

The Commons Chamber, IIRC, cannot hold all the members, IIRC.

That's more down to the size of the Chamber itself (it's tiny!) than the number of M.P's.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2007, 04:30:21 PM »

Your numbers are wrong. Tongue

(Was 659, will be 650. Is 646 is correct.)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2007, 09:05:01 PM »

Your numbers are wrong. Tongue

(Was 659, will be 650. Is 646 is correct.)

I guess I should stop trying to do the addition in my head. I used to be good at math...

Although Wikipedia says that 17 constituencies are being abolished, and 25 are being created from scratch, so 654 should be correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boundary_change_recommendations_for_the_next_UK_general_election
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2007, 03:39:49 AM »

That list includes lots of constituencies that are simply majorly redrawn rather than new (the abolished list is also too long, but not by as much).
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2007, 04:20:12 AM »

I'd prefer it to be fixed to an actual number.  Perhaps somewhere between 300,000-600,000 people per district.  If you attach it to the population of the smallest state there is the chance (albeit slim) that the ideal district size could balloon up over 1 million or shrink down to only 100,000.

Historically the population of the smallest state changes slowly with time. Unless a new small state entered the union, or small states somehow merged, I see little chance of the extremes you note.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies