McInnis Makes it Official
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:56:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  McInnis Makes it Official
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: McInnis Makes it Official  (Read 1774 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 27, 2007, 02:05:17 PM »

Retired House member Scott McInnis, a Republican who represented Colorado's 3rd District from 1993 to 2005, has filed paperwork that formalizes his bid for the seat of Republican Sen. Wayne Allard, who is retiring after two terms.

McInnis, a lawyer and lobbyist, is widely viewed as the front-runner for the Republican nomination that would likely pit him against Democrat Mark Udall, the five-term representative of Colorado's 2nd District. Although Udall has not yet made his Senate candidacy official, he signaled as early as two years ago that he intends to run in the 2008 race.

McInnis submitted a "statement of candidacy" and a "statement of organization" to the Senate Office of Public Records, which processed the documents Feb. 21. By filing the documents, McInnis can begin raising money for his incipient Senate campaign, which he has not yet formally announced.

He may also transfer the $943,000 that sits in the House campaign account he kept open, even though he declined to seek re-election in 2004. Campaign finance regulations allow a current or former House member to transfer unlimited funds from his or her House campaign committee to a Senate campaign committee.

http://www.coloradopols.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=2757
Chesco ABB
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 10:26:44 PM »

I'll guess that Udall will be probably be favored by a fairly significant margin over McInnis.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 10:37:38 PM »

Probably the best candidate they can get after Owens, but he's still got a tough race.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 10:48:35 PM »

Probably the best candidate they can get after Owens, but he's still got a tough race.

The only thing I'd like to add to that post is that he'll still lose. It's a shame but it's the truth.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 10:28:13 AM »

I'll guess that Udall will be probably be favored by a fairly significant margin over McInnis.

I think Udall has an edge of McInnis, but I don't think that edge is "fairly significant."  This is still Colorado, after all.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 11:45:07 AM »

I think Udall has an edge of McInnis, but I don't think that edge is "fairly significant."  This is still Colorado, after all.

Politics1 says that this would be a "highly competitive" race but I still think Udall is the much stronger candidate. How I'd love to be wrong...

Politics1 is also reporting that former Congressman Bob Schafer, Coors' 2004 primary opponent, is looking into another run. Expect McInnis to win that contest if it happens.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 12:43:12 PM »

McInnis would be a stronger GOP candidate.  I imagine a general election matchup would look something like this:

COLORADO SENATE -
Udall (D) 53%
McInnis (R) 45%

I imagine Udall will win about 52%-54% of the vote; McInnis around 45%-47% at best. 
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 01:44:25 PM »

McInnis came from a huge swing district in CO and was very effective during his tenure. He has a stronger personality than Owens.

Right now Udall would be favored but I seriouly think McInnis would be the best GOP candidate and he can pull out a victory.

Election, if held today
Udall: 54%
McInnis: 46%

Nov '08
McInnis: 52%
Udall: 48%
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 11:23:39 PM »

This news changes CO from Lean Dem to Tossup
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 11:59:51 PM »

It will be huge if Udall wins this seat. Colorado has turned sharply toward the Democrats over the last few years, but it has yet to elect an unqualified liberal to statewide office.

He'll be one of the very best Senators when if he wins. This McInnis guy can't stop him.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 06:59:56 PM »

It will be huge if Udall wins this seat. Colorado has turned sharply toward the Democrats over the last few years, but it has yet to elect an unqualified liberal to statewide office.

He'll be one of the very best Senators when if he wins. This McInnis guy can't stop him.

Probably so, but he could be a speed bump on Mark Udall's victory road.
Chesco ABB
Rookie
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 07:13:42 PM »

Udall's eyebrows do look a bit frightening.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 07:15:59 PM »

Ugh.  Mark Udall is an ass!  If he gets elected, he'll easily be my least favorite senator.

He looks like this ugly kid I knew in gym class in eleventh grade.

A serious question to all Coloradans, or anyone who might know: Why is Udall so favored to win the seat?  Why is he so popular?

Look at his last name.
Chesco ABB
Rookie
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 10:42:02 PM »

IIRC, Mo is Mark's father, who represented an Arizona district. I can't remember, did Stewart come from Colorado? That was a bit before my time.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies