The Hill: House GOP strategists take aim at Dem freshmen on union measure
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:48:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Hill: House GOP strategists take aim at Dem freshmen on union measure
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Hill: House GOP strategists take aim at Dem freshmen on union measure  (Read 1809 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 28, 2007, 10:13:15 AM »

By Jackie Kucinich

As House Democrats and Republicans prepare to face off on a bill touted as the first clash between business and labor in the 110th Congress, GOP strategists are eyeing vulnerable freshman Democrats who have put their name on the legislation.

Ken Spain, a spokesman for the National Republican Congressional Committee (NRCC), said that several freshmen are taking a political risk by support the legislation, which has produced sharp partisan divisions. One of its most contentious provisions would eliminate the requirement of a secret ballot for workers attempting to unionize.

“In return for half a billion dollars in contributions to Democrat candidates in 2006, [House Speaker] Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) is delivering the lock-step support of members like Heath Shuler (D-N.C.) and Nancy Boyda (D-Kan.) in an effort to destroy a worker’s right to privacy in an election,” said Spain. “Their support for such anti-worker, small-business-stifling legislation is completely out of step with their districts. This will certainly not go unnoticed for them back home.”

Helping lead the GOP effort is the Coalition for a Democratic Workplace, a group of workers, employers, associations and organizations opposing the bill. It will launch radio ads in the districts of freshman Democrats in an attempt to pressure them from the ground level.

“Our short-term goal is to make sure that members of Congress understand that voting for H.R. 800 is going to have fairly significant consequences,” said Todd Harris, who is a principal at the lobbying group Navigators and an informal spokesman for the coalition. He declined to say specifically where the ads would run.

Harris said his group does not expect the bill will become law, since it is ultimately expected to fail in the Senate. Rather, his group’s long-term goal is to “make the issue so politically radioactive that no one will touch it” in subsequent Congresses.

But freshman targets defended their sponsorship, stressing the bill’s protection of worker rights.

Shuler spokesman Andy Whalen said that the congressman’s sponsorship of the bill is consistent with his campaign promises and with his background. It also stems from his opposition to the Central American Fair Trade Agreement (CAFTA) and the North American Fair Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Whalen added.

“CAFTA and NAFTA are sending our jobs overseas and leaving workers behind. The Employee Free Choice Act is designed to help workers,” he said.

Whalen added that both Shuler and his father have belonged to unions at some time.

On her part, Boyda rejected the implication that her vote was out of step with her district.

“I have never met an American that doesn’t believe in the right to organize,” she said. “We are a working-family district. I strongly believe that people have a fundamental right to organize and that right has been severely diminished.

“I think Kansans will stand behind me,” she added.

Boyda added that before her, the district was held by several Democrats until her predecessor Rep. Jim Ryun (R-Kan.) was elected.

“The reason I’m in office has nothing to do with labels,” she said.

Another co-sponsor and frequent Republican target, Rep. Brad Ellsworth (D-Ind.), defended his stance by citing his background.

My No. 1 concern is ensuring Hoosiers have a voice in Congress,” Ellsworth said. “As the sheriff of Vanderburgh County, I backed my deputies when they sought representation because I believed they, and all American workers, should have the opportunity to work together to better their lives.”

http://www.hillnews.com/thehill/export/TheHill/News/Frontpage/022807/union.html
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 12:05:31 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2007, 12:16:21 PM by MarkWarner08 »

How is Ellsworth a frequent GOP target? He's a freshman who defeated a Republican Congressman by 22%.

Why did John McHugh sponsor this bill and Jim Walsh didn't? I though Wlash was more liberal than McHugh.  Walsh also has a substantial union population in his district.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 04:04:27 PM »

How is Ellsworth a frequent GOP target? He's a freshman who defeated a Republican Congressman by 22%.

The rationale for Ellsworth being a target seems to stem from some belief that Ellsworth couldn't possbly win by 22% in IN-08 in a presidential year and is, thus, vulnerable

In fact, Ellsworth's detractors are making much of the fact that, thus far, he's dancing lock-step with Nancy Pelosi on pretty much all and everything. Then again so have most House Democrats on most issues, be they 'liberal' or 'populist'

As it happens, he supported the 100 Hour Agenda with the exception of stem-cell research. He ran and was elected as a critic of the war in Iraq, so it was fair enough that he voted against the troop surge

Dave
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 04:45:29 PM »

The rationale for Ellsworth being a target seems to stem from some belief that Ellsworth couldn't possbly win by 22% in IN-08 in a presidential year and is, thus, vulnerable

Politicians who crush incumbents by that kind of margin don't lose, period. Even if the incumbent in question was a bit nutty (say what you will of Hostettler, but he had survived tough races before).

I'll be very surprised if this district is seriously contested next year.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 04:48:01 PM »

In fact, Ellsworth's detractors are making much of the fact that, thus far, he's dancing lock-step with Nancy Pelosi on pretty much all and everything. Then again so have most House Democrats on most issues, be they 'liberal' or 'populist'

As it happens, he supported the 100 Hour Agenda with the exception of stem-cell research. He ran and was elected as a critic of the war in Iraq, so it was fair enough that he voted against the troop surge

Dave

Ellsworth is not vulnerable.  Democrat Frank McClosky who was MUCH, MUCH more liberal than Ellsworth hung on here for years until Hostettler barely beat him in the Republican wave of 1994.  If McClosky was pro-choice, anti-death penalty, and pro-gay rights could survive for that long, Ellsworth will have little trouble.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 05:31:40 PM »

Perhaps, I didn't make myself clear. Personally, I don't think Ellsworth is vulnerable; indeed, I go far to say that any belief to the contrary is just wishful thinking. I just tried to orovide some rationale as to why the GOP consider Indiana's Eighth a target

All counties swung heavily in Ellsworth's favor. Hostettler only won Daviess (43/57) comfortably, while winning a futher three Martin, Putnam and Warren, more narrowly, (48/52)

Even, in a presidential year, while its conceivable that counties like Fountain (52/48), Greene (55/45) and Owen (53/47), might go Republican, it will be nowhere near enough to offset his strength in Vanderburgh, Vigo and smaller traditionally Democratic counties like Pike, Sullivan and Vermillion

As to whether any Republican seriously contests this district come 2008, we'll just have to wait. What I will say is that Ellsworth emphatically won this district

Dave
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 12:05:59 PM »

Perhaps, I didn't make myself clear. Personally, I don't think Ellsworth is vulnerable; indeed, I go far to say that any belief to the contrary is just wishful thinking. I just tried to orovide some rationale as to why the GOP consider Indiana's Eighth a target

All counties swung heavily in Ellsworth's favor. Hostettler only won Daviess (43/57) comfortably, while winning a futher three Martin, Putnam and Warren, more narrowly, (48/52)

Even, in a presidential year, while its conceivable that counties like Fountain (52/48), Greene (55/45) and Owen (53/47), might go Republican, it will be nowhere near enough to offset his strength in Vanderburgh, Vigo and smaller traditionally Democratic counties like Pike, Sullivan and Vermillion

As to whether any Republican seriously contests this district come 2008, we'll just have to wait. What I will say is that Ellsworth emphatically won this district

Dave

Much like to Zack Space in OH-18.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 06:26:02 PM »

Dave

Of course, Space had the 'Bob Ney Factor' assisting him; while Johnny Ho just sleepwalked to defeat. If anything his desparate attacks on Ellsworth drove voters Ellsworth's way Smiley

That said, I never expected either Ellsworth or Space to win 61-39 and 62-38, respectively, so emphatically

Can't quite recall my final prediction for IN-08 but it was well short of the final result. You know how much university polling gets panned, well Indiana State University can reap the acolades as far as this race went

Dave
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 07:41:46 PM »

Dave

Of course, Space had the 'Bob Ney Factor' assisting him; while Johnny Ho just sleepwalked to defeat. If anything his desparate attacks on Ellsworth drove voters Ellsworth's way Smiley

That said, I never expected either Ellsworth or Space to win 61-39 and 62-38, respectively, so emphatically

Can't quite recall my final prediction for IN-08 but it was well short of the final result. You know how much university polling gets panned, well Indiana State University can reap the acolades as far as this race went

Dave

The fact that Space and Ellsworth won with 62% and 61% of the vote obviously means that they were pretty good candidates.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 07:47:26 PM »

Is it really a good idea to go after Ellsworth over this? IIRC Unions are pretty strong around Terre Haute.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 08:00:15 PM »

The fact that Space and Ellsworth won with 62% and 61% of the vote obviously means that they were pretty good candidates.

Undoubtedly Smiley

Dave
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 08:05:05 PM »

Is it really a good idea to go after Ellsworth over this? IIRC Unions are pretty strong around Terre Haute.

Terre Haute hasn't always been in the Eighth has it? Reading Frank McClosky's biog on wiki, I gather the district was somewhat different in the 80s and 90s than it is now

Dave
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 08:19:32 PM »

Terre Haute hasn't always been in the Eighth has it? Reading Frank McClosky's biog on wiki, I gather the district was somewhat different in the 80s and 90s than it is now

Dave

Yeah; Terre Haute was in the old 7th. Before redistricting the 8th didn't include much the industrial/coalfield area which Eugene Debs came from and was more Evansville centred. Included Bloomington as well.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 09:53:28 PM »

This populist legislation is well in step with these poor, rural districts.  Republicans are crazy to think they can win by making it more difficult for workers to unionize.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies