Indiana Governor: Woo-Hoo, Hurrah and Huzzah!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:44:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Indiana Governor: Woo-Hoo, Hurrah and Huzzah!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Indiana Governor: Woo-Hoo, Hurrah and Huzzah!  (Read 4500 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 02, 2007, 01:16:57 PM »

One of my all-time favorites may get in this thing.  She would be an OUTSTANDING Governor!!!!!!

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (AP)  Former Indiana Congresswoman Jill Long Thompson says she's considering whether to launch a campaign for the Democratic nomination for governor in 2008. The 54-year-old Thompson represented the 4th Congressional district in northeast Indiana from 1989 to 1995. She says she's talked with many people who have encouraged her to enter the race.

Republican Governor Mitch Daniels hasn't said whether he will seek a second term, but has maintained an active campaign office. On the Democratic side, State Senate Minority Leader Richard Young announced in December that he would run for governor. And Indianapolis architect Jim Schellinger also says he's considering a campaign for the Democratic nomination.
(Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 03:11:14 PM »

Jill Long Thompson should be a strong candidate.  I thought that surely Tim Roemer would be running as well. 
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 04:00:01 PM »

Jill Long Thompson should be a strong candidate.  I thought that surely Tim Roemer would be running as well. 

Don't two consecutive losses kinda dull the sheen?
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 05:27:48 PM »

More than two.  She lost to Quayle ages ago in a Senate race.  She narrowly defeated Dan Heath for the right to succeed Dan Coats in the HOR, when Quayle became VEEP and Coats got his Senate seat.  She then won a few House elections before being defeated by that little miscreant, Mark Souder.  (If there were ever a poster child for a smartass little coward who got beat up on the school bus, it's Souder.)

When the districts were reorganized, Jill challenged Chris Chocoloa and lost. 

So yeah, she's lost several races.  But she remains one of the most articulate, bright and capable politicians in either party.  She can't get elected because she's pro-choice.  Simple as that. 

But I think her supporters believe that will be less important to Hoosiers in a Gubernatorial race.  Bayh and O'Bannon were pro-choice, too. 

Right now, Indiana is flush with brilliant Democrats -- Tim Roemer, Evan Bayh, Baron Hill, Joe Donnelly, Brad Ellsworth, Joe Kernan, Bart Peterson, Jonathan Weinzapfel, Graham Richard and Jill Long-Thompson.  Out of this entire field, Long-Thompson is the smartest and hardest-working. 

Doesn't mean Hoosiers will see it that way.  We put Dan Quayle and Dan Coats in the Senate.  We keep re-electing Mark Souder and Dan Burton.  Mitch Daniels is our governor.  Still, I am hopeful we'll remember the days of positive economic news, when Bayh and O'Bannon ran things.  And maybe Indiana will shift back to the center.

JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 05:29:25 PM »

He may be.  And he'd be a great one as well.  Other names mentioned are Baron Hill and Jonathan Weinzapfel.  I don't even know if Joe Kernan has ruled out a run for sure.

Any of them would be good.  But I'm partial to Jill.  She was the best Congressional Representative I ever had.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 10:53:25 PM »

This is very, very good news.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 11:35:45 AM »

Yes, it is.  It means, whoever runs for the Democrats, we'll be rid of Daniels and his bungling, imbecilic tribe of incompetents.  And we'll be back to the solid, reliable governance we enjoyed under Evan Bayh, Frank O'Bannon and Joe Kernan.

I hope it's Jill.  But I'll be just as happy to see a Governor Tim Roemer or a Governor Jon Weinzapfel in Indianapolis.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 12:22:50 PM »

Yes, it is.  It means, whoever runs for the Democrats, we'll be rid of Daniels and his bungling, imbecilic tribe of incompetents.  And we'll be back to the solid, reliable governance we enjoyed under Evan Bayh, Frank O'Bannon and Joe Kernan.

I hope it's Jill.  But I'll be just as happy to see a Governor Tim Roemer or a Governor Jon Weinzapfel in Indianapolis.

What about Governor Julia Carson?

I think her age would be used against her in the campaign.

Carson's health seems far from good either. There have been occasions when she has seriously been incapacitated. Besides, I don't see her as a viable statewide candidate

Dave
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 12:48:27 PM »

Julia Carson would be even better news.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 12:58:58 PM »

Julia Carson would be even better news.

Given that she won by only 54%-46% last year and her district is reliably Democratic, I expect Carson to be pressured to retire or to face a competetive Primary challenge next year.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 06:26:45 PM »

I think her age would be used against her in the campaign.

Julia Carson is the only Indiana Democrat I don't like.  She's got the Bella Abzug funny hats -- without the populist appeal. 
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2007, 07:57:42 PM »

I wish Brad Ellsworth would run for Governor. He is one of my favorite Freshman! He is a former Sheriff and I have a great respect for law enforcement. If he runs for governor, he could be a viable Presidential Candidate one day!!!

James

Ellsworth would make a very promising gubanatorial or Senate (should Lugar retire in 2012, when he'll turn 80) candidate but, as far as presidential prospects go, many liberal Democrats may find him just too socially conservative

Still, as far as his political career goes, beyond being a Sheriff, we'll need more time to get a better picture of him but I certainly feel Ellsworth has the potential to move on to greater things. Given his margin of victory over Hostettler, he was an exceptionally good candidate to run and win big in a socially conservative district

Dave
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2007, 02:25:15 PM »

The 54-year-old Thompson represented the 4th Congressional district in northeast Indiana from 1989 to 1995.

Wasn't she one of the members who the spittle crowd kooked out of office in the '94 "election"?

In any event, Daniels must go. Now that Bill Owens is gone, Daniels might be the worst governor in America.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 06:32:24 PM »

The 54-year-old Thompson represented the 4th Congressional district in northeast Indiana from 1989 to 1995.

Wasn't she one of the members who the spittle crowd kooked out of office in the '94 "election"?

In any event, Daniels must go. Now that Bill Owens is gone, Daniels might be the worst governor in America.

Yep.  Jill lost in 1994 to Mark Souder.  During her time in office, she authored, co-authored and co-sponsored legislation to increase funding for the V-A...to secure land and funds for Fort Wayne International Airport (the trade zone she helped gain recognition for around the airport made it an "international")...to put thousands more cops on the streets across the country and hundreds more in her district...to increase funding for WIC...to strengthen small, family farms...  and that's just off the top of my head.

Her successor -- has authored one piece of original legislation since taking office 12 years ago.  It was a measure aimed at removing the visage of Franklin Roosevelt from the dime and replacing it with that of Ronald Reagan. Souder's rationale?  He claims Roosevelt was one of the worst Presidents in U.S. history and has no business receiving honor for anything.  When a reporter asked if he understood the significance of Roosevelt being on the dime, of all coins, he didn't have a clue.

Souder has done NOTHING since beating Long (now, Long-Thompson).  He's on some House Committees on the drug problem in America and he's really freaked out by the thought of legalizing pot.  I might even agree with him on that but I can't imagine making that -- and criminalizing abortion, of course -- the legacy I would want to leave behind.

Of 435 members of the House of Representatives, I can't think of a bigger imbecile than Mark Souder.  When Jill was in, I put her in the top 20.

She was runner up to Dan Glickman for the job of Secretary of Agriculture in the Clinton Administration.  After a very graceful exit from office, she became Undersecretary in that Department and did a damn fine job.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2007, 11:53:49 AM »

Her successor -- has authored one piece of original legislation since taking office 12 years ago.  It was a measure aimed at removing the visage of Franklin Roosevelt from the dime and replacing it with that of Ronald Reagan.

Sounds to me that Souder is a complete utter waste of space Roll Eyes. Still, he can't be the only politician who subscribes to the 'bum on a seat' ethic

Dave
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2007, 01:49:28 PM »

Her successor -- has authored one piece of original legislation since taking office 12 years ago.  It was a measure aimed at removing the visage of Franklin Roosevelt from the dime and replacing it with that of Ronald Reagan.

Sounds to me that Souder is a complete utter waste of space Roll Eyes. Still, he can't be the only politician who subscribes to the 'bum on a seat' ethic

Dave

He is a waste of space.  Yet he's enormously popular in this district.  Voters here are extremely fundamentalist and seem to care about three things only -- 1.  Banning all abortions  2.  Marginalizing homosexuals and taking away their rights.  3.  Cutting or eliminating taxes for all people, especially the fabulously rich.

Souder is on top of all three issues as far as the voters here are concerned.

On the war, he's Bush's biggest cheerleader.  This, despite the fact that he dodged service in Vietnam because the church he was a member of at the time (Apostolic) taught that war was immoral. 

Frankly, I think he's worse than Bush and as bad as Cheney.  But that's probably just me.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2007, 02:18:54 PM »

Voters here are extremely fundamentalist and seem to care about three things only -- 1.  Banning all abortions  2.  Marginalizing homosexuals and taking away their rights.  3.  Cutting or eliminating taxes for all people, especially the fabulously rich.

You just described my district exactly!...which is red and getting redder! Cry

GET ME OUTTA HEEEEERRRRREEEEE!!!!! Angry

Before you leave, find one or two people you can plant some seeds with.  Even here in Fundieland, Indiana, there are a handful of conservatives who think.  I listen to their point of view, try to find some common ground or at least disagree civilly and then present my point of view.  I particularly like to apply Scripture, because -- as people like Jim Wallis, Ron Sider, Tony Campolo and others have pointed out -- the Scriptures say far more about the poor and the oppressed than about fetuses or homosexuals. 

Most of the fundies don't even listen.  One even said, "Jesus was a wimp.  I am more of a God the Father guy -- he destroyed Sodom."  (<barf>)

But a few have said, "You know, I had no idea the Bible was so full of concern for social justice."  (Their clergy refuse to preach it or are, themselves, ignorant.)  I'll never get them to vote Democrat probably.  But they don't hate us anymore.  And a few of em come around.

Be a subversive, So Cal!  :-)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2007, 03:40:38 PM »

Dave

He is a waste of space.  Yet he's enormously popular in this district.  Voters here are extremely fundamentalist and seem to care about three things only -- 1.  Banning all abortions  2.  Marginalizing homosexuals and taking away their rights.  3.  Cutting or eliminating taxes for all people, especially the fabulously rich.

Souder is on top of all three issues as far as the voters here are concerned.

On the war, he's Bush's biggest cheerleader.  This, despite the fact that he dodged service in Vietnam because the church he was a member of at the time (Apostolic) taught that war was immoral. 

Frankly, I think he's worse than Bush and as bad as Cheney.  But that's probably just me.

Souder was re-elected by a significantly lower margin in 2006 though.  55%-45% I think?  Down from his 2004 win of 69%-31%?
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2007, 03:53:27 PM »

I can't see Souder's name mentioned without getting mad.

Souder is the piece of garbage who (retroactively, no less) revoked college aid from students who had been busted for grass when they were 15, for crying out loud!

Do murderers get their aid revoked? NO!

Do child molesters get their aid revoked? NO!

But because one of sniffling little fascist named Mark Souder, some kid who got caught with weed gets their aid revoked...FOREVER!!!

According to Mark Souder, every person in this big, mean world is stoned off their rocker. Except Mark Souder, of course.

The taxpayers give school funds to serial bullies...but not kids with ONE pot offense. All due to Souder.

And the thing is, this is all Mark Souder talks about. By denying aid to students who smoked pot ONCE, he is in fact helping bullies.

And worse yet, Souder got to Congress all because of the treason-committing spittle crowd that ruled talk radio in 1994 (and continues to rule it).

I would love the chance to tell Mark Souder what I think of him right to his ugly little face. I know I'm not only the person who feels this way. I just had to say what I feel in public, because I can't put up with morons like this getting into office and telling me they have a mandate to purposely hurt people for no good reason (while not batting an eye at people who do far worse).
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2007, 03:57:17 PM »

Souder was re-elected by a significantly lower margin in 2006 though.  55%-45% I think?  Down from his 2004 win of 69%-31%?

54-46 over a Fort Wayne city councilman. His margin in 2004 may have been inflated because of this:

... stage fright forced Democratic challenger Maria Parra to walk off the stage during a campaign debate. "I'm not used to being in front of the camera," Parra said. "I was just overwhelmed."

But it is a very Republican district, voting 66 percent for George W. Bush in 2000 and 68 percent in 2004. Just the kind of place that would be happy electing this guy:

As an undergraduate at Indiana University, he wore a button, "I'm proud to be a square."
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2007, 04:10:55 PM »

Maria Parra did run off the stage in the televised debate.  She seemed like she was going to cry.  In fairness, Souder was cordial to her.  Earlier in his career, he would have ridiculed her.

The man who ran against him this past year, Dr. Tom Hayhurst, is outstanding and should have won.  But Hayhurst is still pro-choice.  And no pro-choice candidate ever gets election in IN-2, IN-3 or IN-4.  Probably not in IN-5 either.

The only reason Jill Long-Thompson lasted as long as she did, being pro-choice, is that she won in a special election in 1989.  The next few elections saw her win because she did such a damn good job, she got every D and Independent vote in the district plus enough R's.  (Her opponent in 1990 was a guy who called her "Little Lady" in the debates.  And in 1992, she was challenged by a local televangelist. It all changed in 1994 when Souder
rode the GOP wave.  It also helped that in the 1992 campaign, the televangelist damaged Long by allowing his supporters to accuse her of practicing witchcraft and lesbianism.  She was single at the time.  And a devout Methodist.  She is now married. 
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2007, 04:37:57 PM »

Some faces were made to have pies ground into them.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2007, 10:09:40 PM »

to secure land and funds for Fort Wayne International Airport (the trade zone she helped gain recognition for around the airport made it an "international")

Hehe, like that's something to brag about... Fort Wayne "International" is in just about one of the worst places for an airport to be Tongue

(for those not in the know, it's in the middle of a bunch of corn fields, away from any major highways... or really any large roads in general)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2007, 12:21:18 AM »

to secure land and funds for Fort Wayne International Airport (the trade zone she helped gain recognition for around the airport made it an "international")

Hehe, like that's something to brag about... Fort Wayne "International" is in just about one of the worst places for an airport to be Tongue

(for those not in the know, it's in the middle of a bunch of corn fields, away from any major highways... or really any large roads in general)

I won't argue that.  FWI is not designed or meant as a pleasure destination.  (Don't get me wrong, I like Fort Wayne okay -- but seriously -- I can't see anyone coming here for more than a day trip.)

But if you're doing business with International Truck & Engineering, Vera Bradley Designs, Lincoln Life, Rea Magnet Wire, Phelps Dodge, ITT Aerospace or Raytheon...the airport is a godsend.  Indianapolis is a good two hour drive.  (And the Indy airport sucks, too, as far as ammenities.)

Also, about 40 minutes west of Fort Wayne, you will find the heart of the nation's orthopedic medical implant industry.  There are now four or five firms in, or near, Warsaw, Indiana that depend on FWI.

So Jill Long-Thompson was right to help the airport get that "international" tag...even though it certainly does sound silly.  With an international designation, there are numerous business advantages for companies flying in and out. 
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2007, 02:26:56 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I am going to start celebrating his birthday now.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies