The White House
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:15:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The White House
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The White House  (Read 3655 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 05, 2007, 03:16:02 PM »

Special announcement from the White House

There will be no immediate changes to the current cabinet. However there will be a major policy announcement in the following days.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 03:20:29 PM »

There will be no immediate changes to the current cabinet.

Will they need to be re-confirmed?
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 05:32:11 PM »

There will be no immediate changes to the current cabinet.

Will they need to be re-confirmed?

Yes, all cabinet officers are subject to advice and consent at the time of reappointment.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 12:22:27 PM »

The policy has been drafted. The announcement will be made as soon as is possible. I am also preparing to address the nation directly as a consequence.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 01:24:26 PM »

b]Executive Order for the establishment of the Presidential Advisory Council[/b]

1. The Presidential Advisory Council is hereby established.

2. The Presidential Advisory Council shall be composed of 8 members; 7 ‘councillors’ and the Vice President.

3. The Presidential Advisory Council shall, upon it’s inception, establish the reach of it’s executive authority, the rules and procedures of the council and a system of elections to the council.

4a. The Presidential Advisory Council is granted the right, through the President, to suggest legislation (in the form of a ‘White Paper’) for the President and the Senate’s consideration.

4b. The Presidential Advisory Council is granted the right, through the President, to draft legislation on request of the President.

4c. The Presidential Advisory Council is granted the right, through the President, to propose suitable nominees for vacant Cabinet and Supreme Court positions and for any vacancy to the Vice President, for the President to consider should the situation arise.

5. The Presidential Advisory Council shall elect, from its number, a convenor to organise Council business as defined by the Council upon the adoption of council rules and procedures.

6. The President of Atlasia shall retain the power of veto over all council business.

7. The Vice President of Atlasia shall Chair the Presidential Advisory Council.

8. The President of Atlasia shall establish the means and methods of election and appointment to the first session of the council only. The election and all subsequent elections shall be managed by the Secretary of Forum Affairs.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 01:33:32 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2007, 01:37:05 PM by Jas »

From the AG Senate Confirmation Hearing:
I resign as Attorney General.  I just dont have enough time to devote to my role right now.

I believe this nominee is qualified for the position, but am curious if the administration is aware that he resigned and that during the end of the previous administration this position was vacant.

Was the administration aware of BrandonW's resignation?
Was BrandonW formally asked to return to the AG's position?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 01:55:08 PM »

From the AG Senate Confirmation Hearing:
I resign as Attorney General.  I just dont have enough time to devote to my role right now.

I believe this nominee is qualified for the position, but am curious if the administration is aware that he resigned and that during the end of the previous administration this position was vacant.

Was the administration aware of BrandonW's resignation?
Was BrandonW formally asked to return to the AG's position?

My apologies. I will put forward a new nominee for the position.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 09:01:31 PM »

b]Executive Order for the establishment of the Presidential Advisory Council[/b]

1. The Presidential Advisory Council is hereby established.

2. The Presidential Advisory Council shall be composed of 8 members; 7 ‘councillors’ and the Vice President.

3. The Presidential Advisory Council shall, upon it’s inception, establish the reach of it’s executive authority, the rules and procedures of the council and a system of elections to the council.

4a. The Presidential Advisory Council is granted the right, through the President, to suggest legislation (in the form of a ‘White Paper’) for the President and the Senate’s consideration.

4b. The Presidential Advisory Council is granted the right, through the President, to draft legislation on request of the President.

4c. The Presidential Advisory Council is granted the right, through the President, to propose suitable nominees for vacant Cabinet and Supreme Court positions and for any vacancy to the Vice President, for the President to consider should the situation arise.

5. The Presidential Advisory Council shall elect, from its number, a convenor to organise Council business as defined by the Council upon the adoption of council rules and procedures.

6. The President of Atlasia shall retain the power of veto over all council business.

7. The Vice President of Atlasia shall Chair the Presidential Advisory Council.

8. The President of Atlasia shall establish the means and methods of election and appointment to the first session of the council only. The election and all subsequent elections shall be managed by the Secretary of Forum Affairs.

Uh, I don't think we have enough active members on Atlasia to accommodate 7 new positions Tongue
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 09:06:10 PM »

Uh, I don't think we have enough active members on Atlasia to accommodate 7 new positions Tongue

Check the thread where he announced this in the Fantasy Election board. He said that this would probably fall outside of the no office-holders rule.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 09:10:10 PM »

Check the thread where he announced this in the Fantasy Election board. He said that this would probably fall outside of the no office-holders rule.

Well, seeing how psychotically strictly the "no two offices" rule has been applied in the past... Tongue

(except to Senator Chief of Staff Mike Naso, o/c)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 12:44:25 AM »

Well, seeing how psychotically strictly the "no two offices" rule has been applied in the past... Tongue

(except to Senator Chief of Staff Mike Naso, o/c)

Well, its not like Senator Chief of Staff Mike Naso was actually performing his duties in either of those offices, so I really don't think it made a difference.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 01:11:24 AM »

"In order to exercise their powers, all officers of the Federal government must first be sworn into office."

It seems to me, the test would be: are they expected to swear in to exercise any powers? If so, they would be subject to the "no two offices" rule. If not, they would not have two conflicting sets of powers.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 01:13:07 AM »

"In order to exercise their powers, all officers of the Federal government must first be sworn into office."

It seems to me, the test would be: are they expected to swear in to exercise any powers? If so, they would be subject to the "no two offices" rule. If not, they would not have two conflicting sets of powers.
Do they have any power to exercise to merit a "swearing in"...

I didnt see lynn swann or Arnold having a legitimate swear in for the president's council on fitness.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 01:48:31 AM »
« Edited: March 08, 2007, 02:50:17 AM by TCash101 »

Do they have any power to exercise to merit a "swearing in"...

I didnt see lynn swann or Arnold having a legitimate swear in for the president's council on fitness.

Well, it seems they are given "rights" by the President. Of course, if this right is only of a suggestive nature, every citizen has the right to make suggestions.

But if members have a "right to draft legislation on the request of the President," and if those members are Senators, is there an ethical conflict of roles in that Senators are charged with serving consituents, not the executive branch?

And if this committee is only advisory, and without powers, why would the President need to "6...retain the power of veto over all council business."

The President is charged with the "executive powers," and those powers may be quite broad, but some of these proposals seem to be quasi-legislative, not executive. The words "right" and "retain power of veto over" seem to imply some legal force, so legally, I'm unsure.

But we have Presidential advisors who share executive powers, we have Senators with legislative powers. Especialy if Senators are involved, this committee could blur a line between the legislative and executive functions (as does a parliamentary system).

If they are entirely advisory, I just don't see the point in creating operating procedures and election guidelines. As constituents, are we not all advisors to our elected leaders?

EDIT: Sorry, one more observation:

The Senate is empowered "To create the Executive Departments as it may deem necessary and to assign duties to their officers. "

so it's possible it would be necessary for the Senate to approve of:

TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2007, 02:06:46 AM »

I'm sorry, I have great respect for the President, but when I voted afleitch, I did not envision more bureaucracy with more "rights" to advise without any actual responsibility. We need for more of the executive advisors and the legislators to take responsibility for the offices they hold, not create new positions that may or may not fill those functions.

No offense intended to those several Senators who do work hard.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2007, 01:43:38 PM »

I nominate bullmoose for Attorney General
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2007, 02:23:56 PM »

Excellent choice!
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2007, 02:27:47 PM »

I nominate 'Cosmo Kramer' to be the Secretary of External Affairs. I commend him to the Senate.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2007, 02:47:47 PM »

You just made Ban Ki-moon cry
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2007, 11:17:58 AM »

Is that an official confirmed Gmmy statement?

Good. I much prefer Kofi Annan.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2007, 11:38:05 AM »

Is that an official confirmed Gmmy statement?

Yep.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2007, 11:40:24 AM »

Actually, I can't recall our ambassador to the UN accepting Ban Ki-Moon, so I doubt he's even in office. Wink
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2007, 11:42:11 AM »

Actually, I can't recall our ambassador to the UN accepting Ban Ki-Moon, so I doubt he's even in office. Wink

Yeah, well, I made up the reality that makes him in office now. Or something.

Stop pointing out obvious flaws in the game setup, you Tongue
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2007, 11:57:57 AM »

Alright, I've decided to trust you. After all, "I'd rather trust a Welshman, a lawyer, or a thief than a priest" (you could get sentenced for saying that under Laud Cheesy ).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2007, 12:16:43 PM »

Fool Tongue Grin

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Will (roughly) half-Welsh do?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Funny if not even slightly surprising Grin
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies