Daylight Savings Time
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:05:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Daylight Savings Time
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Should the government have changed it?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Daylight Savings Time  (Read 2250 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 10, 2007, 11:08:42 PM »

I say No - it was fine the way it was.  Although this year, nobody has an excuse that they forgot - b/c everybody's reminding everybody b/c it's different.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 11:36:04 PM »

The shift in the fall was particularly needed. Halloween is the most dangerous night for children when they are frequently crossing busy streets. Extending DST until the following weekend in November is a good sense change.

I don't have as strong a feeling about the spring shift. I'll see how it goes this year.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 11:55:55 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2007, 11:57:50 PM by Lt. Gov. & ACA Vice-Chair Inks.LWC »

The shift in the fall was particularly needed. Halloween is the most dangerous night for children when they are frequently crossing busy streets. Extending DST until the following weekend in November is a good sense change.

I don't have as strong a feeling about the spring shift. I'll see how it goes this year.

I did forget about that - changing my answer now.

EDIT: I forgot to vote the 1st time- voting Yes.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 12:02:15 AM »

I don't really care that much one way or the other.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 01:13:03 AM »

I agree. (The law to change it was industry-backed, by the way.)

But I'd be less concerned about it if they'd just move my area to Central Time where it belongs.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 01:31:58 AM »

Nope, but for different reasons. They basically changed it because they did in the US.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 01:53:14 AM »

Nope, but for different reasons. They basically changed it because they did in the US.

Makes sense.  I figure the times in the two countries should be in alignment. 
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007, 06:08:08 AM »

DST = annoying.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007, 08:48:18 AM »

Any reasonable step we can take to use less energy is a plus.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007, 08:57:04 AM »

I work in the IT field. I was real busy last week. But the guys running our mail servers (Exchange) but super busy. We'll see how well things go on Monday. But if anything goes wrong, it's all George Bush's fault. Tongue
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007, 04:07:31 PM »

It's really a non-issue either way it goes.  However, it is nice that I will have 3 weeks less of having to drive into the sun while going to work this year.  Tongue
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 04:12:54 PM »

The shift in the fall was not needed.  So what if the kids have to walk in the dark on Halloween.

Now the kids have to walk to school in the dark for an even longer time 5 days a week.  That is more dangerous.

If congress had had their way originally, we'd have DST until late November, in which case, the sun would rise here around 9am, about 90 minutes after most kids are getting to school.

I think they should have left it the way it was.  It won't save energy.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2007, 05:32:36 PM »

How does adjusting hours save energy?? Huh
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2007, 06:07:12 PM »

Now the kids have to walk to school in the dark for an even longer time 5 days a week.  That is more dangerous.

Kids walk to school Huh Wink

However, I do not support the change because I support the abolition of DST (I seem to be, horribly, reprehensibly, one of those creatures called a "morning person", so I appreciate the extra sun when I start my weekday).  That said, if we do have DST, to extend it that extra week in the fall seems to make sense.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2007, 10:39:18 PM »

The idea that since we've largely become so dependent on the clock instead of the sun to regulate our lives to adjust the clock so that more hours of daylight occur when we are awake, thereby saving energy on lighting and to a lesser degree heating.

For those of us in the south other than being an inconvenience, Daylight Savings doesn't accomplish much, but in a place such as Philadelphia, home of Benjamin Franklin, to whom DST proponents like to attribute this idea, it makes more sense since in the summer they have about three months summer in which the sun rises before 5am, standard time.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2007, 10:40:01 PM »

If Daylight Savings Time is so much better than Standard Time, I say just move the clocks ahead, and leave them there permanently, all year long.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2007, 12:46:06 AM »

If we abolished DST, the sun would rise in northern Minnesota around 3:30am and set at 8:30pm... nobody lives on a schedule of 3:30am-8:30pm... an hour later is nominally better.

But to push it back so that kids are walking to school in the dark is just not a good idea.(yes, we're not in the suburbs where sidewalks are rare and walking much too physical, so children actually have to walk to school if they live anywhere from 1-2 miles from the school building).
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2007, 06:50:48 AM »

If we abolished DST, the sun would rise in northern Minnesota around 3:30am and set at 8:30pm... nobody lives on a schedule of 3:30am-8:30pm... an hour later is nominally better.

But to push it back so that kids are walking to school in the dark is just not a good idea.(yes, we're not in the suburbs where sidewalks are rare and walking much too physical, so children actually have to walk to school if they live anywhere from 1-2 miles from the school building).

It rises that early up there? Seriously. Wow, even during the summer time the sun never rises before about 5:45 am and it sets at about 9:15pm here. The winter the sun rises about 6:30isAM standard and sets about 5:45ishPM.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2007, 06:52:17 AM »

The idea that since we've largely become so dependent on the clock instead of the sun to regulate our lives to adjust the clock so that more hours of daylight occur when we are awake, thereby saving energy on lighting and to a lesser degree heating.

For those of us in the south other than being an inconvenience, Daylight Savings doesn't accomplish much, but in a place such as Philadelphia, home of Benjamin Franklin, to whom DST proponents like to attribute this idea, it makes more sense since in the summer they have about three months summer in which the sun rises before 5am, standard time.

Yeah, I forgot it's so different in the south then way up north. I can see there point on that I suppose.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2007, 06:53:35 AM »

(yes, we're not in the suburbs where sidewalks are rare and walking much too physical, so children actually have to walk to school if they live anywhere from 1-2 miles from the school building).

It's the same in the suburbs as well.  Rural areas tend to lack sidewalks, not suburbs.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2007, 07:07:00 AM »

(yes, we're not in the suburbs where sidewalks are rare and walking much too physical, so children actually have to walk to school if they live anywhere from 1-2 miles from the school building).

It's the same in the suburbs as well.  Rural areas tend to lack sidewalks, not suburbs.

We live in the city limits and don't have sidwalks. Tongue
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2007, 07:13:53 AM »

We live in the city limits and don't have sidwalks. Tongue

OMG U SUXORZ!  (Did I do that right?)
Rococo4

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2007, 11:19:48 PM »

If Daylight Savings Time is so much better than Standard Time, I say just move the clocks ahead, and leave them there permanently, all year long.

agreed totally.  It should be done away with.  Losing an hour of sleep is the worst.
Jacobtm

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2007, 06:15:51 AM »

Clocks should just be set to noon and made to adjust themselves every day so that noon is when the sun is at its apex. We went to the moon. We have Hydrogen Bombs. We've cloned nearly everything. We can do this clock thing.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2007, 06:59:25 AM »

Clocks should just be set to noon and made to adjust themselves every day so that noon is when the sun is at its apex.

That would be very confusing, since you would depend on all clocks to change each day.  When sailing overseas and bouncing through various timezones, even though you were on "ship time" your internal body clock was on real time.  It made some people completely wiped out since they couldn't adjust to a constantly changing daylight schedule.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies