The effect of the Attorney firings scandal on Domenici and Wilson
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:06:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The effect of the Attorney firings scandal on Domenici and Wilson
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will either of them lose or not run for re-election in 2008?
Both

Wilson

Domenici

Neither

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 16

Author Topic: The effect of the Attorney firings scandal on Domenici and Wilson  (Read 1674 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 14, 2007, 02:57:16 AM »

Will the US Attorney firings scandal eventually lead to the downfall of Heather Wilson and Pete Domenici?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 10:38:32 AM »

Kyl, too, though he's not up for reelection again until 2012.

I doubt it'll have much impact, but I can hope.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 12:08:52 PM »

It seems like something that's way too obscure for the public to care too much about.
RBH

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 12:18:01 PM »

It can be simplified as this

"
  • and [y] got a U.S. attorney fired because he didn't do their bidding"
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 05:24:05 PM »

Only Wilson, though it could possibly force Domenici into retirement.

The funniest aspect of this scandal: certain posters on this website were strongly supporting Wilson's reelection because she wasn't a "machine hack," and was more "independent" than her opponent. Roll Eyes
Deano963

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 06:12:13 PM »

Wilson is toast. She was already going to face another extremely tough challenge in '08 which she would have been only 50/50 to win had this scandal not happened - with this scandal she is as good as gone.

With Domenici, it depends on how big the scandal gets. It is starting to snowball in the MSM. The fact that today John Sununu of all people has called for AG Gonzales to resign is sure to make this story get even bigger. The expected testimony of DOJ officials and maybe even Karl Rove could turn this scandal - which did not sem so big at first - into a huge deal, even bigger than PlameGate. Domenici is very popular in NM, and even though he has already been tarnished by this affair, it would need to get bigger for even a top-tier Dem to be able defeat him. Of course there is also the very real possibility that he is forced into early retirement before this is over.

If it becomes clear to Domenici that Wilson is headed for certain defeat in '08, look for Domenici to retire. It's no secret he has been grooming her to replace him, and has been holding the seat for her. He probably only decided to seek reelection in '08 b/c he didn't think Wilson could have held the Senate seat for the republicans had he retired, given that '08 is shaping up to be another anti-Republican year, at least mildly so. If his hand-picked predecessor is headed for defeat, he might just call it a day.

How does this affect Jon Kyl?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 06:51:46 PM »

Nate (who o/c voted for Wilson last year) mentioned this to me in a series of emails about a week ago:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 06:57:01 PM »

CNN reported yesterday that Kyl had also called up and possibly pressured Iglesias. That seems a little odd, given that it's a New Mexico scandal, but he is from a neighboring state.
Deano963

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 07:07:35 PM »

CNN reported yesterday that Kyl had also called up and possibly pressured Iglesias. That seems a little odd, given that it's a New Mexico scandal, but he is from a neighboring state.

I had not heard baout that. Why didn't Iglesias say that Kyl had called him as well when he testified?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 09:45:47 PM »

I had not heard baout that. Why didn't Iglesias say that Kyl had called him as well when he testified?

Maybe it was only a passing phone call or something, otherwise irrelevant. Kyl was only mentioned in conjunction; he may not have been involved.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 02:52:18 AM »

Wilson is for sure done after this.  I doubt she'll manage to be re-elected and even if she is her statewide chances are completely shot.  Sen. Domenici's chances will depend on how long his name stays in the spotlight in connection with the scandal in both the national and NM press.  I don't think he will be defeated in 2008 though.  He will either win or retire.

If his hand-picked predecessor is headed for defeat, he might just call it a day.
Huh
Deano963, I think the word you were looking for here is successor not predecessor.  Domenici's predecessor was former Sen. Clinton Anderson.

One last thing.  If this scandal becomes serious enough that it forces Domenici to resign before his term is up, this would unexpectedly thrust Gov. Bill Richardson into the national spotlight as he would be responsible for appointing a replacement until the election is held.  His choice could affect his chances in the Democratic primary and possibly the general election.
Deano963

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 02:29:14 PM »

Wilson is for sure done after this.  I doubt she'll manage to be re-elected and even if she is her statewide chances are completely shot.  Sen. Domenici's chances will depend on how long his name stays in the spotlight in connection with the scandal in both the national and NM press.  I don't think he will be defeated in 2008 though.  He will either win or retire.

If his hand-picked predecessor is headed for defeat, he might just call it a day.
Huh
Deano963, I think the word you were looking for here is successor not predecessor.  Domenici's predecessor was former Sen. Clinton Anderson.

LOL - thanks for pointing that out, my mistake. Can't believe I mixed those two up.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies