Senator Sununu
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:28:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Senator Sununu
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Senator Sununu  (Read 1778 times)
Jacobtm

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 15, 2007, 06:54:51 PM »

What're his chances? I think he'll probably end up going down, but I don't know as much about his situation as others on this board inevitably do.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 07:01:58 PM »

He'll be on of our top 3 targets. NH is rapidly moving towards the Democrats.
Deano963

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 07:26:05 PM »

We have a golden opportunity to take him out (conservative republican Senator who grows increasingly out-of-step with his Dem-trending state) , but it obviously has a great deal to do with who the eventual Dem candidate is.

I sincerely hope Shaheen eventually enters the race. I think she could win, I think she'd make a good Senator, and we need a few more ladies in the Senate.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 07:54:42 PM »

He seems to be wising up to the fact that he is vulnerable.  I think that had a lot to do with him being the first Republican to call for Alberto Gonzales to resign after this whole Justice Dept. scandal.  The question is, will New Hampshirians (?) be receptive to this come 2008 or will they "throw the baggage out" like they did in 2006.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 07:59:10 PM »

and we need a few more ladies in the Senate.

Such as Katherine Harris?

oh god please no
Deano963

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 08:24:39 PM »

and we need a few more ladies in the Senate.

Such as Katherine Harris?

I said ladies. Not corrupt, airhead bimbos who look like they had a head-on collision with a Revlon truck.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 12:13:50 AM »

hopefully he wins.  a favorite of mine!
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 04:22:35 AM »

I don't think Shaheen will run.  Plus she doesn't seem to have been the most popular governor... her ratings were always kind of middling but, then, its tough to be followed by the likes of John Lynch.  Someone said that Lynch is conservative--is that true?  He seems like a fairly conventional Democrat to me, one who is not particularly partisan and takes a fairly rational approach to governance...

Anyway, I'm intrigued by ex-astronaut and Med school Professor Jay Buckey.  Katrina Swett and Steve Marchand will make it a competitive primary.  The crowded NH primary will probably be a good thing because it will ensure the winner is well-tested and probably won't be particularly negative because there's no big-shot frontrunner. 

If Shaheen were to opt in, though, I bet she'd clear the field.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 04:38:27 AM »

I think Steve Marchand would be a good Democratic candidate.  And I think Sununu is one of the most vulnerable Senators in the country; New Hampshire should be the Democrats' no. 2 pickup after Colorado - and possibly there no. 1.  People are already discussing Sununu as the 'Santorum of 2008' - I am not sure whether that is true but he definitely is vulnerable.  At the moment I see the Democrats' best pickup opportunties as:

1. Colorado
2. New Hampshire
3. Minnesota
4. Oregon
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 08:19:26 AM »

I don't know about the high vulnerability of Sununu here are the Congressional Quarterly rankings. http://www.cqpolitics.com/risk_rating_senate.html. I still rank Coleman ahead of Sununu as vulnerable, unless Shaheen jumps in. We will have to wait and see a poll out of NH concerning the race.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 08:58:03 AM »

I don't know about the high vulnerability of Sununu here are the Congressional Quarterly rankings. http://www.cqpolitics.com/risk_rating_senate.html. I still rank Coleman ahead of Sununu as vulnerable, unless Shaheen jumps in. We will have to wait and see a poll out of NH concerning the race.

I think New Hampshire just edges Minnesota on two counts.  First, because Coleman seems to be more popular than Sununu and also because the quality of candidates in New Hampshire seems better than in Minnesota - I just think Al Franken is too much of a loose cannon to run.  Plus, 46% of Minnesotans already have a negative impression of him.  I do not know much about Mike Ciresi - but he does not strike me as a great candidate.

There is also the fact that New Hampshire appears to be swinging Democratic recently and the overwhelmingly popular Democratic Governor John Lynch is on the ballot again in 2008. 
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 09:04:30 AM »

I think that until Jean Shaheen jumps in, I don't think  the Dems as of yet can take Sununu down. I think the candidates running on the Dem side in NH as of yet has not made the case against Sununu, anyway he is one of the Dems top three targets.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 04:05:16 PM »

The problem is that all of the current candidates have very low name recognition and will have to rais e a lot of money to compete with Sununu.

But he is very vulnerable.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 04:20:59 PM »

The problem is that all of the current candidates have very low name recognition and will have to rais e a lot of money to compete with Sununu.

What if NH goes Republican in 08 is there still a chance that Sununu will be taken down.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2007, 12:05:30 AM »

What if hell freezes over in 08 is there still a chance that Sununu will be taken down.

thats a bit better.  Even with Rudy or McCain I think N.H is too far gone to go for a Republican Presidential candidate.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2007, 01:34:50 AM »

What if NH goes Republican in 08 is there still a chance that Sununu will be taken down.

It won't go Republican unless the Republicans start running on anti-war platforms.  The reason the GOP got trounced in NH in 2006 was b/c of the war and 2008 won't be any different.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies