Georgia State Senate Rules Committee OK's "Confederate Month"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:59:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Georgia State Senate Rules Committee OK's "Confederate Month"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Georgia State Senate Rules Committee OK's "Confederate Month"  (Read 2564 times)
Deano963

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 16, 2007, 12:48:03 AM »

Apparently, this is the Georgia Republicans' idea of a good response to being asked to pass a resolution apologizing for slavery.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070315/ap_on_re_us/confederate_month

This part is particualry funny:

Sen. Jeff Mullis' bill would dub April as Confederate History and Heritage Month to honor the memory of the Confederacy and "all those millions of its citizens of various races and ethnic groups and religions who contributed in sundry and myriad ways to the cause of Southern Independence."

LOL - "various races, ethnic groups and religions that fought for Southern independence"? Yeh, I alwyas forget about all those non-Christian blacks who fought and died so they could have the right to remain slaves Roll Eyes.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 12:51:28 AM »

Confederate Memorial day is in April anyways, has been for years. Actually the original Memorial day also celebrated Confederate veterans. Marylands Confederate memorial day is June 6th and Floridas' is in April as well. Good for Georgia though, it's good to see they are honoring their heritage.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 12:57:00 AM »

I think the northern states should do the same thing... Except it should say "Heritage means nothing when you're not the winner".
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 01:06:08 AM »

I think the northern states should do the same thing... Except it should say "Heritage means nothing when you're not the winner".

You could apply that to Black History month as well, eh? hehe
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 01:12:59 AM »

Since the actual fighting more or less began and ended in April, it's always been a month for reflecting on that portion of our history.  One need only consider the contribution of Jews and the Five Civilized Tribes to the Confederate effort to make the portion you bolded and laughed at to realize that the statement, while somewhat exaggerative, is true.  Indeed, up until the 1830's when additional immigration caused growth elsewhere, Charleston, SC had the largest community of Jews in the U.S., and they never were subjected to restrictions on their civil and political rights that were commonplace elsewhere in the colonies.  Under South Carolina's blue laws, they were free to conduct business on Sunday, so long as they did not do so on Saturday.  (Remnants of those laws are still on the books, although I'm not aware of them being used.)
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 01:19:20 AM »

Still... When the Southern states have to continually rehash that part of history... Or find ways to rehash it... It's really tiresome... How many Northern states yammer on and on about it... There's no "We whipped the Confederates ass in the end" day...

Maybe the north should do something like that... See how fast the south gets pissed off, lol.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 01:21:20 AM »

Since the actual fighting more or less began and ended in April, it's always been a month for reflecting on that portion of our history.  One need only consider the contribution of Jews and the Five Civilized Tribes to the Confederate effort to make the portion you bolded and laughed at to realize that the statement, while somewhat exaggerative, is true.  Indeed, up until the 1830's when additional immigration caused growth elsewhere, Charleston, SC had the largest community of Jews in the U.S., and they never were subjected to restrictions on their civil and political rights that were commonplace elsewhere in the colonies.  Under South Carolina's blue laws, they were free to conduct business on Sunday, so long as they did not do so on Saturday.  (Remnants of those laws are still on the books, although I'm not aware of them being used.)

Correct as usual Ernest. Smiley

Still... When the Southern states have to continually rehash that part of history... Or find ways to rehash it... It's really tiresome... How many Northern states yammer on and on about it... There's no "We whipped the Confederates ass in the end" day...

Maybe the north should do something like that... See how fast the south gets pissed off, lol.

No, the yankees just come down here to Florida and rub it in our noses that they are "better then us" and more tolerant and then, after saying that, they make a racist joke.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 01:24:49 AM »

One of the Keys to Keeping the Yankees Out...Get property values to increase.

Blotting out the sun during winter might work too...considering lots of us move down there to escape the cold.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 01:25:21 AM »

Apparently, this is the Georgia Republicans' idea of a good response to being asked to pass a resolution apologizing for slavery.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070315/ap_on_re_us/confederate_month

This part is particualry funny:

Sen. Jeff Mullis' bill would dub April as Confederate History and Heritage Month to honor the memory of the Confederacy and "all those millions of its citizens of various races and ethnic groups and religions who contributed in sundry and myriad ways to the cause of Southern Independence."

LOL - "various races, ethnic groups and religions that fought for Southern independence"? Yeh, I alwyas forget about all those non-Christian blacks who fought and died so they could have the right to remain slaves Roll Eyes.

There were plenty of Confederate Jews.  And some slaves did "serve" in the Confederate army...but hardly in a voluntary capacity.

As to honoring Confederate history, I have deeply mixed feelings.  To broadbrush the entire South (or even the Confederacy, ca. 1861) is unjust.  There were a few Southerners who opposed slavery on its face.  There were others, and not a small number, who believed -- as Lincoln did for some time -- that human slavery, though evil, would be ended most efficaciously over a period of decades.  

Of course, Lincoln came to his senses and realized that no economic gain produced by human slavery was worth tolerating another minute of that ignoble institution.

But before we Yankees get too high on our white horses, we daresn't forget --

* Long before the Confederate flag was ever conceived of, the "Stars and Stripes" flew over a slave nation.  Not just a "slave region".

* After the slaves were freed, the government did almost nothing to help them.  It was "root, hog or die" for sure.  And what help we did render was often more aimed at punishing white southerners than helping blacks assimilate or relocate.

* In the Jim Crow era, we rightly pointed to egregious violations of human rights in the South.  But we shamefully neglected slightly more subtle, but no less egregious, hate crimes in places like Indiana, Ohio and Michigan.  

I think the whole debate over the Confederacy comes down to this:  It was, for a few years, a foreign power.  And like any other foreign power with whom we engaged in combat, we should respect their war dead.  We needn't respect the cause for which they fought (if we sincerely believe slavery was the issue that drove them -- I do realize that is a hot debate in itself).  

Take the Confederate flag issue.  Should the Stars and Bars (or any of the other CS flag incarnations) be incorporated into state flags or fly over state capitol buildings?  I think not.  Just as the Union Jack should not.  And yes, Hawaii, it's time to remove the Union Jack from your flag.  At the same time, the Confederate flag should be allowed wherever there are Confederate war dead.  Or on national battlefields.  Or over museums.  And absolutely on private property.  I have a neighbor who flies the Italian flag right next to the American flag.  It annoys the hell out of me.  This is America, not Italy.  And what's more, Italy is an old war enemy of ours.

But then I have just answered my own question.  This is America.  And it's my neighbor's property, not government property.  Simple as that.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 01:42:29 AM »

Correct as usual Ernest. Smiley

No, the yankees just come down here to Florida and rub it in our noses that they are "better then us" and more tolerant and then, after saying that, they make a racist joke.

Well if it makes you feel any better... I personally don't like Florida... The temps are just horrid to me... I like my winters... Besides... I'm too fat for a beach state like that, lol...

Oh, and I have relatives who are Southerners... Really, don't care... Never said Southerners were dumb or anything like that... I do like making jokes though... But to be fair... The way alot of people in this city say "Worshington" really gets on my nerves.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 01:44:13 AM »

Why not secede already and take your gangstas with you.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 02:04:55 AM »

Sore losers. Roll Eyes
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 06:52:22 AM »

Black history month isn't an issue, so neither will this.  99% of the population will just keep going.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 08:13:26 AM »

Listen you guys lost in 1865 get over it, drop the accent and become americans.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 01:29:02 PM »

it's good to see they are honoring their heritage as traitors.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2007, 01:31:42 PM »

It is ok cause these kinda things will be long gone in 30 years with the increasing immigration from the north and mexico.  One of the reasons that illegal immigration is actually a good thing. =)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2007, 01:33:15 PM »

Good for Georgia for pass this!
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2007, 02:22:28 PM »

So, do you celebrate the 4th of July?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2007, 02:24:53 PM »

So, do you celebrate the 4th of July?

Of course... But see, that time... The traitors won.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2007, 02:47:26 PM »

Should Bostonians lose their accents, too?  And how about our friends from Joysey and Lawn Geyeland (Long Island)? 

Do I need to stop saying, "Y'inz guys" because I grew up in Pittsburgh? 

Accents are beautiful, whether they come from a good ol boy in Georgia, from a Jamaican or Haitian immigrant or a guy who PAHKS his CAH in HAH-VARD YAHHHD.  I love that about this country.  And it's one of the things that SUCKS about the Midwest.  (Except of course for Minnesoooota.)
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2007, 03:07:07 PM »

Should Bostonians lose their accents, too?  And how about our friends from Joysey and Lawn Geyeland (Long Island)? 

Do I need to stop saying, "Y'inz guys" because I grew up in Pittsburgh? 

Accents are beautiful, whether they come from a good ol boy in Georgia, from a Jamaican or Haitian immigrant or a guy who PAHKS his CAH in HAH-VARD YAHHHD.  I love that about this country.  And it's one of the things that SUCKS about the Midwest.  (Except of course for Minnesoooota.)

I actually love Southern accents personally... I've gotten quite good at it. NEVER EVER EVER stop saying YINZ!!!!!!
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2007, 03:17:39 PM »

It's one word with a soft "d" at the end.  Tongue
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2007, 03:41:28 PM »

I live in a VERY diverse city. Here there are whites, blacks, latinos, asians and others... Pittsburgh is one of the most racially tolerant cities towards homosexuality as well... There is a big Jewish and Catholic population... This city is one big melting pot... I love living here.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2007, 03:44:38 PM »

I live in a VERY diverse city. Here there are whites, blacks, latinos, asians and others... Pittsburgh is one of the most racially tolerant cities towards homosexuality as well... There is a big Jewish and Catholic population... This city is one big melting pot... I love living here.

I loved it too.  But in the interest of full disclosure, I actually lived in Sewickley.  (Though not in a mansion or anything!  LOL)
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2007, 03:46:20 PM »

I loved it too.  But in the interest of full disclosure, I actually lived in Sewickley.  (Though not in a mansion or anything!  LOL)

Well, in the interest of full disclosure, I live in Oakland, lol... They filmed Houseguest in Sewickley... Were you around to see Sinbad and the late, great Phil Hartman?...

That's a nice neighborhood though... Really upscale.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies