Georgia State Senate Rules Committee OK's "Confederate Month"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:21:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Georgia State Senate Rules Committee OK's "Confederate Month"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Georgia State Senate Rules Committee OK's "Confederate Month"  (Read 2560 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2007, 03:56:44 PM »

I live in a VERY diverse city. Here there are whites, blacks, latinos, asians and others... Pittsburgh is one of the most racially tolerant cities towards homosexuality as well... There is a big Jewish and Catholic population... This city is one big melting pot... I love living here.

I loved it too.  But in the interest of full disclosure, I actually lived in Sewickley.  (Though not in a mansion or anything!  LOL)

Well, in the interest of full disclosure, I live in Oakland, lol... They filmed Houseguest in Sewickley... Were you around to see Sinbad and the late, great Phil Hartman?...

That's a nice neighborhood though... Really upscale.

That was after I left.  We moved to the putrid, stinking, cookie-cutter town of Mansfield, Ohio in 1977.  I hated it there and I still hate it.  My parents live there.  You know how much I hate Mansfield?  My wife's parents live in Akron.  AKRON!  And I prefer Akron!  LOL

(Fort Wayne, where I currently live, isn't much better than Mansfield.)

Give me the Burgh any day -- and, failing that, give me Chicago!

Sewickley is upscale, but there is also a middle class (where we fell) and a poor section of town.  A lot of those poorer homes were where servants lived.  They worked in the mansions and lived across the tracks.  Mario Lemieux lives in Sewickley, I think.  I suspect he's comfortable.  ;-)
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2007, 05:17:34 PM »

I don't think Mario lives there anymore... I believe he moved to Upper St. Clair. At least that was my last knowledge.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2007, 08:05:16 PM »

Good for the Georgia state senate.  Too bad Republicans took this initiative and not Democrats.  It's really very sad what's happened to the Georgia state Democratic Party in the past fifteen years.  I bet half of these people are former Dems. 
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2007, 01:00:52 AM »

And some slaves did "serve" in the Confederate army...but hardly in a voluntary capacity.

Actually Louisiana raised volunteer black confederate regiments in 1861 and there were freedmen and slaves who served in the confederate army of their own free will. Their are even black descendents in the UDC and SCV.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2007, 01:26:28 AM »

Actually, the Confedrate Secretary of State's was that good Christian Judah Benjamin.

Oy vey, y'all.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2007, 01:32:27 AM »

Actually, the Confedrate Secretary of State's was that good Christian Judah Benjamin.

Oy vey, y'all.
Ve'll just snip the tip of the United States off...its all da rage!
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2007, 07:56:28 AM »

Listen you guys lost in 1865 get over it, drop the accent and become americans.

Should Bostonians lose their accents, too?  And how about our friends from Joysey and Lawn Geyeland (Long Island)? 

Do I need to stop saying, "Y'inz guys" because I grew up in Pittsburgh? 

Accents are beautiful, whether they come from a good ol boy in Georgia, from a Jamaican or Haitian immigrant or a guy who PAHKS his CAH in HAH-VARD YAHHHD.  I love that about this country.  And it's one of the things that SUCKS about the Midwest.  (Except of course for Minnesoooota.)
No, No, Yes. WHO Says Yinz? WHO?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2007, 08:42:56 AM »

Good for the Georgia state senate. 

Quite. I wouldn't have a problem with this

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Nevertheless, it makes me sick that Republicans have the audacity to commemorate the Confederacy at all

Dave
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2007, 07:31:55 PM »

I don't understand the point of this since it doesn't actually do anything. Regardless of how you feel about the issue, doesn't the state legislature have better things to be doing? This is one of the most retarded examples of political pandering ever.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies