New Hampshire 2008
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:09:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  New Hampshire 2008
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New Hampshire 2008  (Read 2497 times)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 16, 2007, 01:30:49 PM »

What is everybody's opinion on this state, NH has long been a swing state and something teels me with the GOP field being much more moderate then in years past, That this state may flip and go Republican in 08. I think Rudy and Romney both stand good chances at taking this swing state.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 10:45:59 PM »

NH has always been more moderate than its neighbors, but I think it is slightly trending toward the Democrats. It will remain in play in 2008, but I predict the Dems will win it, depending on the candidate.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 11:40:37 PM »

I have a felling the state will go Republican in 08, Because NH doesn't like people like Hillary.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 12:29:29 AM »

I have a felling the state will go Republican in 08, Because NH doesn't like people like Hillary.

Its pretty much finished for the GOP.  Rudy and McCain might make it a tad more interesting, but even with them it won't be that close.  Romney no way.  The GOP has fallen so far and so fast in the state, and its basically done, cooked fried forget about it.  The state is VERY anti-Iraq, with that debacle very likely to be raging on during the time of the election, I think the GOP has virtually no shot in the state.  I really don't think the state will even be that close next year.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 01:30:06 AM »

As demonstrated by 2006 NH also shows no favoritism for the War in Iraq.  No pro-war candidate was a shot in hell here.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 07:57:12 AM »

Its pretty much finished for the GOP.  Rudy and McCain might make it a tad more interesting, but even with them it won't be that close.  Romney no way.  The GOP has fallen so far and so fast in the state, and its basically done, cooked fried forget about it.  The state is VERY anti-Iraq, with that debacle very likely to be raging on during the time of the election, I think the GOP has virtually no shot in the state.  I really don't think the state will even be that close next year.

Still don't write this state off!
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 07:57:44 AM »

As demonstrated by 2006 NH also shows no favoritism for the War in Iraq.  No pro-war candidate was a shot in hell here.

What about Chuck Hagel?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 12:19:24 AM »

What about Chuck Hagel?

1.  Hagel could never win the GOP nomination

2.  Too socially conservative for N.H
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 12:25:43 AM »

New Hampshire is trending Democratic quite fast. Assuming the Democratic candidate is decent, I expect it to go Democrat.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 01:37:48 AM »

What about Chuck Hagel?

However the Iraq war is the biggest issue everywhere and Hagel is more liberal then Hillary on Iraq, So when you're saying that someone like Rudt coun't win in NH because of his support for the Iraq war you're forgeting about an ant-war Republican. 
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2007, 02:18:03 AM »

What about Chuck Hagel?

However the Iraq war is the biggest issue everywhere and Hagel is more liberal then Hillary on Iraq, So when you're saying that someone like Rudt coun't win in NH because of his support for the Iraq war you're forgeting about an ant-war Republican. 

At this point I don't really think ANY Republican could win N.H.  Hagel has no chance at the GOP nom, so the point is mute.  But if you would even assume he could,  I'm not forgetting about an anti-war Republican, I'm just saying being anti war isn't going to win you the state, if your views on other issues don't match up well to the state, which Hagel's don't, especially on social issues.   

Different issues hurt different candidates.  Being in the GOP alone, hurts them in the state at this point.  Rudy's social views are more in line with the state, but his Iraq views bury him, while Hagel's Iraq views might be more in line with his state his views on other issues, social issues especially would bury him there.

Now if you would have a candidate who had Rudy's social views, combined with Hagel's Iraq views than maybe you have somewhat of an argument, more so with a Lincoln Chafee type, but outside of that no, the state has just shifted too much.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2007, 07:34:42 AM »

I have a feeling it will a surprise state in 2008.  Either the GOP will win or it will be WV of 2008
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2007, 08:48:39 AM »

I have a feeling it will a surprise state in 2008.  Either the GOP will win or it will be WV of 2008

It could very well be the West Virginia of 2008.  I could see New Hampshire going Democratic by the comfortable margin of around 53%-45%. 
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2007, 01:56:33 PM »

Still the GOP has a decent shot at this state.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2007, 04:00:08 PM »

it is a lean democrat state.

it isnt a lock for the democrats, particularly if the war is over or winding down by nov 08.

my biggest fear is that the republicans are going to write nh off (and the entire northeast, similar to what the democrats did in the south in the 90s)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2007, 04:24:28 PM »

it isnt a lock for the democrats, particularly if the war is over or winding down by nov 08.

my biggest fear is that the republicans are going to write nh off (and the entire northeast, similar to what the democrats did in the south in the 90s)

I don't think we are going to write off the Northeast just yet, If anything if Rudy is nomenated more Northeastern states besides PA and NH should be up for play this time I would deflintley say NJ would be and ME and if we're lucky CT.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2007, 05:27:10 PM »

The Democrats did not write off the South in the 1990s did they - Clinton carried Arkansas, Tennessee and Louisiana in both 1992 and 1996, and he carried Georgia in 1992 and Florida in 1996.  In 1996, he came close to winning North Carolina, Mississippi and Virginia.

The Democrats arguably started to right off the South after the 2000 elections - when Al Gore failed to carry even his homestate of Tennessee and lost Arkansas and Louisiana - two states he could feasibly have carried.  And the fact that AL-3, a District that the right Democrat could win in, remains in Republican hands, demonstrates that they have written off the South now.  But I do not think they did it in the 1990s - it really occurred after 2000 and especially in 2002 and 2004 - when the Republicans won every open seat up for election in the region and Bush convincingly won every Southern state. 
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2007, 06:03:58 PM »

I see NH going to the dems in 08 just on how much the people there hate the war.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2007, 06:12:42 PM »

The Republicans will win NH if one of these two situtation happen:

1. Guiliani is the Republican nominee.
2. John Edwards is the Democratic nominee. His tax and spend theory will sour the NH voters.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2007, 01:22:02 AM »

The Republicans will win NH if one of these two situtation happen:

1. Guiliani is the Republican nominee.
2. John Edwards is the Democratic nominee. His tax and spend theory will sour the NH voters.

And Guliani's support of the war won't sour them?  Seriously people, anyone who thinks a pro-war Rudy is going to win anything in New England must have been asleep during the 2006 election.  Any and all pro-war candidates WILL LOSE HEAVILY in New England in 2008.  Unless there is some sort of miraculous turn around in the next two years, all of New England is going to be heavily Democratic.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2007, 06:18:31 AM »

In the Democratic column next year.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2007, 09:01:40 AM »

Romney could win it. Giuliani not only could, but would have to win it.  McCain could try to give a fight there.  Overall,  lean Dem, but not (yet?) solid Dem.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2007, 01:55:05 PM »

Romney could win it. Giuliani not only could, but would have to win it.  McCain could try to give a fight there.  Overall,  lean Dem, but not (yet?) solid Dem.

ROMNEY??!!??!!  You must be joking.  McCain would have won it in 2000 just as Bush did but he's done here now.  And once again I must reiterate that anyone who thinks a pro-war candidate will win New Hampshire or anywhere else in New England is still living in a pre-November 2006 world.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2007, 04:25:17 PM »

Obama and Edwards would carry the state easily. If the election is something like Rudy vs Hillary... the GOP will have a shot.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies