Scientific Smackdown: Skeptics Voted The Clear Winners Against Global Warming Be
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 05:11:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Scientific Smackdown: Skeptics Voted The Clear Winners Against Global Warming Be
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Scientific Smackdown: Skeptics Voted The Clear Winners Against Global Warming Be  (Read 3941 times)
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2007, 02:55:44 PM »

I ask the lefties of the forum:
If the Weatherman can't even get a 5-day weather foreccast right, how can we expect people with even less meteorology education to get a 50-year weather forecast right?
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2007, 04:07:31 PM »

I ask the lefties of the forum:
If the Weatherman can't even get a 5-day weather foreccast right, how can we expect people with even less meteorology education to get a 50-year weather forecast right?

Can I tell you exactly what the weather will be on a given day?  No.  But I can tell you that December will be colder than May.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2007, 04:09:31 PM »

I love the fact that it's the most pro-free market people who most deny the Greenhouse effect. It shows that, like all other political issues, what stand one takes on this it has nothing whatsoever to do with facts.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2007, 05:38:08 PM »

I love the fact that it's the most pro-free market people who most deny the Greenhouse effect. It shows that, like all other political issues, what stand one takes on this it has nothing whatsoever to do with facts.

No, it shows that the most pro-free market people tend to be smart enough to know that CO2 and global average temperature both happen to be going up right now is a coincidence. Also, there is no evidence for global warming south of the equator. Also, I would like to argue that even if global warming is caused by CO2 increase, wouldn't the whales contribute more the global warming than humans would?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2007, 05:44:04 PM »

No, it shows that the most pro-free market people tend to be smart enough to know that CO2 and global average temperature both happen to be going up right now is a coincidence. Also, there is no evidence for global warming south of the equator. Also, I would like to argue that even if global warming is caused by CO2 increase, wouldn't the whales contribute more the global warming than humans would?

Sorry while I yawn. I am not a scientist in any way.

Oh, and "There's no monopoly on common sense on either side of the political fence". You libertarians might keep that in mind - some of you are worse than the most fatuous and smug liberal university professor.

I really doubt about the claims of there being no Global warming south of the equator. And again doubts (not solid fact, but doubts) should not get in the way of trying to reform enviormental policy. There's a risk that your quoted scientists are wrong, and it's too big a risk if they are right.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2007, 05:49:29 PM »

Sorry while I yawn. I am not a scientist in any way.

Oh, and "There's no monopoly on common sense on either side of the political fence". You libertarians might keep that in mind - some of you are worse than the most fatuous and smug liberal university professor.

I really doubt about the claims of there being no Global warming south of the equator. And again doubts (not solid fact, but doubts) should not get in the way of trying to reform enviormental policy. There's a risk that your quoted scientists are wrong, and it's too big a risk if they are right.

I oppose pollution and all, but I find it ridiculous to regulate a substance that is coming out of our mouths and noses and I type, just because there are some fear mongers out there.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2007, 05:56:34 PM »

Look I'm a global warming skeptic (though it must said there is a natural release of CO2 into the atmosphere so talking about cows farting, human breathing is irrelevant.) but when the scientific consesus believes that we should at least put massive barriers against CO2 pollution, then we should do so.

But you are too attached to a rich lifestyle to do that.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2007, 07:17:49 PM »

It's a fact that everything else being the same, an increase in CO2 increases temperature. This can be seen from simple experiments, or from the precise data from the last 200 years.

Actuall it is false that "everything else" has been the same.  Methane has increased more dramatically that CO2,  more than doubling since industrialization.  CO2 went from c. 280 PPM to 365 PPM in 1998 (29% increase).  Methane (CH4) went from c. 700 PPB to 1745 PPB in 1998 (149% increase).  Both are greenhouse gasses.

http://www.grida.no/climate/ipcc_tar/wg1/016.htm
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2007, 11:19:30 PM »

Yawn.  Denying global warming is as stupid as denying evolution.  The same % of the scientific community does both.

It's so typical that the Republicans have politicized this what-should-be-apolitical moral issue.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2007, 10:09:56 AM »

The National Weather Service doesn't even accept it as a valid phenomenon caused by humans.  And I believe the number is around 17% of scientists.

uh, WTF?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2007, 11:03:32 AM »

Yawn.  Denying global warming is as stupid as denying evolution.  The same % of the scientific community does both.

It's so typical that the Republicans have politicized this what-should-be-apolitical moral issue.

Funny, bc in an article by Thomas Sowell, it says that many of the scientists that signed that document didn't even approve of it, the people just asked for their name. Does anyone remember the "Next Ice Age" fear during the 70's? I wold also like to point out a correlation between government spending and global average temperature:

MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2007, 07:48:48 AM »

"Let’s have the NRDC (Natural Resources Defense Council), the Sierra Club and Greenpeace make it a rule that all of their members, cannot fly on private jets. They must get their houses off the [power] grid. They must live in the way that they’re telling everyone else to live. And if they won’t do that, why should we? And why should we take them seriously?" Crichton said to applause audience.

The fact that you quote Michael Crichton, - a science fiction writer - to make your argument says more about your intelligence (or lack thereof) than anyone else could.

Obviously the fact that you chose that post in a futile attempt to insult me says more about your own lack of reading comprehension than any implied lack of intelligence on my part.  Here, feel free to read the continuation of that quote here.  The quote is great since it puts the focus back on those who are yelling at people to change the way they live their lives without changing their own.  How about I told you that you couldn't eat Pizza because it is bad for the environment, but then I turn around and go to Pizza Hut for dinner?  "Acta Non Verba" my friend.  "Deeds, not Words."  Feel free to take your foot out of your mouth whenever you like.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies