map request: 1970 tx senate race.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:38:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  map request: 1970 tx senate race.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: map request: 1970 tx senate race.  (Read 927 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 21, 2007, 01:18:10 PM »

i dont know if it is possible, but id love to see a texas us senate map from 1970, the george bush vs loyd bentsen race.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 03:32:46 PM »

I don't know if those results can be found on the web without paying money for them.

Bentsen won the race 53-47.  I suspect Bush did well (as always) in the cities of Houston, Dallas and their surrounding suburbs (small at the time), along with the (always Republican) German areas.  Bentsen probably did well in rural white Texas and along the border.

What could be interesting is that I suspect Bentsen did poorly in liberal areas of the state, like Austin.  He defeated the liberal Texas senator Ralph Yarborough in the Democratic primaries that year with a law-and-order platform and support for the Vietnam War.  Many Texas liberals at that time feared he would lead the Democratic party back to the right to being the party of John Connally and (gasp!) Allan Shivers.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 03:38:01 PM »

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Bentsen won this race chiefly because the Nixon White House was more interested in defeating Ralph Yarborough than capturing the Senate seat itself - thus when Bentsen knocked him off in the Primary their attention shifted elsewhere.  I think Nixon also visited the state right at the end of the campaign in order to help Bush but it was not enough because of a particularly strong rural Democratic turnout - Bentsen's base for all his victories between 1970-88.  Bush had previously lost a race to Yarborough in 1964, 56%-43%.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 04:18:03 PM »

isnt it true that lbj also hated yarborough?
RBH

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 05:05:28 PM »

LBJ was the ultimate politician, so he could have hated Yarborough without wanting him gone.

As for the county results, they're on the CQ Voting & Election thing, which some schools offer as part of the online database package.

But, they're results which list Bush, Bentsen, and votes for other. And they may not be comprehensive results.

Seeing a results map for Bentsen/Yarborough would be a lot of fun too.

But, I did make a map for Bush/Bentsen based off the numbers listed on the CQ database:

Areas of strength for Bush: German Texas, Dallas, Houston, Midland/Odessa, College Station, Amarillo, Lubbock.

Results from the five largest counties (Bexar, Dallas, Harris, Tarrant, Travis), making up 961,140 votes: 54/46 Bush

Results from the rest of Texas, making up 1,270,531 votes: 59/41 Bentsen
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 05:33:23 PM »

thanks rbh!

interesting map.
RBH

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 06:27:22 PM »

Here's a map for 1988, which Bentsen won 59/40

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 06:51:08 PM »

What could be interesting is that I suspect Bentsen did poorly in liberal areas of the state, like Austin. 

Called that one right
RBH

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 09:41:37 PM »

It should be noted that Bentsen was the Congressman for the Border district in the 40s.

But even with that, he still ran 13 points behind Humphrey's showing in Starr County for some reason.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies