What Gives You Away as Being "Low Class"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:44:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What Gives You Away as Being "Low Class"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: What Gives You Away as Being "Low Class"  (Read 12479 times)
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2007, 10:12:11 PM »

the lack of hubcaps on my crappy car (though having a car  puts me in a class above a lot  of folks), and the fact that i smoke parliaments.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2007, 04:41:08 PM »

My address.
Jens
Angola

« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2007, 05:02:11 PM »

Addresses can cheat. I live in an extremely exclusive area on a very fancy road , but in a tiny old flat - the only address on the road that isn't fancy Cheesy

On the other hand. One thing that I consider bad behaviour is eating with your elbows on the table and with the fork in your right hand. I wouldn't call it low class, just not having been raised properly.
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2007, 05:28:50 PM »

Wait, what happened to "my parents don't give me anything but food and shelter"?
Besides, Rin-chan had to pay for her lift tickets in Vail and Breckenridge.

I did.  It was my Christmas money from my grandma.  Considering I didn't have a job at the time, I wasn't very happy about it.

Rin-chan
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2007, 05:53:59 PM »

The way I speak gives me away as being upper-middle class.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2007, 05:59:20 PM »

Not to be flippant, but I've always thought this was more of an east coast thing.  I don't notice much of this sort of thing going on.

At worst, swearing, I guess.

What, ketchup on eggs or "breeding"?

Obviously, the west coast has no such thing as "low class" people.  We are all jolly old Englishmen in top hats and silk suits.

Haha, no.

You... you don't wear a top hat?Huh....... What is wrong with you!!!!!!!! Tongue
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2007, 06:26:58 PM »

The way I speak gives me away as being upper-middle class.

How does that sound exactly?  I speak a sort of flat, unaccented standard American English, and was raised petite bourgeois, but I never really connected the two.  In my experience many working people also speak a flat, unaccented standard American English.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2007, 06:56:52 PM »

It's not my accent, though that's clearly not working class Dublin either, it's the words I choose.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2007, 07:10:08 PM »

It's not my accent, though that's clearly not working class Dublin either, it's the words I choose.

Oh I just assumed you weren't actually Irish.. it is a bit different there. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2007, 07:36:21 PM »

Addresses can cheat. I live in an extremely exclusive area on a very fancy road , but in a tiny old flat - the only address on the road that isn't fancy Cheesy

On the other hand. One thing that I consider bad behaviour is eating with your elbows on the table and with the fork in your right hand. I wouldn't call it low class, just not having been raised properly.

The fork would make most of America "low class."  Only a left handed person would eat with his left hand.

I live in a neighborhood that is suppose to be in the ghetto, violent, where everyone uses drugs.  It isn't like that, but as soon as I say "North Philly," everybody assumes that I'm a bad ass.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2007, 07:43:30 PM »

The fork would make most of America "low class."  Only a left handed person would eat with his left hand.

I live in a neighborhood that is suppose to be in the ghetto, violent, where everyone uses drugs.  It isn't like that, but as soon as I say "North Philly," everybody assumes that I'm a bad ass.

I acctually use my utelsils "European" Style.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2007, 02:12:51 AM »

It just makes me assume that you smell terrible.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2007, 02:27:28 AM »

It just makes me assume that you smell terrible.

Actually, it is better smelling than Southwest Phila and most of downtown Baltimore.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2007, 03:50:31 AM »

I acctually use my utelsils "European" Style.

Me too.. my mother always insisted that we do so.  Interestingly here in Thailand one eats with the fork in the left hand, and a large spoon in the right - it is wonderfully effective! Great at getting all the sauce or curry soaked rice.  Now when at home I often eat this way, except the spoon provided is usually small, so it looks rather funny.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2007, 04:15:25 AM »

Wow.  Both etiquette courses I took at university emphasized that the American and Continental styles are equally acceptable.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2007, 06:31:11 AM »

I eat pork cracklins (freedom food), I doubt many rich folks eat that, hahaha.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2007, 07:02:29 PM »

Are pork cracklins those deepfried pieces of pig hide?  Those taste alright, but I'd rather just eat bacon.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2007, 07:11:32 PM »

Elbows on the table, maybe, but trifling with which hand the fork is held in?  Come on.

If there's one thing in life I hate, it's "etiquette", by which I mean completely and utterly arbitrary rules and regulations about how someone ought to behave with absolutely no tangible and objective benefit whatsoever.  I honestly don't care how utensils are laid out and which is used for what and which hand they're held in as long as they work, nor do I see why anyone would.

If this makes me not raised "properly", then the standards ought to be changed, not the people.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2007, 01:04:27 AM »

Are pork cracklins those deepfried pieces of pig hide?  Those taste alright, but I'd rather just eat bacon.

Yep, sure are. Actually, upon reading, I'm amazed how popular they actually are in the world outside the south. They are very popular in Mexico as well.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2007, 09:30:26 AM »

My eating habits.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2007, 01:13:19 PM »

Yep, sure are. Actually, upon reading, I'm amazed how popular they actually are in the world outside the south. They are very popular in Mexico as well.

Thailand too! 
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2007, 02:47:21 PM »

States, you'd probably like Grammelschmalz... which is a German specialty of everything that drips and falls off of a roasted pig back when being roasted.  It has a very strong burnt bacon flavor with little crunchy bits with a shortening/melts in your mouth filler that you spread on bread.

I found it disgusting... mostly for health reasons, but if you like pork cracklings, this would just be the next step up Smiley 

Here it is spread on black bread:

MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2007, 03:45:42 PM »

I don't know about "low class," but I am a big jeans and t-shirt kinda guy.  Most of my t-shirts are a few years old, so they are faded a frayed in some spots.  But then again, I don't get "dressed up" to go to Lowes or Staples or anything.  I don't see the point.  hahaha
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2007, 03:49:40 PM »

I don't know about "low class," but I am a big jeans and t-shirt kinda guy.  Most of my t-shirts are a few years old, so they are faded a frayed in some spots.  But then again, I don't get "dressed up" to go to Lowes or Staples or anything.  I don't see the point.  hahaha

'Big jeans'?  As in baggy? Wink

But seriously, you must wear the business suit to work, no?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2007, 04:11:49 PM »

'Big jeans'?  As in baggy? Wink

But seriously, you must wear the business suit to work, no?

hahaha . . . sorry, that should have been "blue" jeans.  *laughs*  Yes, I wear appropriate work attire into the office, but once I get home, the real "me" comes out with my jeans and t-shirts.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies