Where are all the non-smoking drinkers?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:47:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Where are all the non-smoking drinkers?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Where are all the non-smoking drinkers?  (Read 1946 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 23, 2007, 05:08:29 AM »

www.ukiphome.com/comments.asp?sid=1907

SO WHERE ARE ALL THE NON-SMOKING DRINKERS?

56% of Scottish pubs have reported a fall in the number of customers since the smoking ban began, with a third of the total number of Scottish pubs being forced to sack staff as a result of falling income.

But where are all these supposed untapped drinkers who were "holding off" going to the pub because they didn't want to drink in a smoky atmosphere?

Could it be that they never existed in the first place?

All three of the LibLabCon-sensus support the nanny-state ban on smoking, despite its negative health impact on children (as more people smoke at home) and damage to the pubs industry.

All the reasons for a complete ban on smoking in pubs
are beginning to unravel.

Smoking and non-smoking may not mix, but landlords should be given the freedom to choose whether they run a smoking or non-smoking establishment.

I'm happy to wager which type will be more profitable as the BBC article confirms.

This is an example of how banning smoking in pubs can be a good thing for business. It is based on free decision making rather than making it illegal. http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/NEWSW16.html
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 09:33:02 AM »

Typical north european social engineering combined with the anglophone world's... retardation about smoking. Yawn.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 03:39:09 PM »

That's odd, I've heard not much at all has happened because of Hennepin County's smoking ban.  I'd assume there are mitigating factors in both.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 03:44:02 PM »

That's good.  So not only could I enjoy a night out without having to watch my own breathing, and eventually leaving without my clothes and hair smelling awful, but I can even get served at the bar quicker too!

... if I lived in Scotland, I guess.  Oh well.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 07:54:08 PM »

That's good.  So not only could I enjoy a night out without having to watch my own breathing, and eventually leaving without my clothes and hair smelling awful, but I can even get served at the bar quicker too!

I hope you're not being serious.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 08:49:16 PM »

Why wouldn't I be?
Jens
Angola

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 04:01:43 PM »

I'm really looking forward to this summer when Denmark finally gets a anti-smoking law. Hate the smell of tobacco and the fact that I can't sit in a bar and enjoy a beer without getting smoke in my lungs.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 06:13:41 PM »

non-smoking drinker, represent!
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 06:18:27 PM »

You could also if you lived here or Minneapolis. And probably likely soon, the entire state of Minnesota. Smiley
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 06:36:26 PM »

Ohio too - as of the last elections - but this particular article focused on Scotland.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 11:16:15 PM »

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2007, 06:50:44 AM »

Germany will soon become the last EU country to pass a (loopholed) ban. Sad
Well, the German states will pass highly but not quite similar bans - the feds lack the constitutional authority to do it. Grin
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2007, 08:00:01 AM »

...?  I don't follow.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 05:56:13 PM »

All bans on smoking in pubs or clubs should be entirely voluntary. A non-smoker is not forced to patronise such an establishment, which permits smoking

This is another measure enacted by a Labour government [not to mention it's final form unmanifestotutional Sad ] that won't play well in working class former mining communities such as mine once it comes into effect

Dave
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2007, 06:17:22 PM »

All bans on smoking in pubs or clubs should be entirely voluntary. A non-smoker is not forced to patronise such an establishment, which permits smoking

I honestly don't know how it is in Britain, but in my part of the world, you'd have to travel fairly far and wide to find a non-smoking bar (before November last year, anyway).  Some of them might have separated smoking and non-smoking areas, which are of course entirely meaningless.  My point is this; if you hate smoking but you wanted to enjoy a night out, your choices were very limited.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2007, 11:49:58 PM »

It is unfortunate that most smokers are such absolute shrubs that will light up regardless of who is around them.  If most of them did take a look, most of the population will not be mad at them, and most likely this sort of forced social engineering won't take place.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 08:24:14 AM »

I honestly don't know how it is in Britain, but in my part of the world, you'd have to travel fairly far and wide to find a non-smoking bar (before November last year, anyway).  Some of them might have separated smoking and non-smoking areas, which are of course entirely meaningless.  My point is this; if you hate smoking but you wanted to enjoy a night out, your choices were very limited.

So what? The government's primary job should be to protect your rights, not to make things convenient for you. Last time I checked there's no right to convenience.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2007, 03:05:46 PM »

So what? The government's primary job should be to protect your rights, not to make things convenient for you. Last time I checked there's no right to convenience.

I honestly don't really care about the philosophy of whether the government should be able to ban smoking or not.  Perhaps if I was a smoker I might, but I'm not.  (I know you aren't either, but our priorities are different anyway.)  As long as I can enjoy myself and make my own choices about what's good and bad for my health, without having the latter inflicted upon me by total strangers, then that's good enough for me.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2007, 04:08:27 PM »

Speaking of Scottish pubs banning people who make the atmosphere unpleasant for their fellow patrons...

http://www.dunfermlinepress.com/news/story.php?story_id=411
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2007, 10:02:10 AM »

Speaking of Scottish pubs banning people who make the atmosphere unpleasant for their fellow patrons...

http://www.dunfermlinepress.com/news/story.php?story_id=411

LOL
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2007, 03:45:32 PM »

Cigarette smoke as deodorant, eh?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2007, 05:08:46 PM »

It didn't hurt New York:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=990DE2D91E30F93AA15750C0A9629C8B63&sec=health
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies